My first truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carlo Santin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello there everyone. New member and first-time truck owner here. As of last night I am the owner of a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn North edition. 5.7 Hemi. Patriot Blue. I pick it up Monday evening. The 2020s are being cleared out here where I live (the great white North, Ontario Canada) and I'm really happy with the deal that I got.

Let me tell you where I'm coming from as a first-time truck owner. Most of my driving life, I'm 52 now, was spent driving whatever beater or second-hand car I could find cheap. I've driven all sorts of small cars and SUVs. You name it. Some great used vehicles and some real **** boxes. Then about 5 years ago I found myself in a position to get a nicer ride and treat myself a little. Nothing outrageous, I'm not wealthy. I splurged on a very lightly used BMW 328i xdrive, pretty much brand new but at a crazy price of about half the sticker, so 36k. I said why not? I'm a huge BMW fan. I knew what I was getting into with the vehicle. I did a ton of research on it. It was a fantastic vehicle for the 5 years I owned it. Lots of great summer rides on twisty country roads. I still love the car and loved every minute of driving it. Best vehicle I ever owned. But yes, the rumours are true...it's not a cheap car to maintain and the BMW maintenance schedule is aggressive. I took good care of her but the time came to move on because I could see the $$$ starting to pile up and it was only going to get worse in the future. It never broke down, never left me stranded, and always put a smile on my face. I don't regret the experience at all.

So I've always wanted a truck. Always loved them. You can love both right? Sporty cars and trucks. Why not? I never owned one though. In early 2020 I started researching the market. I encountered the usual internet talk...Rams suck, Fords suck, Chevys suck, buy a Tundra etc. I spoke to owners. I test drove vehicles. Watched a ton of videos. Hit the forums. I came close to buying an F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. It was a nice truck, XLT Sport with the FX4 package. I decided not to pull the trigger. I originally wanted a new Ranger but two test drives later I was horrified at how poorly that vehicle drove, how cheap the interior was and how small and cramped it was. (always test drive!) I'm a big guy. I wanted a Tacoma at some point but again, two test drives later and I couldn't believe that people actually buy that truck. Extremely uncomfortable. Same experience with the Jeep Wrangler. Terribly uncomfortable for me. But each time I test drove the Ram I liked it more and more. I went to a bunch of dealers, encountered some awful dealerships. Well yesterday I saw a dealer had some 2020s on clearout sale so the wife and I went in...and here I am, an excited owner of a 2020 Ram

My dealer experience was very good and that was a great help in deciding as were the deep discounts on the outgoing 2020s. I also got a nice value on my BMW trade in which really brought the price down for me. The Ram beat the Ford in interior, comfort, ride and driving experience. The Ram is extremely comfortable for me and an absolute pleasure to drive. I can't wait to pick her up on Monday. I plan on keeping her a long time, at least a dozen years. I made sure to get rust protection and undercoating. The roads here in Canada are brutal on cars. I take good care of my vehicles and always do regular maintenance and fluid changes so I'm very optimistic about getting a dozen or more years out of her.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Cheers.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum, congrats on the new truck. There are many members here from your neck of the woods.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome and congrats on the new truck

Hasek

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love my Patriot Blue!
While you'll never match the BMW you can always tune the truck out!

IMG-20200229-163722.jpg

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum and to Ram. Now that you're going to be in a truck you're going to find it hard to get back in a car. Just give the truck a few thousand miles for the tranny to learn. My truck was fast when I first got it but after a few thousand miles it got faster or so it seemed, but I think it did.

Congrats and enjoy it and as always we'll be more than happy to help you spend more money on mods.

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.

OP
OP
Carlo Santin

Carlo Santin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone. I'm picking her up tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait. I won't be comparing my new ride to my BMW and I suspect I won't be going back to a car after this. I plan on keeping my RAM a long time so I hope it works out for me and she's a good one. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Congratulations on your new RAM!!!!! Welcome to the forum.

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the Purchase. I have 4 cars in the driveway/garage and the one I always want to drive is my truck. My buddy owns a couple of MB dealerships so I always have a vehicle from him but my truck is always my 1st choice.

OP
OP
Carlo Santin

Carlo Santin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well here she is! Patriot Blue, Bighorn North Edition which includes the off-road package, heated seats and steering wheel. I absolutely love this beast. She drives so good. I've never owned a truck before so I'm adjusting to the size but it's not hard to drive at all. I haven't tried navigating a crowded parking lot yet though lol. We have some snow on the ground here in Ontario, Canada after our first storm a few days ago. More coming next week. I'm ready.

MyRam.JPG