My Haynes manual is wrong on rack and pinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
My Haynes dodge pick-ups 1500/2500/3500 models 1994 thru 2008 manual chapter 10 page 7 (10-7) shows the rack and pinion mounted to the front of the cross member of the frame but my 2007 dodge ram 1500 2wd 4.7liter quad cab has the rack and pinion or steering gear mounted to the backside of the cross member of the frame. I bought it used so I have no idea what all was done before I bought it. Which is correct? Thank you for any help.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean its mounted to the rear? I don't see how the tie rod ends could attach to the control arm if thats case. Do you have a picture?

Best I can do is the 2004 service manual picture. I don't have any later model years. As far as I know nothing changed in the steering from 02-07. I wouldnt trust that Haynes manual for much if it includes both 2nd gen and 3rd gen. So much changed between the two body styles.

I also like to use the parts diagrams from online stores. Sometimes they are helpful
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/

steer .jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Haynes and Chiltons have been worthless for decades now. This is from the 2008 manual.

p7194.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I will upload a picture hopefully today and yes it's on the backside of the frame cross member and the tie rods bolt up but the steering has been a little squirrelly. I've been replacing parts trying to figure it out when I first got it the alignment was way off and eating up the tires pretty bad so I did my own alignment which helped it was toe in at about 1 1/2" and I set it at toe in at 1/8" and it's not eating tires any more but still isn't right I replaced the tie rod ends, upper ball joints and control arms, lower ball joints, and replaced the rack and pinion. The boots were torn on both sides of rack and pinion when I got the truck and the boots split on both sides again after about 6 weeks so returned it under the part warranty and this time I installed the zip tie on the outer part of the boot behind the little lip deal on the inner tie rod so it would be able to slide back and fourth a little instead of the boot tearing when making turns. This was a couple weeks ago and so far the boots are ok but steering is still questionable. It drifts in the highway and doesn't have hardly any turn radius to speak of. Sorry for the novel and I'm going to move the rack and pinion asap. Thank you for the help