My wife wants to go top less...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
...so we went and test drove the new Bronco and a Gladiator. Of the two, we both preferred the Bronco. Definitely more authoritative acceleration, the seats and seating position were very comfortable, and the ride height was nice.

She wants to get a Bronco in a few years now, once all the bugs are worked out and availability normalizes.

I preferred my Ram to both. I'm going to make the pitch for a Grand Cherokee with the panoramic sunroof over the Bronco when the time comes, but if she really wants a Bronco I guess that's what we'll go with. I just think the parlor trick of roof removal isn't worth the downsides for someone who will never actually off-road.

*edit* Seriously, t o p l e s s is censored?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you are planning on waiting a couple of years who the heck knows what will happen. There is no evidence things will be normal and not worse than they are right now. With the price of gas going up in two years driving might be a distant memory lol. I would say drive a wrangler it is more of a comparison with a bronco and if you get the 392 it will rock and roll far faster than the bronco will.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
if you are planning on waiting a couple of years who the heck knows what will happen. There is no evidence things will be normal and not worse than they are right now. With the price of gas going up in two years driving might be a distant memory lol. I would say drive a wrangler it is more of a comparison with a bronco and if you get the 392 it will rock and roll far faster than the bronco will.

The Wrangler and Gladiator are the same for anything that matters to her, and she likes the Gladiator better but the Bronco best of all. I'm not paying $80k for a Wrangler.

If you want a Bronco you're going to either pay a ridiculous amount over MSRP or you're going to wait. Ordering one today means you may get it in 2023. They are only building certain configurations as well. We would rather wait and get what we want then be in a big rush.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen several of the new 4 door Broncos on the road and I really like the styling, but Bestop really dropped the ball on the soft top. The top looks like an old mans sack with all the wrinkles it has.
All of them are afflicted with this poor fit, I'm disappointed.
C'mon Bestop, you can do better than that!
This is how tight it should look with the high-end Twill they went with.
I recently replaced my Jeep top with one.
IMG_1664.JPGIMG_1666.JPGIMG_1667.JPGIMG_1668.JPGIMG_1672.JPG

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Wait. I am confused. Does she want a convertible or an off roader that has a removable top? If she wants a convertible for on road use, she should try some. There are more fun on the road and are a heck of a lot easier to put the top up before rain.

12 years ago my wife ANNOUNCED she wanted a convertible SUV to replace her aging 1988 Mustang. Instead she ended up with a 2008 Solara soft top. We test drove a dozen vehicles before we bought the Solara. She hated the noise, leaks and hassle of buttoning up the Jeep Wrangler. The Liberty had a powered folding soft top, but it was noisy and leaked air. The Nissan Murano SUV convertible was ridiculously expensive, weird and noisy.

Just for grins, I took her to test drive my favorite convertible of 2009: the Mustang. She she liked it alot, except that the engine was "kind of noisy". But now she wants to drive all the convertibles. First up is a used Audi (too expensive). Then she got serious and drove the VW Eos, the Chrysler (Sebring?), the VW Beatle and finally the 2008 Solara (which was proving hard to find). The Chrysler has no power and no trunk with the top down. The VW Eos has no trunk with top down. She hates everything about the Beatle. She won't look at the Miata because it seats only two. I dismissed the available new and used choices from Audi, BMW, Fiat, and Mini due to cost and/or reliability. We started to settle on another Mustang, but she really wants to drive a Solara first. But since it was January 2009, nobody had them (last model year was 08). We found one in Northern VA, she drove it and decided she was taking it home. Lots of power, lots of room in the trunk w/ top up or down and its quiet. We still have it. Aside from some transmission problems early on, its still a great car. At 100,000 miles we replaced the convertible top. Now I am looking for someone to redo the leather front seats.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Wait. I am confused. Does she want a convertible or an off roader that has a removable top? If she wants a convertible for on road use, she should try some. There are more fun on the road and are a heck of a lot easier to put the top up before rain.

She wants a convertible but also wants the ride height and aesthetics of an SUV. She does not want a car.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The top is like an ole mans bag...Mine looks alot smaller,its not blk or sees the sun or all that wrinkled...Yes i just looked to compare....lol

BYRON D CAGLE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My wife insists on a standard ,stick, shift with a flip top box. She chose the Mazda Miata. 180 hp and 6 speed shifter. Has an excel
paint job and hauls butt! A little small for me but she's happy as a clam! That's what counts...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the new GC L. You wont regret it. Picked this one up on Monday and wife loves it. Heck I even like it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 12.02.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 12.02.54 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are about as big as the Durango.

