My quad projector retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I ordered all my stuff from www.thelightingguru.net
The guy commented on a post on Facebook and he literally walked me through every step and helped me choose the parts that would work best/easiest. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. If you go this route, I can send you the parts list that I used.
Word of advice, if you're painting chrome housings do the oven cleaner method on the chrome to strip the chrome off. I skipped this step but wish I hadn't.

Yeah easy oven gets it all off ....

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Re-sealed my lights this morning using the right stuff gasket maker. Had a bunch of water in them, so took a hair dryer and let it sit on each one blowing air into the lenses with the bulbs out. After about 10 minutes per housing, they were nice and dry. Applied a good bead all the way around each housing, and spread the sealer into the creases as best as I can. I also had to adjust my passenger side projector slightly since it was canted. Looks like it's damn close now. After speaking, I let everything dry for a few hours before handling again. Popped them back in this afternoon and added some dielectric grease to all the connectors. Below is my current cutoff. The passenger side looks like it could stand to be rotated ever so slightly, but its so close now. Closer than the alpharex housings I had were. I think I need to aim them up a little yet, but they are looking good. 20210407_224707.jpg 20210407_100914.jpg

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ended up ordering new ballasts, hylux 45w from the same place I ordered all my other components. Just as before, stuff arrived in 2 days, by 9:30am. Amazing customer support. I ordered new ballasts because I had one side that would fail to start up some times. If I turned the lights off for a few seconds, then back on, it would start up. The ballast plug (9006 male) had some corrosion from water intrusion, so chalking it up to that. New ballasts have dielectric grease to try to prevent any further issues. One problem I ran into that I was not expecting, the 9006 connector to the ballast was not long enough to reach where I had planned on mounting them. So, I had to splice in about 6" of wire to reach where the ballasts were being mounted.
As for my water intrusion into the headlights, seems to be a thing of the past as they are still bone dry, even after some decent rain.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, that was a lot of work too! Looks good.
I'm a di-it-yourselfer too, but I just decided to order some ready to go Anzo's.
Went to the Retro shop first, but he seriously needs to get that site set-up better being user friendly.
All I could do is order a kit to do it myself and once you started adding anything to the list it got astronomical really quick.
He didn't have anything already made for my year truck so I said **** it, too much trouble.
His are supposed to be the best, but someone's always got something better.
I read reviews on the Anzo's all over the map, so that didn't really tell me Jack, some loved em, some hated em.
The Spec-d's in it now get real ******, horrible reviews, but they work great and illuminate great, they're just yellowed and I want a black housing, something a little different now.
We'll see?

Last edited:

Arad420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you get your switchbacks to work with no hyperflash errors? I've tried 2 different brands, with and without resistors, and still get errors.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How did you get your switchbacks to work with no hyperflash errors? I've tried 2 different brands, with and without resistors, and still get errors.
I used alfaobd to ensure the drl option was enabled, then on another setting, I set the drl location to turn signals.
I was having issues with the errors as well, but once I changed the setting to turns, the issue went away.
A member of the forum runs this YouTube page and he made this video and its extremely helpful, thanks @big daddys house

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's the LED and Halogen Anzo's and the LED driving lights I installed last weekend, perfect fit. No way did I wanna even attempt what you did, yours turned out good though.
I can already see I'll be swapping out the halogens with LED's though.

IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_1529.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I make this last year.2faf0d57dd13d223fd3829662273e194.jpg

Are those extremely small amber led strips on the clear reflector? I am very interested in what is going on over there as I’ve never seen that before but I’ve thought of doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
View attachment 242634 View attachment 242635 Update:
Lights are on. I need to make some tweaks but I need to order a socket to loosen the nut on the projector and rotate slightly. The cutoff lines aren't even, but should be easily fixed without taking everything apart. I also need to get resistors for the switchbacks, or figure out what other settings I can tweak in alfaobd.

For future reference, during the build tighten the projector bolt and have the projector mounted where you want it. Then go install the housing into your truck and test it’s alignment before resealing the front lens. This will allow you to get perfect alignment.

Even better, before you take the lights apart, literally step 1 of the entire process, turn the lights on on your test bench and aim them against the wall. Mark the wall with tape along the beam pattern so you can match the projector to it once you install the projectors.

But the build looks really nice. Congrats and good job.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow, that was a lot of work too! Looks good.
I'm a di-it-yourselfer too, but I just decided to order some ready to go Anzo's.
Went to the Retro shop first, but he seriously needs to get that site set-up better being user friendly.
All I could do is order a kit to do it myself and once you started adding anything to the list it got astronomical really quick.
He didn't have anything already made for my year truck so I said **** it, too much trouble.
His are supposed to be the best, but someone's always got something better.
I read reviews on the Anzo's all over the map, so that didn't really tell me Jack, some loved em, some hated em.
The Spec-d's in it now get real ******, horrible reviews, but they work great and illuminate great, they're just yellowed and I want a black housing, something a little different now.
We'll see?

Just to let you know, the Anzo’s are complete trash. Same quality and junk as the Spec-D, Recon, Spyder, all of them are the lowest quality parts and the projectors in them are some of the worst on the market.

Only decent aftermarket brand is AlphaRex.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to let you know, the Anzo’s are complete trash. Same quality and junk as the Spec-D, Recon, Spyder, all of them are the lowest quality parts and the projectors in them are some of the worst on the market.

Only decent aftermarket brand is AlphaRex.

Is that what you've been told or is that your personal experience? Maybe you didn't install them correctly? Maybe you got some defective returns?
I installed mine and absolutely love them! Great illumination, perfect fit, excellent quality, couldn't be happier.
As far as the Spec-D's, mine came with them and I never had a single issue at all with them either, just got tired of the chrome liners?
But, I do my own R&D on my own, I don't put a lot of faith in things I read on-line.

Last edited:

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are those extremely small amber led strips on the clear reflector? I am very interested in what is going on over there as I’ve never seen that before but I’ve thought of doing that.

Sorry for the delay. Yes, strips, orange 2835 1200 Leds by roll of 5 meters. Really bright. I bought it in aliexpress.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is that what you've been told or is that your personal experience? Maybe you didn't install them correctly? Maybe you got some defective returns?
I installed mine and absolutely love them! Great illumination, perfect fit, excellent quality, couldn't be happier.
As far as the Spec-D's, mine came with them and I never had a single issue at all with them either, just got tired of the chrome liners?
But, I do my own R&D on my own, I don't put a lot of faith in things I read on-line.

Lol... I’ve built hundreds of sets of headlights, I’ve tested almost every aftermarket option for the 4th Gen Rams, I’ve built retrofits for members on here... so yes, I do know what I am talking about and you THINK the Anzo’s have “great illumination” and are “excellent quality” because you are coming from Spec-D lights. When in reality your Anzo lights are putting out less light then the OEM housings, but your response will be “it’s brighter”, no it’s not. It’s been tested over and over, those cheap H7 projectors used in all of the aftermarket projectors will scatter the light up into the trees, off onto the side of the road and down in front of your bumper. You may think it looks brighter, but if you tested it with a Lux meter (if you even know what that is) you would see how bad it really is.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry for the delay. Yes, strips, orange 2835 1200 Leds by roll of 5 meters. Really bright. I bought it in aliexpress.

Thats really cool. Can you post some pictures of the corner marker with the front lens off with the led strips turned off, turned on, and then the same pics but with the outer front lens on?

Ive built a ton of lights and ive always looked at the grooves in the corner markers of the quads and thought how cool it would look with small tiny led strips that grew in size along with the indents in the reflector. So i would love to see more detailed pics from someone who did it.

Props to going outside the box and doing something nobody else is doing. Thats the type of stuff that sets retrofits apart from the rest which all look the same.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats really cool. Can you post some pictures of the corner marker with the front lens off with the led strips turned off, turned on, and then the same pics but with the outer front lens on?

Ive built a ton of lights and ive always looked at the grooves in the corner markers of the quads and thought how cool it would look with small tiny led strips that grew in size along with the indents in the reflector. So i would love to see more detailed pics from someone who did it.

Props to going outside the box and doing something nobody else is doing. Thats the type of stuff that sets retrofits apart from the rest which all look the same.
Let me see what I have. I make this headlamps while back.63cf9efb5cd29d277d6dbd46bc928360.jpg94f85e5b5881f05880870b98b0b2d0e1.jpga0e2147a5f05cfa0aaf03b9b47e10d5f.jpg

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I upload some videos.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I upload some videos.

Wow i love that you did stuff nobody else is doing. One thing that would have been really cool is if you used a 3-step sequential box and the turn signals start with the top strip and went down 1-2-3 for each turn signal blink. You can buy generic 3-step sequential boxes off amazon for like $10-$15. But even without that, they look awesome. I also like the RGB strip you ran down the side. Ive done a ton of builds and i've done a ton of custom one-off stuff but i haven't gotten around to doing what you did to the corner markers, maybe ill have to come up with something different now since its already been done

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow i love that you did stuff nobody else is doing. One thing that would have been really cool is if you used a 3-step sequential box and the turn signals start with the top strip and went down 1-2-3 for each turn signal blink. You can buy generic 3-step sequential boxes off amazon for like $10-$15. But even without that, they look awesome. I also like the RGB strip you ran down the side. Ive done a ton of builds and i've done a ton of custom one-off stuff but i haven't gotten around to doing what you did to the corner markers, maybe ill have to come up with something different now since its already been done
Thanks...

I always try to do something different. I dont use the sequencer for the strips because I want that the lights do parking light also. This strips are really nice and bright. This is what I do for another headlamps. I make the shape of the corner reflector with diffuse plexiglass, like 4 layers to makes diffuse the lighting right. White and amber behind with a switch back circuit and RGBW on the edge. Them I covered with a metal black mesh.74952af08ff36771e189b3abcdecc1a7.jpg9bff6896fb88ba6afc4fe56f7f033008.jpg3218ed1c881ca64289db2b194105234b.jpg

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is a little be difficult to get a good video. It look fantastic.

And I use a RGBW Led controller called Pixelblaze. Amazing effects...

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks...

I always try to do something different. I dont use the sequencer for the strips because I want that the lights do parking light also. This strips are really nice and bright. This is what I do for another headlamps. I make the shape of the corner reflector with diffuse plexiglass, like 4 layers to makes diffuse the lighting right. White and amber behind with a switch back circuit and RGBW on the edge. Them I covered with a metal black mesh.74952af08ff36771e189b3abcdecc1a7.jpg9bff6896fb88ba6afc4fe56f7f033008.jpg3218ed1c881ca64289db2b194105234b.jpg

Oh wow you're out here doing some hardcore custom fab... i dig it, i can relate. Keep up the cool stuff, i love coming across unique retrofits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio