My quad projector retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is a little be difficult to get a good video. It look fantastic.

And I use a RGBW Led controller called Pixelblaze. Amazing effects...

Wow dude that is really impressive looking. You should be selling them as kits, you could easily sell them for $175-$200 a set or more.

Cdrakely

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your builds are awesome! Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yours look great, however not everybody can pull that off and make them look good.
I think I'd just throw some Anzo's in, update the factory bulbs to GTR LED's and call it a day.
That's my plan, at least. The quality of these Anzo's are extremely well built and a lot easier in the long run for the same results.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just to let you know, the Anzo’s are complete trash. Same quality and junk as the Spec-D, Recon, Spyder, all of them are the lowest quality parts and the projectors in them are some of the worst on the market.

Only decent aftermarket brand is AlphaRex.

Is that what you've been told or is that your personal experience? Maybe you didn't install them correctly? Maybe you got some defective returns?
I installed mine and absolutely love them! Great illumination, perfect fit, excellent quality, couldn't be happier.
As far as the Spec-D's, mine came with them and I never had a single issue at all with them either, just got tired of the chrome liners?
But, I do my own R&D on my own, I don't put a lot of faith in things I read on-line.

Lol... I’ve built hundreds of sets of headlights, I’ve tested almost every aftermarket option for the 4th Gen Rams, I’ve built retrofits for members on here... so yes, I do know what I am talking about and you THINK the Anzo’s have “great illumination” and are “excellent quality” because you are coming from Spec-D lights. When in reality your Anzo lights are putting out less light then the OEM housings, but your response will be “it’s brighter”, no it’s not. It’s been tested over and over, those cheap H7 projectors used in all of the aftermarket projectors will scatter the light up into the trees, off onto the side of the road and down in front of your bumper. You may think it looks brighter, but if you tested it with a Lux meter (if you even know what that is) you would see how bad it really is.

You're a young man, maybe you'll figure this out eventually? For your wife and kids sake, I pray you do.
You should really consider the "Grace" of teaching instead of the "Arrogance" of having to be correct all the time as your personality and other posts suggest?
I might have listened to your advice had it come from the heart of a teacher as opposed from that of a person with supercilious disposition (arrogant attitude).
Good luck with that.

Yours look great, however not everybody can pull that off and make them look good.
I think I'd just throw some Anzo's in, update the factory bulbs to GTR LED's and call it a day.
That's my plan, at least. The quality of these Anzo's are extremely well built and a lot easier in the long run for the same results.

And no, Anzo’s compared to a true retrofit are not “the same thing”. Just the fact that you think buying a pair of Anzo lights and throwing a set of led bulbs into them is “easier and the same thing” as a set of custom built projector headlights just proves you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my case I chose that I think are the best looking, I take chrome out, change both projectors for 2 sets of bi leds and change and custom all the DRL and turn signal Leds. At the end of the day I just use the case of the headlamps. All internals are a lot better that come with the lights.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In my case I chose that I think are the best looking, I take chrome out, change both projectors for 2 sets of bi leds and change and custom all the DRL and turn signal Leds. At the end of the day I just use the case of the headlamps. All internals are a lot better that come with the lights.

This dude thinks his Anzo’s with led bulbs are the same thing as your proper retrofit with bi-led projectors. There’s no talking with someone who thinks like that.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This dude thinks his Anzo’s with led bulbs are the same thing as your proper retrofit with bi-led projectors. There’s no talking with someone who thinks like that.

I do that time ago. I thought that was the right thing... And then start doing it the right way... I am thinking to build another set with some better bileds projectors. [emoji16]

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just wanted to apologize to fellow forum member OnSale for the "unfriendly" banter/bashing we engaged in the other day. Totally inexcusable.
Personally, I shouldn't have made the derogatory comments I made and apologize for that, I hope you will accept OnSale?
As most of you that know me from the forum, that's simply not my style because I usually try to be encouraging and uplifting to anybody's builds, I got caught up in the heat of the moment and again I'm sorry for that.
This is a great forum with very relaxed rules of decorum and I would hate to say anything to jeopardize being a member here, it's simply beneath any of us.
I've been a member here for many years and truly value the information and feedback I receive here.
OnSale, I hope to share ideas and "good" (lol) comments with you in the future.
Sincerely,
Tray

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, an update. I went back to retrofits after running some alpharex oem projector knock-offs (which worked decent) but just weren't as good as my retrofits. But after a few months I was still getting moisture in them, even though they were sealed with silicone and had desiccant packets in them. So, I decided to redo the whole setup. Stripped the paint off the surrounds, down to bare plastic, pulled the projectors out and decided to paint the low beam reflector bowl. I'm going with a black hammered finish paint that's more of a dark gray. I also ordered a new set of plastic lenses since mine are pretty beat and the cost vs trying to polish and remove all the old glue isn't worth it. Still debating on adding some demon eyes to the setup. Basically, I'm taking my time with this build and not trying to rush into it.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a picture of the painted reflector. I still have to blow out the high beam reflector to get all the dust off it.

