My time in transmission frustration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I got my truck back today with a new transmission. Knock wood I'm done with repairs.

Going back in time to June 15th (Saturday). I was driving back to the house late in the evening, less than a mile from the house, when I heard a load bang and the yellow check engine light came on. Transmission went into limp mode and got me the rest of the way home. PSA, loud bangs and CEL are bad.

So, Monday, June 17th, I took it into the Dodge dealer that I pass daily going to-from work, Northwest Dodge here in Houston. The service writer looked it up and sure enough 6 recalls including one for the transmission. I left it with them.

They were kind enough to supply me with a loaner. A nice 2o19 NBS CCSB Lone Star/Big Horn with 36 miles on it. They said, 'bring it back before it hits 5,ooo miles. I should have known it was going to be a while.

I received an updates with one saying, 'there are metal savings in the pan, you need a new transmission. There is one in Dallas. We can have it here before July 4th. Just waiting on Dodge approval. As you can imagine the approval never came. The rep said rebuild whats there. I think well fudge, that's not what I'd hope for.

I received another update several weeks later, bad news, they rebuilt and reinstalled the transmission. Still in limp mode. We are waiting on the Dodge rep to tell us what to do next.

About this time I am near 5,ooo miles so return the loaner for another. Truck was a stripped extended cab cylinder. Not what I'd have proffered but it was a truck with about 1,5oo miles.

Several weeks later the rep shows and says to rebuild it again. Well fudge.

They finish the second rebuild and return my truck on September 3rd. That was good timing, truck 2 was near 5,ooo. Sense I writing this nearly 3 months later, you know it didn't go well. The tranny didn't worked 'right'. Not so much that Dodge would fix it, just not right. It got worse the more I drove it. After about 2 weeks, as I was coming to a stop, the tranny would slam into 1st. It would slam so hard the first time my daughter felt it, she got out of the truck thinking we were rear ended. It finally thru a code September 29th. I took it back in on the 30th.

On to loaner 3. They didn't have a truck so they gave me a Dodge Journey. If you ever have a need to drive one, well, expect it to just be transportation. I put a thousand miles on it. After about a week I was going to the deer lease. I took that thing back and got a truck. A nice truck like the 1st with about 2,5oo miles.

The dealer kept the truck for about 2 weeks and replaced a valve. No love. It did the same thing. Took it right back to dealer.

Got the same loaner back.

The service writer had me take him and the tech for a ride. Of course, the first time I come to a stop, nothing. I start to get uncomfortable in my seat. Then it did it a half dozen times on the test drive. The techs reponse, we'll have to call a engineer. Well that's not a good piece of news right there. Why wasn't the engineer involved after the 2nd rebuild failed?

Engineer gets involved. He says lets put in a new valve body.

The truck gets near 4,7oo miles and I was going to be going near 1,ooo miles in the weekend. Got a stripped classic extended cab with 3,9oo miles. Swap it the next Monday for another truck. This one has 1,5oo miles.

The new valve body comes in and they put it in. No love. Wait for the engineer again. He finally says new tranny.

In the mean time, the loaner is near 5,ooo miles. They don't have another so the approve me going over on miles.

Today, on my way home from work I get a call saying all done. I'm about 5 away so I head on in. Truck is back in my hands with a new tranny and this time it feel right.

I turn in this last truck with about 6,ooo miles. So
Loaner 1 5,ooo miles
Loaner 2 2,5oo miles
Loaner 3 1,ooo miles
Loaner 4 2,5oo miles
Loaner 5 1,ooo miles
Loaner 6 4,5oo miles
Total (cuz I can mafs) 16,5oo miles.

I sure hope this event is over.

PS - I do like the NBS 1500s. They are nice but I'm glad to have my truck back.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Congrats and dang you drive a lot. At that rate you put 32k behind the wheel each year.
Glad to hear you got it back in time to finish out deer season. What truck do you have?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At least it's fixed.

Now kids, use this as an example of why we need to use our common sense.

How much did FCA "save" by dragging out replacing the transmission?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '15 Power Wagon. Yea, I do put some miles on. I owned this truck for 14 months before it went in the shop. I put 36k on it. I hunt out of Concan and spend a lot of time there.

I am glad it's fixed.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
wow....this sounds alot like my current story...im somewhere around just had a valve body replaced during its second dealer stint, and now my battery died after having it for 3 or 4 days in my hands...

i really just want a new transmission.. its the right thing to do FCA