My Aluminum Wheel Warning For those who tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
with 180K can u tell me any problems that you might have had with the truck? I have the same year and model with only 25K--kinda looking into the future for me!

Not answering for him but his truck's constant use @ 100k miles a year may have different results when compared to a low mile use, occasional tow used truck. Especially when it comes to the emission equipment.
Upto this point he may have had minimal to no issues for the most part. These trucks like to be worked.
Just something to consider. Hard to compare a hotshot truck to a weekend warrior.

OP
OP
J

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
***with 180K can u tell me any problems that you might have had with the truck? I have the same year and model with only 25K--kinda looking into the future for me!***
Like CrewDually said, it's apples and oranges.
My issues so far have been minimal. I think mostly because my truck is constantly moving. I take it relatively easy in terms of maximum versus my towed weight. I dont push the truck to it's maximum.

A few interesting observations, and tips:
1. Use the factory air filter. I posted this before, but in case you missed it- I was towing my trailer and a fairly light load up Donner Pass in California when my truck went into limp mode and the check engine light came on.
I read it with my scanner and it said "insufficient airflow past MAF". It turned out my brand new (less than 200 miles) Auto Zone air filter was too restrictive when the truck needed maximum air intake.

2. The rear 3rd brakelight leaks now. It's an issue that I was waiting to happen since it seems fairly endemic to the Ram and there's a factory recall on it. (Im past the mileage so it's going to be an out-of-pocket expense for me.

3. Right front tire has ALWAYS had unusual outside wear on it. I've had it aligned, sometimes 2-3 times during a tires's life cycle, and have had varying success but it always seems to show up eventually on every set of tires. Tires with LARGE blocks or a full shoulder on the outer wall buys me some extra time versus highway tires.

I don't rotate tires any more. I'd rather get a full 50k out of the 4 dually wheels, and replace the fronts as needed than to spread the wear along to other tires. (besides, I burn through 2 sets of tires a year anyway.

4. The Radio has "frozen" where none of its controls work (steering wheel, touch screen, or knobs).
It's happened about 5-6 times now and the only remedy is to remove the fuse and let it reboot itself. I have the Laramie package with the large display screen with all the cool (weather map, Fuel Prices, Nav screen) stuff on it.
By the way the inline fuse is located along the fire wall on the PASSENGER side of the engine compartment. in a tiny black flip top capsule. It's NOT in the fusebox. I ended up stopping at a dealership who actually had to look it up because no one knew where it was.

5. If you want to sleep overnight in the truck, and need to keep something plugged in (in my case it's a CPAP), and don't want to run the engine all night, invest in a battery clip-to-12V (cigarette lighter) adapter, and plug in a power inverter. If your lucky your power inverter cord will reach under the hood to the 12v adapter, and the cord will fit in the front of the door when you close it, onto the dash. and you can plug in any standard household outlet product, within reason, that is. The Dual batteries provide enough reserve capacity to power it and still start right up even on the coldest mornings. The IN-dash power plug shuts off after 15 (20??) minutes.

6. Stay on top of the fuel filter water separator drain intervals. And dont let the diesel fuel filter go longer than 20k miles. I let my water separator drain every 7500-10,000 miles. Water will destroy a diesel fuel injection pump and all it takes is one contaminated service station.

7. These engines hate bio diesel blends any higher than 5%. All truck stops have blends of "up to 20%". The higher the blend, the worse the MPG.
Also- buy your DEF at the pump at truck stops. It's far cheaper for the same stuff than the boxed stuff. Remember if you pre-pay for Diesel and DEF, you have to stop pumping the fuel with at least $10 left on it, or you can't pump DEF. It is possible to purchase DEF only at the pump. It just has to be for more than $10. $15 usually fills an empty DEF tank.

