My cummins sounds weird at idle!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
about 2 months ago i was pulling up to a jobsite and came to s stop and put my truck into reverse and my truck was idling really weird, almost lopey like it has a cam and it was sort of moaning and groaning. i parked it and hoped it was nothing, when i drove it home it was still doing it sitting in traffic so i parked it over night. I started it the next day to take it to the dealership and it wasn't doing it so i drove it around to get the truck warm and then it started again i immediately took it to the dealer they came back saying the noise i was hearing was my front hubs squealing, because my bearings were bad. I explained to them it makes the noise even when sitting still. They eventually said it was probably my hydroboost lines to my steering pump, so they held the truck for two weeks to tell me they cant get the hydroboost lines so i took the truck back and have been driving it since but it still slightly moans and groans but not like it did initially. I am not convinced its the hydroboost lines the truck only has 90k miles on it and its a 2014 but i just cant figure out what the hell the problem is. i dont seem to have any issues with the steering so im assuming my power steering pump is fine, they apparently checked my idler pullies and they are fine too, although i have not confirmed that myself. Has anyone ever experienced this issue? the sound almost seems to be coming from closer up by the firewall on the drivers side. Any input or suggestions would be a huge help!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Noises are always hard... especially when they occur infrequently and aren't accompanied by some performance problem or failure. If there's no warranty clock ticking (or long trip planned) the best thing is to just give it some time.

Fwiw, I had a somewhat similar situation with my 2008 Honda Odyssey and it turned out to be a (known) problem with the power steering pump. The noise was only after driving for a while and was up near the firewall. I've put 40K miles on it since I first noticed (and identified) the problem and nothing has failed. Apples and oranges obviously. As hard as it is to do I'd just wait and see.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's almost impossible to internet troubleshoot a noise.

But you said "the sound almost seems to be coming from closer up by the firewall on the drivers side."

That is right where the hydroboost is and the fact that you are not throwing any codes (I assume) would probably point to that as a likely suspect.

OP
OP
R

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Noises are always hard... especially when they occur infrequently and aren't accompanied by some performance problem or failure. If there's no warranty clock ticking (or long trip planned) the best thing is to just give it some time.

Fwiw, I had a somewhat similar situation with my 2008 Honda Odyssey and it turned out to be a (known) problem with the power steering pump. The noise was only after driving for a while and was up near the firewall. I've put 40K miles on it since I first noticed (and identified) the problem and nothing has failed. Apples and oranges obviously. As hard as it is to do I'd just wait and see.
no warranty anymore, the noise is always there its just a lot more subtle. a steering pump is pretty cheap so i think i may start by swapping that and seeing what happens, if its not the issue ill just return it. then ill try my hyrdoboost lines.

OP
OP
R

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
It's almost impossible to internet troubleshoot a noise.

But you said "the sound almost seems to be coming from closer up by the firewall on the drivers side."

That is right where the hydroboost is and the fact that you are not throwing any codes (I assume) would probably point to that as a likely suspect.

i sure hope its not the hydroboost, i think thats pretty expensive to replace.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45