My Jay Greene Cam job is.. uggh, done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So , my truck is finally “finished”… The main reason for the post is out of pure frustration, at not only Jay Greene, but the customer service industry as a whole.

I’m going to preface all of this with , I’m not a mechanic. Never claimed to be, never want to be, and I’m doing less and less mechanic work as I get older and wiser. But, it scares me to death to have anyone work on my vehicles. I learned at a very early age, you’ll care about your own car more than anyone… So, if you know how to do a cam job, absolutely 1000%, do it yourself.

I had a lifter go out several months ago. I knew I’d be dealing with the situation eventually, and sure enough, at 72k miles, bam.

I had read enough in the past about Greene Racing, to know, he is “the best”. Hands down. The moment I knew I needed a new cam, it wasn’t even a thought. I contacted him, and right off the bat, the guy just sounded very …. “Leave me alone, I’m busy”.. After everything I had read , I figured he was getting bombarded with a plethora of emails/messages non-stop. After a few “back-and-forths”, I decided to reward knowledge, and give the dude $100 for taking the time to answer questions I may have had and for sure, will have, in the future. Not even a thank you. Oh well. I ordered the full kit.

After a month, and several separate packages of parts arriving sporadically later, I piled everything up, and took them to my local mechanic. (and that took me two weeks to decide who to actually use, because again, I have trust issues)…

I was having a ton of stuff done…

6.4 intake manifold
ARH Headers and full catback exhaust (that’s a whole different review)
Jay Greene 2.5hl thump cam v2
“Hellcat” lifters
CAI
new oil pump
New timing chain

And probably a bigger list than I can even remember. So 3 1/2 months in, and a lot of minor details, I call the shop, and they tell me they broke the pin on the cam. It was almost finished. I had tuned it already with Jay’s tune. We were there.. And , nope…

They told me they would pay for everything to fix it. Cool… I contacted Jay, again, and asked how long for a new Cam.. told him what happened, and he instantly told me my motor was trashed. And my shop was trying to screw me over. Ugghhhh … What do I do now? I called my shop back, relayed that info, and they said they checked over everything. Compression, etc etc. everything was fine, just need a new cam. Ok.. Back to Greene.. Jay tells me to contact Comp Cams. They should fix it quick, but won’t matter, because again, my motor is trashed. He’s seen this over and over again lately from shops not taking their time installing his cam. ‍♂️

I’m in the middle. I don’t care at this point. I’m $20k in including labor, and I’m going to rip my hair out. I want my truck.

A week later, with comp cams not responding whatsoever , my mechanic decided to send the cam to their machine shop. They fixed it. Re-installed everything, and another week later… Finally..tell me it’s finished.

I go to pick it up, and the check engine light is on, throwing 2 burning rich codes. They swear it’s a tuning issue. I message Jay. Nothing. I send an email, containing idle logs… Nothing. Several days later, I send another email, nothing… Like, because my “motor is trashed”, Jay bails on me..

A week after I got my truck back, I take it to a local guy who dynos and tunes. 24 hours later, (and $1k), and the truck is running awesome. This thing is a beast..

I feel like I’m the only one who has had a bad run in with Greene, and that’s ok. Maybe I was too nice. People clearly aren’t use to that these days. I could go on and on about customer service lately. It’s just non existent anymore. But the way people are these days, I can’t fault them I guess..

I’m in no way trying to sway people who to go with. I have no ties with anyone. I’m just a dude, who likes cool stuff, and don’t mind paying for it. But I should also get what I pay for. $650 worthless tune, and a $1250 Diablo and pcm down the drain. If you’re going to do a cam job, headers, etc etc, take it local. That’s my suggestion…

Attachments

• 1E88C577-DDB8-4B85-875C-BE53ABFF0812.jpeg
    1E88C577-DDB8-4B85-875C-BE53ABFF0812.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What a saga...glad you got your truck back and happy with the final result. I'd really hate to go through that sort of stuff. Thanks for sharing and the truck looks good!
I truly hate bagging on anyone. It pains me. Reviews are everything to me. I read them thoroughly before purchasing anything.

And thank you! I love my truck. I’m detailing it all day tomorrow, including ceramic coat. Hopefully I can get some much better photos..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have family members with tons of MOPARs and they won't ever deal with Jay Greene because of his attitude .... there are quite a few videos of people leaving or dumping Jay Greene's tunes because he just doesn't respond back ... his answers are always "well it works for everyone else so it should work for you" and then he doesn't help out once you buy his tunes ...

Really sucks man that you went through this, now I know who not to go with when I decide to tune my Ram ...

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have family members with tons of MOPARs and they won't ever deal with Jay Greene because of his attitude .... there are quite a few videos of people leaving or dumping Jay Greene's tunes because he just doesn't respond back ... his answers are always "well it works for everyone else so it should work for you" and then he doesn't help out once you buy his tunes ...

Really sucks man that you went through this, now I know who not to go with when I decide to tune my Ram ...
Last thing I want to do is take business from anyone legit, but I feel I was left out to dry. I spent a lot of money , and just wanted to share my personal experience. I would never again go with anyone online for a job this big.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Last thing I want to do is take business from anyone legit, but I feel I was left out to dry. I spent a lot of money , and just wanted to share my personal experience. I would never again go with anyone online for a job this big.
A lot of business end up doing this for many reasons and the most common one I have seen is them becoming to "big headed" because of the success they have ... I have heard that Jay Greene is actually burnt out doing tunes and just doesn't care to do them anymore which is understandable, but being an business owner myself, if I am overwhelmed for what ever reason then it's time to either stop completely or or say hey I am going to take a break and I will keep you guys updated and not just take people's money and basically shaft them ...

You had a bad experience and you have every right to speak out about it and everyone else has the choice to do business with him/them or not .... you are doing nothing wrong, on the contrary you are doing the right thing ...

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of business end up doing this for many reasons and the most common one I have seen is them becoming to "big headed" because of the success they have ... I have heard that Jay Greene is actually burnt out doing tunes and just doesn't care to do them anymore which is understandable, but being an business owner myself, if I am overwhelmed for what ever reason then it's time to either stop completely or or say hey I am going to take a break and I will keep you guys updated and not just take people's money and basically shaft them ...

You had a bad experience and you have every right to speak out about it and everyone else has the choice to do business with him/them or not .... you are doing nothing wrong, on the contrary you are doing the right thing ...
Thank you for the encouragement. It just sounded like the kid had a lot going for him. It sucks having to share such a negative experience. I was so stoked to run a Jay Greene cam in my truck. Now, I’m looking or replace it asap.. We shall see what the future holds.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sucks man. Glad your truck is finally running great though!! I love your wheels by the way. What are they?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WOW that really sucks, glad it worked out for you in the end tho. I have a local guy that tunes my truck now that I'm really happy with. Plus he does cam swaps and tunes for them. I agree, these days its best to go local if you can.

You're not alone with your dealings with him. A few years ago I switched from HF to him because "he is the best" and was disappointed. My truck is noticeably slower on his tunes. The 1-2 shift was never right and his response was "well your truck is 2013 and nothing can be done.". Funny, my HF tune the 1-2 shift was fine. Also, HF asked for several logs and sent several revisions. He never asked for one, even after I asked if he wanted a log. Unfortunately both of them are way too busy these days to really give the customer service they used to.

Not trying to bash anyone, just giving an honest experience.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Damn, you have 1000 x the patience that I do.

Sounds like one twisted journey. and I'm glad you got it sorted out. Word does get around quickly especially the negative.

It seems you found some good local people though, that will benefit from a good customer experience.

I hope I never have to go through something like this.

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, you have 1000 x the patience that I do.

Sounds like one twisted journey. and I'm glad you got it sorted out. Word does get around quickly especially the negative.

It seems you found some good local people though, that will benefit from a good customer experience.

I hope I never have to go through something like this.
Thank you.. Let’s hope I did. I’ve only got a couple of miles on this new tune. We shall see.. And yes, I’m all about giving people a fair shake. But there comes a point where even I snap..

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, sorry to hear about all of your issues - this is scaring the hell out of me as I gave Jay money for cam/lifter/pushrods 5 weeks ago, didnt so much as email him the entire lead time as he was upfront about being busy, etc. Havent heard anything from him so I hit him up last week to get an update and crickets......Ive sent two follow up emails pleading for just a simple update and still nothing. not sure what to do - anybody happen to have his phone number? Still hopeful this will play out ok, but getting harder and harder to keep that faith - especially after reading this.

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, sorry to hear about all of your issues - this is scaring the hell out of me as I gave Jay money for cam/lifter/pushrods 5 weeks ago, didnt so much as email him the entire lead time as he was upfront about being busy, etc. Havent heard anything from him so I hit him up last week to get an update and crickets......Ive sent two follow up emails pleading for just a simple update and still nothing. not sure what to do - anybody happen to have his phone number? Still hopeful this will play out ok, but getting harder and harder to keep that faith - especially after reading this.
You definitely don’t want to read the comments on the two Facebook groups I’m in where I posted this also then. I’m so sorry man.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you.. Let’s hope I did. I’ve only got a couple of miles on this new tune. We shall see.. And yes, I’m all about giving people a fair shake. But there comes a point where even I snap..
The Moral of the Story is: Find someone who is good local and stay there, LOL. I used to do most of my work, but getting a lil older, things hurt, and I just do not have the tools necessary now to work on there computer controlled gizmos on rolling tires, LOL. But OP, glad in the end You had a Good Outcome. Nice looking ride.

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Moral of the Story is: Find someone who is good local and stay there, LOL. I used to do most of my work, but getting a lil older, things hurt, and I just do not have the tools necessary now to work on there computer controlled gizmos on rolling tires, LOL. But OP, glad in the end You had a Good Outcome. Nice looking ride.
☝ This x10

And thank you! I love my truck. I debated on trading it in, as that’s what I normally do when the warranty expires, but I took a chance and decided to keep it. I lost.. Oh well, I’m invested now.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
☝ This x10

And thank you! I love my truck. I debated on trading it in, as that’s what I normally do when the warranty expires, but I took a chance and decided to keep it. I lost.. Oh well, I’m invested now.
You R definitely invested now, U I think said U had 20K into it, OMG, lol. Well, nice to have a few spare coins. I's just a poor BOIRD, stock truck basically, except for some cosmetic and a AFE air cleaner. But then, ride is a driveway princess, and only 20K on 4 yoa ride. I did buy a extended Maxcare 1 day before ride was 3 years owned by yours truly, so hopefully I be OK for 5 more. Not wanna get rid of the ole 5.7L, since they be going away. Figure I run the ride till I am gone, or the rims fall off, then Get Gorilla glue and glue them back on.

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You definitely don’t want to read the comments on the two Facebook groups I’m in where I posted this also then. I’m so sorry man.
dang - Im at a loss - this guy has been praised for his work all over the internet for some time now, and I was actually referred to him by another very reputable company, so thought I was in good hands.

what are the facebook group links? sounds like theres more people in my current situation? Outlay of money with nothing to show?? wondering if I need to bite the bullet and claim this with Paypal...Has Jay replied on the FB group chats yet? He seems to like to operate on facebook, me not so much.

Like you, I bend over backwards to give people benefit of the doubt, but something is strange here to be mild.

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dang - Im at a loss - this guy has been praised for his work all over the internet for some time now, and I was actually referred to him by another very reputable company, so thought I was in good hands.

what are the facebook group links? sounds like theres more people in my current situation? Outlay of money with nothing to show?? wondering if I need to bite the bullet and claim this with Paypal...Has Jay replied on the FB group chats yet? He seems to like to operate on facebook, me not so much.

Like you, I bend over backwards to give people benefit of the doubt, but something is strange here to be mild.
He actually emailed me after I left a bad review on his actual Facebook page. Blamed Covid. ‍♂️ That doesn’t negate the entire last 4 months.. Here are the groups, as I hope I’m allowed to do this. It may go against the forum rules. I’m truly sorry if so.

Attachments

• 849A5550-BD28-4473-8818-AE71623F4830.png
    849A5550-BD28-4473-8818-AE71623F4830.png
    360.6 KB · Views: 65
  • D580252E-1FEF-429C-BD77-AC7985D544BC.png
    D580252E-1FEF-429C-BD77-AC7985D544BC.png
    360.8 KB · Views: 64
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

I would make a claim with paypal and look somewhere else man ... very unprofessional to not at least get back to you after 3 attempts to get an update .... that right there is just BS ... hes enjoying that upfront money while he is making people wait ...

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"a $1250 Diablo and pcm down the drain"

Why this? You needed an unlocked PCM either way or are the Diablo unlocked PCM's on usable with Diablos now?