Thats all for now.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Wow, I had idea this could even happen. I dont bother rotating the tires on my dually either.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
One thing to note, Ford & these RAMs (atleast my 2018) do NOT come with Alcoa's. The wheels are a knock off look alike. Alcoa is a proud company that stamps their name in every wheel. I don't see the name on my RAMs wheels and I know for sure my Ford's are not Alcoa from the factory (stamped Ford).
This might not matter to some but certainly does to others.
If anyone has contrary info let me know.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Had my back wheels off today (2018 Limited DRW) to move spring pack around to lower it an inch, and I found the stamping. Not Alcoas and made in China to top it all off.
20201031_230023.jpg

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aluminum wheels no matter who makes them or what brand will contract and expand during temperature changes. I’m with OP on thinking the failure was a result of the heat which caused not only tire pressure to go up but compounded the issue by making the wheel expand. Aluminum will contract more in colder climates and expand more causing inflation pressure changes and vice versa. Think of aluminum heads on a steel block. So if the tire pressure’s at 91lbs and it was a hot day and he was towing it added up to the catastrophic wheel failure.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Aluminum wheels no matter who makes them or what brand will contract and expand during temperature changes. I’m with OP on thinking the failure was a result of the heat which caused not only tire pressure to go up but compounded the issue by making the wheel expand. Aluminum will contract more in colder climates and expand more causing inflation pressure changes and vice versa. Think of aluminum heads on a steel block. So if the tire pressure’s at 91lbs and it was a hot day and he was towing it added up to the catastrophic wheel failure.

Just curious of your opinion,
You have 2 choices for new Aluminum Cylinder heads.
Edelbrock made in America heads or Dicastal made in China heads? If you chose China heads would you be surprised if they crack?
Point is Alcoa's I believe have a more strict quality control and the Alloy would be stronger than the China made Chrysler wheel.
I agree heat & load can play a roll but this cracking in my opinion is an alloy manufacturer issue. They appear to be a cast wheels, not forged or milled from a billet.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
My 14 has the alcoa wheels, at least they are decaled and labeled as such. This might have been before they cheaped out.

View attachment 226246

Thanks for attaching the pic. It looks like Dicastal of North America formed in August of 2014, right around the time Dicastal in China blew up killing around 70 people. Maybe that's around the time they made the switch so maybe you're a lucky one.
Here's the website and they have FCA listed as a customer.
https://www.dicastalna.com/

The Alcoas are a forged wheel making them stronger than the cast wheel from Dicastal.
I almost expect to find cracks in my wheels now after this research. ‍:boxed:

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious of your opinion,
You have 2 choices for new Aluminum Cylinder heads.
Edelbrock made in America heads or Dicastal made in China heads? If you chose China heads would you be surprised if they crack?
Point is Alcoa's I believe have a more strict quality control and the Alloy would be stronger than the China made Chrysler wheel.
I agree heat & load can play a roll but this cracking in my opinion is an alloy manufacturer issue. They appear to be a cast wheels, not forged or milled from a billet.
So, far as my opinion to your question I think it’s subjective. If the the China heads were made to U.S. manufacturing standards which many products are and if they cracked, would I be surprised, no I’d be pissed. On the same note I ‘d be pissed at Edelbrock too if theirs did it.
I’ve got a 12 Power Wagon with a Warn winch and although it’s made in the USA they do have a global supply chain and here’s where our responsibility as consumers comes in to know what we are purchasing because all Manufacturers have a responsibility to provide us with a product that says made in the USA is made in the USA.
Remember whether we think it’s inferior or not the Manufacturer gets to decide how well their product is made. The real responsibility lies with the product importer. The Manufacturer designs the products, defines tolerances, does inspections, and tests end products to make sure that non-US manufacturers are doing exactly what they want. Therefore it’s not the product but the tolerances accepted by the Manufacturer and when they cheap out on us we end up with failed wheels, destroyed engines and failed winches.

Landon3443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just now had this happen had the truck less than 6 months ! Are a tire up and rim cracked! It’s ridiculous and Hwy Patrol said this is a safety hazard and are calling dodge!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is the same with tools
Some USA companies actually machine the tools themselves & a co-packer adds the stickers & packages the tools

Other tool companies outsource the machining to some other country & the USA company does any assembly, adds the stickers & do the packaging

Both companies can claim the products to be made in the USA

I live & work around San Diego
I see semi trucks hauling vehicle wheels going back & forth into & out of the Ports of Entry between the USA & Mexico
I think they are welded up in Los Angeles & sent to Mexico for Chroming or Powder Coating

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just now had this happen had the truck less than 6 months ! Are a tire up and rim cracked! It’s ridiculous and Hwy Patrol said this is a safety hazard and are calling dodge!

Sure they are. :manos: