My new ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronald Nadeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2016 Ram 2500 5.7 hemi and had a few questions. The truck was a lease vehicle and has 124000 miles on it. It is a crew cab tradesmen version. It looks and drives like new. I just changed the oil and filter and added some upgrades like wheels and tires and running boards. My concern is the maintenance that’s been done or supposed to have been done. Should I start at the 125 k maintenance schedule and assume that the other ones have been done or go back to some of the major points and redo them? I’ve also read about some things live removing the plugs and never seize them too. I’m just looking at things I should be doing or things that should have been done. Thanks for any help and tips as this is my first Ram 4x4

Ron

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
If it was a lease vehicle, then there should be service records from the dealer who leased it. We lease my wife's car, it came with free oil changes for at least a year (maybe more, can't remember now), so we take it to the dealership for those things when it is due.

With that said, I always err on the side of caution, as I don't know what type of life my truck had before I got to it. Bought my truck with 60,000 miles on it, changed the oil, diff fluids, and transfer case fluids within a month. Planning on changing the transmission fluid soon, but still trying to make some decisions on whether or not I'll be upgrading anything while I'm in there.

At 125k, I believe you are at the maintenance interval for a lot of things anyway, so might not have to go back, as it is time to do them again. I have a 2500 diesel, and items like the diff fluid, transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, oil, all hit at 60,000 and again at 120,000.

I've never put anti-seize on the plugs, but I have heard of it done. Might be worth pulling a couple, check the condition, and then put anti-seize on when putting them back in.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Used Car Rule Of Thumb
Place on hoist or jack stands and clean EVERYTHING
Change All Fluids and Filters
Inspect Plugs, Wires, Brakes, Shocks, Rotors, Drums , etc
Replace, as needed.

Do NOT go chasing things to replace.
They will find you, never worry.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Congrats on the new ride. When ever I bought a used vehicle, I change all fluids, plugs and serpentine belt. I inspect the hoses. I believe there is a grease fitting on there somewhere. Others will have to tell you where.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Congrats on the new ride. When ever I bought a used vehicle, I change all fluids, plugs and serpentine belt. I inspect the hoses. I believe there is a grease fitting on there somewhere. Others will have to tell you where.
If there is I would like to know. I checked my '17 and I didn't see any in the steering or front end suspension but I never checked the u-joints

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If there is I would like to know. I checked my '17 and I didn't see any in the steering or front end suspension but I never checked the u-joints

For some reason I thought he had a 2500. You are correct, nothing on the 1500.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yep as other have said. Fluids, fluids, fluids. When I got my 2014 2500 with the 5.7 I did oil, front and rear diff and transmission service pretty quick. I’ve had no issues with mine other than normal known quirks lol. She’s unstoppable

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
didn't read through the whole thread but if the dealer did all the services carfax should show it also

OP
OP
Ronald Nadeau

Ronald Nadeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck was bought from a mom and pop car lot and there is no records available for it

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats, and good luck with your Ram.

Holy cow -- 125k on a Lease?! I'd hate to see their lease payment. It must have been a company vehicle.

Octane

Reaction score
When I buy I check condition of fluids, change only if needed and inspect everything else closely.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As said service everything, diffs, trans, transfer case, drain flush cooling system, belt if needed, all filters, yes change the plugs and yes put some high temp antisieze on the threads before you go back together.

Congrats and good luck with it!

OP
OP
Ronald Nadeau

Ronald Nadeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I changed the transmission fluid and the filters. It smelled and looked good. No metal on the magnet. Put back 9 quarts. Installed a cabin filter because there was none and changed the air filter. I tried to lube the uv joint with the needle I bought but I think it’s too big. Is it like a regular needle that you insert? Just made a mess.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
3 year lease 124k Ouch to traded that in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk