My truck is Psychic! or at least happy to see me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ernest Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yes, I think my truck has definite psychic powers!

When I leave the truck, I lock the doors. When I return to the truck and I pull the keys out of my pocket, the truck will unlock even before I press a button (like it knows what I'm going to do!) Lately, the truck has started flashing its lights and unlocking when I get close enough, without me even taking the key out of my pocket. Reminds me of my dog that starts barking and wagging its tail when it sees me.

While I appreciate the truck's psychic powers, I would like to fix this. Is this a dealer fix or something I could do myself.

A few other facts that may or may not be useful

The truck will not lock with the remote fob. I have to lock it manually

Remote start works

We have a second fob that will start the truck but not lock or unlock it.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sounds like you need to reprogram the locks. Similar to the way you would program the window 1 touch. There's a thread on the procedure here. I may be wrong but I think if you press n hold the lock button in either/both directions... hold the button for 3-4 seconds in each directions. Do this a few times. See if this works. You may also need to change the batteries in the fobs also

Blue Mule

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine did that once. Turns out the contacts in the fob and broken loose from the rubber keypad and were wandering around inside the fob touching things.

Anytime i was within range, and touched or bumped the fob, the doors would lock or unlock.

Sometimes walking with the fob in my pocket was enough.

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did that once. Turns out the contacts in the fob and broken loose from the rubber keypad and were wandering around inside the fob touching things.

Anytime i was within range, and touched or bumped the fob, the doors would lock or unlock.

Sometimes walking with the fob in my pocket was enough.

Sounds like this is your issue. The contacts on the remote wear out. On my wifes chevy I put tiny little pieces of foil between the contacts and that fixed my issue.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, I think my truck has definite psychic powers!

When I leave the truck, I lock the doors. When I return to the truck and I pull the keys out of my pocket, the truck will unlock even before I press a button (like it knows what I'm going to do!) Lately, the truck has started flashing its lights and unlocking when I get close enough, without me even taking the key out of my pocket. Reminds me of my dog that starts barking and wagging its tail when it sees me.

While I appreciate the truck's psychic powers, I would like to fix this. Is this a dealer fix or something I could do myself.

A few other facts that may or may not be useful

The truck will not lock with the remote fob. I have to lock it manually

Remote start works

We have a second fob that will start the truck but not lock or unlock it.

Check out my post in this thread. It may be helpful.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/remote-start-panic-button-key-fob-issues.145877/