My drop 3/5 :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
looks good.. need some fatter wheels :)

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
1cffbe03c5a0500f71f644c63dab5a0e.jpgac08a0c4d9dc9fa61efa23569c836add.jpg

I know I'll get asked why I no longer have the 20s. And that's because I traded wheels and tires for the drop kit becaus I knew I'd get rid of those 20s anyways. Seemed like a good deal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you need to notch or delete anything I am planning on doing the same drop

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
No I didn’t

How much clearance do you have? Or do you have yo avoid every little bump on the road. And what size rim are you on think I would be fine with 20"s?

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Did you need to notch or delete anything I am planning on doing the same drop
I've made measurements for the rear axle. As long as you remove your bump stops, you'll have the same apace axle-to-frame on a 3/5.5 as you would axle-to-bumpstop on a shackle drop. Which is about 4" of clearance.

Imo, 3/5 is the best all round drop from my research. Wish I could've experienced it, but I got rid of my truck for something more fun and fuel efficient. Btw, you can get 3" v8 drop springs on ebay. Or you can spend more money and go with 3" drop lower control arms. Theoretically, arms should keep your suspension geometry where springs won't, but I don't know anything about them, really, aside from that they're $300 on their own, so yeah.

Talk to Demon-HeMi if you can't find them or if you want/want to ask anything else. He's a ******* dude and can do/has done anything/everything with these trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jotin

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much clearance do you have? Or do you have yo avoid every little bump on the road. And what size rim are you on think I would be fine with 20"s?

I did end up going with the 2006 Ram 20” wheel, I had not issued at all. I actually don’t have the truck anymore so I don’t have any measurements for you. But as long as I wasn’t hauling a$$ over but pot holes or huge dips, I didn’t have any issues. I also had the shock extenders and used newer ram shocks. They worked great.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
I did end up going with the 2006 Ram 20” wheel, I had not issued at all. I actually don’t have the truck anymore so I don’t have any measurements for you. But as long as I wasn’t hauling a$$ over but pot holes or huge dips, I didn’t have any issues. I also had the shock extenders and used newer ram shocks. They worked great.

I also have extenders any other tips for a first time lower

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
I've made measurements for the rear axle. As long as you remove your bump stops, you'll have the same apace axle-to-frame on a 3/5.5 as you would axle-to-bumpstop on a shackle drop. Which is about 4" of clearance.

Imo, 3/5 is the best all round drop from my research. Wish I could've experienced it, but I got rid of my truck for something more fun and fuel efficient. Btw, you can get 3" v8 drop springs on ebay. Or you can spend more money and go with 3" drop lower control arms. Theoretically, arms should keep your suspension geometry where springs won't, but I don't know anything about them, really, aside from that they're $300 on their own, so yeah.

Talk to Demon-HeMi if you can't find them or if you want/want to ask anything else. He's a ******* dude and can do/has done anything/everything with these trucks.
I already got a amazing deal I got lowering springs and everything else I need for my lower for $200 along with a bunch of other parts it is a flip kit with shock extenders and lower springs for the front

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
And while people are answering can someone explain the basics of the install I pretty much know how to do everything however do I need to remove my bed?

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
And while people are answering can someone explain the basics of the install I pretty much know how to do everything however do I need to remove my bed?
No. I did drop shackles and didn't need to remove the bed it's kinda tight back there, though and a bit awkward.

What you absolutely need to do is have the new spring perches WELDED on at the exact same angle and position as the stock ones. Otherwise, well... Imagine if you kick it sideways and then end up driving around with one-sided negative offset. Or if torque twist rotates your axle inside the perches and binds the drive-shaft.

I'll pm you a detailed breakdown when I get on my pc. How soon are you planning to do this?

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
No. I did drop shackles and didn't need to remove the bed it's kinda tight back there, though and a bit awkward.

What you absolutely need to do is have the new spring perches WELDED on at the exact same angle and position as the stock ones. Otherwise, well... Imagine if you kick it sideways and then end up driving around with one-sided negative offset. Or if torque twist rotates your axle inside the perches and binds the drive-shaft.

I'll pm you a detailed breakdown when I get on my pc. How soon are you planning to do this?
It's in paint right now so probably within 2 weeks. So basically make sure and get a nice sttons weld on the flip brackets?

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
It's in paint right now so probably within 2 weeks. So basically make sure and get a nice sttons weld on the flip brackets?
Dunno what that is, but yeah. Get them welded on properly at the same angle as the stock ones and same side to side location.

I'll give you the best write up I can in a bit. Catching up on some reading. Might be a little lacking, since I don't have the truck, anymore, but if you've got mechanical knowledge and instinct, it'll be a cake-walk.

Quick q. Do you have access to a lift? Or, at least 4 jack stands to keep the truck up while you manipulate certain parts with a jack?

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Dunno what that is, but yeah. Get them welded on properly at the same angle as the stock ones and same side to side location.

I'll give you the best write up I can in a bit. Catching up on some reading. Might be a little lacking, since I don't have the truck, anymore, but if you've got mechanical knowledge and instinct, it'll be a cake-walk.

Quick q. Do you have access to a lift? Or, at least 4 jack stands to keep the truck up while you manipulate certain parts with a jack?
I don't have access to a lift however have all the jack and Jack stands I could ever need. How urgent is welding the brackets? Could I install the brackets at my house and drive it to a friend of mine to weld it about 25 minutes away?

Last edited:

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I don't have access to a lift however have all the jack and Jack stands I could ever need. How urgent is welding the brackets? Could I install the brackets at my house and drive it to a friend of mine to weld it about 25 minutes away?
I'd say weld them on first. Make sure they're in the exact same alignment and angle as the stock ones.

Even slightly out of alignment (which can happen from driving with them unwelded) can cause problems down the road. Potentially driveshaft/axle ejecting problems. Demon is Jesus here. He says weld them first? Weld them *******.

Check your PM's tomorrow. I'm typing, now.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just tack weld the perches an you’ll be fine. Take it from someone that has a lowered truck with mods, that’s launched on slicks, drifted, an wheel hopped a bunch of times over the 6yrs since I been lowered

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Just tack weld the perches an you’ll be fine. Take it from someone that has a lowered truck with mods, that’s launched on slicks, drifted, an wheel hopped a bunch of times over the 6yrs since I been lowered
I'd say weld them on first. Make sure they're in the exact same alignment and angle as the stock ones.

Even slightly out of alignment (which can happen from driving with them unwelded) can cause problems down the road. Potentially driveshaft/axle ejecting problems. Demon is Jesus here. He says weld them first? Weld them *******.

Check your PM's tomorrow. I'm typing, now.
Yeah that was going to be my next question how much should I weld it, completely everywhere that is touching for a full connection or can just a few tacks on the weld and axle do the trick