My Head Light Build thread. So Far...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I adjusted my headlights up tonight. Much happier now.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Thinking about a couple of things with my headlight build. When I used the OEM dust cap for the low beam part of the build, where I used a 90 degree D2S AMP extension, I had to remove some of the material from the inside of the cap to clearance it to fit. I know they have the aftermarket rubber caps for dust caps, but it would have looked odd to me.

Just doing a little search I found that certain year Durangos had HID dust caps from what I can see. Might be an option for a more factory look and give a better interior clearance from the D2S connector.

OEM-14-16-Dodge-Durango-Xenon-Headlight-Back-COVER-LID-CAP-BOOT-352045526937-3.jpg

OEM-14-16-Dodge-Durango-Xenon-Headlight-Back-COVER-LID-CAP-BOOT-352045526937-2.jpg

http://factoryxenon.com/shop/oem-14-16-dodge-durango-xenon-headlight-back-cover-lid-cap-boot/

They look like they are the same diameter as the dust caps for the Rams. Will look into this for a future headlight build.

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you guys don't mind I would like to resurrect this old thread
OC455, when you closed up the headlights with morimotto rubber did you protect the profile LED and the projector in any way from the heat of the oven

I know morimotto says 265 degrees for 7 minutes, that seems to me like wires coming out of the High beam led might melt and the LED board might fuse
Any help would be appreciated

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
OC455, when you closed up the headlights with morimotto rubber did you protect the profile LED and the projector in any way from the heat of the oven

I know morimotto says 265 degrees for 7 minutes, that seems to me like wires coming out of the High beam led might melt and the LED board might fuse

What I did and worked great was use a heat gun to heat up the butyl. Just made a lot of passes around the edge of the housing until the butyl became soft.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine

When I re-sealed the headlights with the Morimoto butyl rubber, I laid the bead/rope of butyl into the channel, and then placed the headlight bucket into my oven set at 200 degrees. Only the headlight bucket. I pulled the headlight bucket out and used a small screw driver and smoothed the butyl rubber out so there were no gaps in the butyl rubber in the channel. After a slight cool down, I placed the bezel and lens onto the bucket and gave it a squeeze all the way around to seat everything into the channel.

I put it back into the oven at 200 degrees and after a few minutes pulled it back out and made sure everything was seated well and let it cool down. Any excess butyl rubber was pulled off it over flowed too much. No leaks....

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
The butyl rubber doesn't require as much heat to seat it as does the permaseal….

Sorry, I didn't answer the one question, didn't do anything as far as protecting the wiring or anything of the like.

The heat I set my oven at, has not affected any function of either of the projectors.

Last edited:

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for all your replies. I am thinking the heat gun treatment might be the way to go.