Attachments

• 20211013_180306.jpg
    20211013_180306.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the bezels painted this morning.

Attachments

• 20211014_091744.jpg
    20211014_091744.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 3

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a set on my Cobalt SS and they never would seal up correctly. Hopefully you can get them to seal this time! GL

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, an update. I went back to retrofits after running some alpharex oem projector knock-offs (which worked decent) but just weren't as good as my retrofits. But after a few months I was still getting moisture in them, even though they were sealed with silicone and had desiccant packets in them. So, I decided to redo the whole setup. Stripped the paint off the surrounds, down to bare plastic, pulled the projectors out and decided to paint the low beam reflector bowl. I'm going with a black hammered finish paint that's more of a dark gray. I also ordered a new set of plastic lenses since mine are pretty beat and the cost vs trying to polish and remove all the old glue isn't worth it. Still debating on adding some demon eyes to the setup. Basically, I'm taking my time with this build and not trying to rush into it.
I'm wanting to take the route of retrofitting quad headlights, but I want to patch the gap by the turn signal where it doubles as a side marker and install amber LED strips in the amber reflectors like in the first picture. Is there something like that available or would I have to make my own? The second picture is from a Ram 1500 with dual headlights that is only seen in Argentina. You can see the lack of a side marker gap.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 12-52-09 Ram Retrofit RGB Corner Leds Pixelblaze.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 12-52-09 Ram Retrofit RGB Corner Leds Pixelblaze.png
    610.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 17-31-40 RAM 1500 2017, entrega y review - YouTube.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 17-31-40 RAM 1500 2017, entrega y review - YouTube.png
    625.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm wanting to take the route of retrofitting quad headlights, but I want to patch the gap by the turn signal where it doubles as a side marker and install amber LED strips in the amber reflectors like in the first picture. Is there something like that available or would I have to make my own? The second picture is from a Ram 1500 with dual headlights that is only seen in Argentina. You can see the lack of a side marker gap.
You'd have to find some small led strips and mount them. If you read through this thread there was a guy that did what you were looking for, I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction. Hard to tell, but ram had the dual lights available in the US on earlier 4th gens. I may at some point do a retro on a set of those just because there's so much more room to work with and you can get a much better projector in them.

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You'd have to find some small led strips and mount them. If you read through this thread there was a guy that did what you were looking for, I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction. Hard to tell, but ram had the dual lights available in the US on earlier 4th gens. I may at some point do a retro on a set of those just because there's so much more room to work with and you can get a much better projector in them.
Yeah the headlights seen in the second photo is exactly like the one available between 2009-2012 just with the lack of a side marker gap in the turn signal and no amber reflectors. This style of headlight is only available in Argentina, no other country where Ram still sells the 4th gen. has them. If you search up "Ram Argentina" on YouTube, you'll get a better look on how they look like. I believe I remember the fellow from where I found the custom headlight videos. Just got to find the username.

Attachments

• 2017_Ram_1500_Gallery-RockLa.jpg.img.1440.jpg
    2017_Ram_1500_Gallery-RockLa.jpg.img.1440.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2017_Ram_1500_Gallery-RockLake.jpg.img.1440.jpg
    2017_Ram_1500_Gallery-RockLake.jpg.img.1440.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No new pics yet, but all the parts are in, projectors mounted. I need to verify function of everything before buttoning everything up. They still aren't perfect, but, I'm hoping they'll look better than what I had, and don't leak.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got them all sealed up this morning. I may bake them a few more times and add weight to help force the lens onto the housing so it's seated and sealed better. Overall, extremely happy with how these look. I may still try to grab a cheap set of duals and do a single d2s projector build during the winter/spring.

Attachments

• 20211025_093058.jpg
    20211025_093058.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 5