My truck sounds like an air boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankHill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to get ya'lls opinion on an issue I'm having. Recently the fan has been staying on for the whole drive in my cummins. I guess the fan clutch never disengages. It sometimes does it intermittently, but this week it has been on permanently for 3 days straight. I'm about to lose my mind it is so dang loud and obnoxious. Also, the MPG is suffering. Anybody ever had this happen? I have an appt at the dealer on Monday, but I'm worried they are going to blow me off and say "it's supposed to be on when its hot out" etc.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Possibly has failed, stuck, or functioning correctly. You didn't say what the ambient temp was for these 3 days. Assume it's under warranty, see what the dealer says.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It sounds like it is locked up. If you have a good dealer they should be able to confirm.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mine does the same thing if I don't drive it almost every day. It's the fan clutch. Since mine sticks every so often, I use a little spray lubricant on the assembly and that help keep it from sticking. Now when mine does it it's usually for just 5-10 minutes then it'll get back to normal.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You should visit the dealer under warranty or not. Check for debris wrapped around the clutch input shaft. I found a plastic bag on one several years ago.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to get ya'lls opinion on an issue I'm having. Recently the fan has been staying on for the whole drive in my cummins. I guess the fan clutch never disengages. It sometimes does it intermittently, but this week it has been on permanently for 3 days straight. I'm about to lose my mind it is so dang loud and obnoxious. Also, the MPG is suffering. Anybody ever had this happen? I have an appt at the dealer on Monday, but I'm worried they are going to blow me off and say "it's supposed to be on when its hot out" etc.

Hi @HankHill - How did your dealer appointment go? We would be more than happy to learn additional details of your situation via private message to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

bpgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue arise randomly - it didn't matter if it was cold or hot outside. My solution was to drive till the engine was at normal operating temps, then...

Use the manual shift feature and floor it in 1st or 2nd until it's close to redline. The fan clutch usually disengages around 5k rpm's for me and the truck sounds quieter, and feels smoother, after that. When it happens again, i repeat the process.
I know this doesn't solve the problem, but any excuse I have to let this engine scream, I'm okay with.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fan clutch in my '16 6.4 seized up in the first year. Before, it only ever kicked on during long, hot towing. Called the dealer who gave me a "its starting to get hot, its normal" speech. I refused that as an answer and got it in. They ended up replacing fan clutch under warranty.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
had a gasser 6.4 - traded it in at 30k . went through 3 fan clutches. drove me crazy. i know, the gas v diesel fans are way different.... ram seems to have fan issues, in my humble o. cheers comrades!

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
On my second clutch fan in my 14. RAM replaced first on around 20,000 miles. Would never disengage. 2nd one is starting to behave the same way at 60,000. Once truck is warmed up manual shift it to rev rpm up to around 4500 and fluid in clutch will finally flow and let clutch move. Frustrating when it keeps happening and is an issue when guys keep bringing it up on this forum. Whoever is RAMs supplier needs to be looked at.

OP
OP
HankHill

HankHill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Hi @HankHill - How did your dealer appointment go? We would be more than happy to learn additional details of your situation via private message to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

The first dealer I went to wasn't very helpful. The 2nd dealer I went to was Rainbow CDJR in Covington, LA. They were very helpful, and acknowledged that my truck didn't sound right from the very beginning. They replaced the fan clutch, now it is working perfectly. It's nice to hear the rumble of the cummins and not the blast of that dang fan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye