My issues with the 2019 Ram 1500 - respectful concerns.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get rid of it if you can........I agree with others here regarding buying a first year model of anything.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Sell it. Trade it. Get rid of it. And as soon as possible.
And NEVER buy a first year model redesign, especially one that is an early build. No matter the brand.

In January, 2003 I bought a 2003 V8 Toyota 4Runner, built in September 2012. It was the first year that the 4Runner had been redesigned, and was the first v8/5 speed computer controlled automatic. It was awful. But not quite a lemon under Virginia law.

The first signs something was wrong: it smelled of rotten eggs and vibrated when shifting and towing. Then 300 miles from home it died while giving us the first (of several) dashboard Christmas Tree warning light shows.

Over 30,000 miles there were 2 new transmissions and 2 catalytic converters before Toyota figured out that the computer engine control system was bad. But there were irritating other problems and recalls. The electric cargo-rear window got stuck open in a snowstorm at a ski area. The suspension had loud rattles and bump noises. Ultimately the rear suspension was modified by Toyota, but I had to tow the boat to the dealer and show them how much the rear squatted with just a 2,500 lb trailer w/boat attached. The trailer had only 250 lbs of tongue weight. The SUV was rated for 500 lbs tongue / 5,500 lbs trailer. All the repairs were covered by warranty, but the thing repeatedly spent weeks at the dealership (without a loaner, of course). Fortunately I decided to keep our (tow pack equipped) 1994 Jeep Cherokee.

After the last dashboard Christmas tree light show was put out by a Toyota dealer, I drove it straight from Toyota to Dodge and got a sweet 2005 Durango Limited.
and thats a japanese quality built vehicle mmmmm lol

Losing hope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8
I’m losing all hope in my ram. The day I bought it, I’ve had issues. One that continues to linger because they have no clue. It’s the odd noise you get when you’re making a slow turn. Apparently it’s known and they’re ”looking into it”. Still no recall though. End of January I’d hear ticking after starting it. Called dodge and took it in. Ended up being piston and rod issue. 7 weeks later coming home from spring break, we were heading up a slight hill and heard the ticking noise then instantly a metallic crunch and everything went dead. Barely steered it off the highway and everything locked up. Battery was even dead. Couldn’t use my hazards. Back in January I was 200 miles from the end of the warranty. Now I’m over it and they are “looking into it” as if it’s out of warranty till it can be proven it’s the same issue. So if it’s a different rod then I’ll have to pay. My concern is why didn’t they make sure all the rods and pistons were fine before giving it back. I almost feel scammed. What sucks the most is I own this truck but now I’m considering trading it in for anything else. Even if I have to get into payments again.

UPDATE: The engine needs to be replaced. They said the piston rod was completely obliterated and the pieces were everywhere. They found some in the oil pan. Just over 60k miles and I am the type that’s consistent with oil changes and maintenance and this is what happens. I’m furious.

Last edited:

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are minor annoyances. The bigger problems are mechanical problems that cause you to be unable to use your truck. Yes there were more than usual. But being a new design, the first few runs they have to tweak things. Most of these problems are easily remedied and under warranty. Id much rather have stuff like this go wrong right away under warranty, that have a bunch of stuff fail right after warranty.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Losing hope: That sucks. But you go in for a tick ( which does not sound major, as the engines are very ticky tacky )
The dealer tells you you need piston and rod work ( not even usual lifter and cam stuff ) So, we are way outside of common occurrence, So they break open your block and head, replace a connecting rod or more, a piston and obviously rings. And low and behold , you throw a rod and piston catastrophically, and you think its not some shoddy work done by the dealer, who I begin to wonder about telling you ,that you need a rod and piston from a ticky noise.

I have never heard someone could diagnose a bad rod and piston from a ticky noise. ( compression tests maybe ) a lower engine knock, maybe.. But a tick? doesnt sound right.

Anyhow, id doubt id blame ram if a dealer cracks open your engine and does major work for a tick , that later ends in catastrophic failure for the exact work the dealer did. Just my 5 cents. the 3 cents is just inflation.

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 2019 Longhorn.
My first shock with dodge warranty was to have the dash replaced and the dealer said they needed to take photos and send them to mopor for approval go figure that one.
#2 the passager side sun visor fail out on to the seat.
#3 drive to denver from Penacola fl, the nav system never worked up and back. Dealer in denver and pensacola couldnt find anything wrong.
#4 Using cruise control on the trip, when hitting the increase set button from 60 mpr it went to 90 MPR as if I had hit the gas, if there was a car in front of me I would have hit them. Again Denver and Pensacola couldnt find anything. Denvers reply was dont use the c-conrol.
#5 Still on the trip to denver, was drving thouogh a wind turbine farm, the radio started sending out mouse code sounds. Turned radio off still doing it. I thought maybe I was getting RF from the turbine generators. This went on for over 80 miles, 60 miles out of the wind farm. Denver coudnt find anything or Pensacola.
#6 After being back for 2 weeks, backing out of a parking stall the sound like from one of the seners was block, the sound was loud I had to remove my hearing aids. 8 mile drive back home the sound never stop. Got home true truck off estarted sound still there. Drive to dodge in Pensacola they counld believe the sound. Guess what couldnt find anything ether.
#7 Road noise inside cub is very vwery load for a new truck.
#8 And last thing is I have never got better than 16.8 mpg in town or on the road, believe me Im not a hot roder.
What realy kills me is I had a Ford F350 2004 that had over 200000 miles on the truck when I sold it, and only had to do was replay the alt.

The only thing I can do now is hope it dosnt stop in the middle of the road and need to be towed back to a dealer like my son and a friends did. His was a 2021. Im talking completely DEAD. Houston fund bad fuse. My freinds truck sit at dealer for over 3 weeks by the way its still there.
Regarding the SUN VISORS... 2020 RAM 1500 Crew, 11,800mi. 1/20/22 Drivers side visor fell, only held by the electrical wires, blocking vision, during a VERY congested freeway run. Visor used maybe 6 or 7 times since purchase. Dealer replaced 2/7/22, said it was odd, but was aware. 4/5/22 13,200mi Passenger side fell off while flipping down, seldom any passengers so maybe used 2 or 3 times. Dealer ordered new visor. Seems to be an ongoing design / manufacturing issue that could result in a VERY SERIOUS accident!! I wonder just how many similar events have occurred or if this is recorded by RAM or any safety authority that may or should result in a safety recall?? I can say that when the drivers side fell, blocking my vision, it was a difficult situation trying to hold and reinstall the visor (tried 'ripping' it off but elect. cable held firm) while avoiding a lot of traffic, and if it had been my wife driving...Not sure what the outcome would've been?! Others may want to check or monitor any looseness including side to side 'free-swinging' as that was noticed prior to the passenger side falling out of the ceiling socket.

Attachments

• RAM Passenger Side Visor 4-5-22.jpg
    RAM Passenger Side Visor 4-5-22.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 8

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I know several other people with 2019+ trucks that have been issue free

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 (Classic) has been rock solid

Being that the classic is a 4th gen that has been in production since the model year 2009, they generally seem to have the issues resolved on those trucks many years over. The 2019 5th generation came out for the model year 2019, but very early in spring 2018. So combine a brand new redesign/generation with also rushing them to be released earlier than most new vehicles that come out towards the end of summer, and we had a fair amount of people with 2019+ 5th gen rams with some issues that popped up.

Just like with the 2022 5th gens people have, if they do have an issue a fair amount of them tend to be in relation to the uconnect 5 as it is in its first year being put in vehicles. Much like the 4th gen I'm sure with each passing year of this generation the overall reoccurring and frequently seen issues will decrease gradually.

The three 4th gens I had were solid enough for me, I'll be happy if my 21 lasts the same amount of time without having issues.

Bourgeois

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just my luck, warranty ran out 2 months ago. Driver side mirror is wobbly and clicks when i close or open it, which has only been done twice(only when pulling into a stall at Sonic)

crshinn74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just my luck, warranty ran out 2 months ago. Driver side mirror is wobbly and clicks when i close or open it, which has only been done twice(only when pulling into a stall at Sonic)
Did you get it replaced or find a work-around? My dealer wants $340 to fix it.

mmorganett1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 in 2020. There was 1 previous owner before me. I’ve had almost all the same problems as your dad like the starter going out in 2021 which I thought was weird for such a new truck. Also I’ve had issues with my tailgate day one of owing it. It does the exact same thing as yours.
Last week I took my truck for an oil change and routine maintenance inspection and they told me I had a missing bolt on my exhaust that randomly fell off.
My overhead light also had to be replaced like yours day 2 of owning it. We didn't realize the day we bought it at the dealership something was wrong with it until the next day so we had to take it back the following week and have the entire overhead light replaced.
I’ve already had to replace both folding mirrors at separate times with the drivers side mirror going out first in the first year of owning it in 2020.
The mirrors would get stuck folding in and finally stopped folding in all together. The passenger side mirror went out the same way the following summer 1 year later.
I want to add before they were replaced I rarely folded them in so I was annoyed they both already had to be replaced.
I haven’t had any trouble with the parking sensors yet but now it seems like when I’m going down hills it feels almost like it’s getting stuck in gear and I have to accelerate to get it into gear which makes me extremely nervous. I’ve had the truck inspected twice and the transmission fluid checked to be sure and they can’t find anything YET.
I bought the truck with it only being a year old when I bought it and have had more problems than I thought I should’ve for being such a new truck. I’m crazy about my routine maintenance and making sure everything is serviced on time when it’s due but as much as I love my truck I’m not sure the 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn/ LoneStar was the best year to buy one.
I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that we have the exact same year truck and have had almost identical issues.

mmorganett1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also forgot to add the gas issue that I’ve also had like yours thats happened a few times that I haven’t had serviced yet either because it doesn’t happen every time.
I will be pumping gas and even though I’m very low on gas it stops it like it’s full and has even pushed the gas back up and out like I was overfilling it even though I had only added a gallon or 2 and the tank was almost empty.
I’ve never in my life out of all the vehicles trucks and cars have had that happen to me when adding gas to an empty tank.