Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by hunterdan, Mar 25, 2021.
Yeah easy oven gets it all off ....
Re-sealed my lights this morning using the right stuff gasket maker. Had a bunch of water in them, so took a hair dryer and let it sit on each one blowing air into the lenses with the bulbs out. After about 10 minutes per housing, they were nice and dry. Applied a good bead all the way around each housing, and spread the sealer into the creases as best as I can. I also had to adjust my passenger side projector slightly since it was canted. Looks like it's damn close now. After speaking, I let everything dry for a few hours before handling again. Popped them back in this afternoon and added some dielectric grease to all the connectors. Below is my current cutoff. The passenger side looks like it could stand to be rotated ever so slightly, but its so close now. Closer than the alpharex housings I had were. I think I need to aim them up a little yet, but they are looking good.
I ended up ordering new ballasts, hylux 45w from the same place I ordered all my other components. Just as before, stuff arrived in 2 days, by 9:30am. Amazing customer support. I ordered new ballasts because I had one side that would fail to start up some times. If I turned the lights off for a few seconds, then back on, it would start up. The ballast plug (9006 male) had some corrosion from water intrusion, so chalking it up to that. New ballasts have dielectric grease to try to prevent any further issues. One problem I ran into that I was not expecting, the 9006 connector to the ballast was not long enough to reach where I had planned on mounting them. So, I had to splice in about 6" of wire to reach where the ballasts were being mounted.
As for my water intrusion into the headlights, seems to be a thing of the past as they are still bone dry, even after some decent rain.
Separate names with a comma.