My built n ordered Ram 1500 showed up with wrong rear end ratio

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Nbachorn, Aug 7, 2019.

1. RamblingRIck

RamblingRIck Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Cummins
    I would think the buyer holds the cards on this as it would be a contract situation where the terms of the contract (i.e. vehicle specs) were not met. Realistically the error falls on the MFG as they would be responsible for the order system and manufacture. My going in position would be let me know when my new truck is ready and I will return this at that time. Then consider alternatives. It may be too late in 2019 and you might end up with a 2020.

2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So your advice is for him to spend $3000 versus addng the oem $125 option? :hmm:

desync0, smiley, JoeCo and 1 other person like this.
  3. JoeCo

JoeCo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thought the same thing when I saw that, if you're going pay that much more it should probably be on a more drastic gear swap.

4. bruce allen

bruce allen Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    It will all depend on how FCA certified the truck build combinations. If your configuration wasn't tested then your best bet is to get them to put a 3.92 in the truck

5. Elijah

Elijah Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Here is my .02.
    If you definitely will be towing anything in excess of 5000lbs, or putting larger tires on you want the 3.92 INSTALLED on the truck from the factory.
    If your truck comes with 3.21 DON'T take the truck.
    Yes you can have them change the gears but doing so you only F yourself.
    You only get a dealership warranty on the gears and not MOPAR warranty.

I know because I spent months looking into all of this.
    I have the lifetime warranty on my truck but if I change the gears out now I loose that and only get a few years from the dealership and that is not worth it for me.

At least for me, it wasn't for me to get the 3.55 on my 2017 with the 5.7 & 4x4.
    So, if your contract states 3.55 and they deliver the truck with 3.92, keep it.
    If the truck comes with 3.21 and you will be towing lots / heavy then send it back.

likes2build likes this.
  6. Whiz

Whiz Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    Agree with everyone. Not available with your configuration. If that important hope they take back and you can go from there.

7. Allan_s

Allan_s Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yes it is available, I have 3.55 in my 5.7 Hemi, Express edition Tradesman. My window sticker didn't have it mentioned and when I crawled under the truck I noticed the 3.55 sticker in the diff.

My dealer, in Ontario Canada, said "nope, it's 3.21" -- my built sheet says 3.55. it is a 3.55!

8. Thomas Haslam

Thomas Haslam Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hey Hi have got a question I own a 2017 ram 2 wheel drive hemi crew cab.when I come to a stop then step on the gas I feel a clunk like the rear end it rotates. The dealership said they couldn't find anything wrong. I've got 54,000 on it

9. buddy guy

buddy guy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    you're probably better off putting up a separate post with that question. will likely get more feedback. its pretty off topic here aside from being a rear end issue:)

Rado, smiley and Batt4Christ like this.
  10. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    My prediction - a major PITB (Pain In The Buttocks)! You may get an acknowledgment from FCA that they made a mistake (in either training or computer/site programming), but as others have stated - the 5.7 supposedly isn't available with the 3.55 regardless of configurations and trim levels/packages. Period.

Is it technically a possibility to build such a truck? ABsolutely. IN fact - I find it totally insane that the 3.55 isn't even an option with the HEMI, as it seems to be the perfect ratio. Sometimes manufacturers do really dumb things. This is one of them.

What "should" happen? The right thing to do by FCA and your dealership (since they will NOT custom build you a 3.55 truck) is to either give you a discount/partial refund as a "courtesy", or offer to buy the truck back.

Please do keep us updated!

buddy guy likes this.