FAAQ2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L Diesel
...so we went and test drove the new Bronco and a Gladiator. Of the two, we both preferred the Bronco. Definitely more authoritative acceleration, the seats and seating position were very comfortable, and the ride height was nice.

She wants to get a Bronco in a few years now, once all the bugs are worked out and availability normalizes.

I preferred my Ram to both. I'm going to make the pitch for a Grand Cherokee with the panoramic sunroof over the Bronco when the time comes, but if she really wants a Bronco I guess that's what we'll go with. I just think the parlor trick of roof removal isn't worth the downsides for someone who will never actually off-road.

*edit* Seriously, t o p l e s s is censored?
There are two vehicles I would never buy 1. Jeep 2. Fiat Neither one has a good reliability record.

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a Jeep when I went on the first date with my destined to be Wife. She had hair down past her derriere at the time. Let's just say that she was not pleased after the wind tied her long beautiful hair in knots. But she married me anyway.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which is also too big. We have no use for a 3-row.

Cool. We've owned 5 Jeeps between us.
I understand that we are opposite. We need the 3rd row. I am not sure if they are going to Continue to Regular Grand Cherokee, but the new L looks just like the Wagoneer. I like the Jeep over the Bronco, and I was a long time Ford guy. Owned a few Broncos in my day. I was really excited about them, but seeing them up close I think the Jeep looks better. I vote the Jeep.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I understand that we are opposite. We need the 3rd row. I am not sure if they are going to Continue to Regular Grand Cherokee, but the new L looks just like the Wagoneer. I like the Jeep over the Bronco, and I was a long time Ford guy. Owned a few Broncos in my day. I was really excited about them, but seeing them up close I think the Jeep looks better. I vote the Jeep.

They are continuing the 2-row GC. The 2023, which you can now build & price, has the same new look as the L. I like the new front end, although I think I'm partial to the outgoing interior.

My wife and I both liked the Bronco more than the Wrangler/Gladiator both inside and out. The Bronco, even without the Sasquatch package, just sits you up higher. On road manners are better, as well. Steering feel is head and shoulders above the Jeep.

She's had 3 Grand Cherokees over the years. I showed her the panoramic sunroof on the new ones, so now she's wavering on which she'd rather have. She likes the Bronco but says the GC would be better for long road trips, which I agree with. I told her if she wants the Bronco, we can wait until the 2 doors are available, just use it around town and as a fun-mobile and still use my truck for road trips. The Bronco is the worst of both worlds for fuel costs, lousy mileage and it wants premium fuel.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are continuing the 2-row GC. The 2023, which you can now build & price, has the same new look as the L. I like the new front end, although I think I'm partial to the outgoing interior.

My wife and I both liked the Bronco more than the Wrangler/Gladiator both inside and out. The Bronco, even without the Sasquatch package, just sits you up higher. On road manners are better, as well. Steering feel is head and shoulders above the Jeep.

She's had 3 Grand Cherokees over the years. I showed her the panoramic sunroof on the new ones, so now she's wavering on which she'd rather have. She likes the Bronco but says the GC would be better for long road trips, which I agree with. I told her if she wants the Bronco, we can wait until the 2 doors are available, just use it around town and as a fun-mobile and still use my truck for road trips. The Bronco is the worst of both worlds for fuel costs, lousy mileage and it wants premium fuel.
I love the panoramic sunroof. Thats a big selling point. I just cant get behind the Gladiator. The Wrangler is nice. My Grandpa has a 04 that he bought new and its been awesome. My dad came out of a Ram and bought a F150 eco and it gets worst mpg then my Hemi and it wants 93 too. He runs E85 when he can find it. I cant believe they have the Bronco wanting Premium fuel too. Whats the MPG on the bronco? I havent looked into them that much. There is always the new Mustang lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 3.38.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 3.38.51 PM.png
    856.4 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I love the panoramic sunroof. Thats a big selling point. I just cant get behind the Gladiator. The Wrangler is nice. My Grandpa has a 04 that he bought new and its been awesome. My dad came out of a Ram and bought a F150 eco and it gets worst mpg then my Hemi and it wants 93 too. He runs E85 when he can find it. I cant believe they have the Bronco wanting Premium fuel too. Whats the MPG on the bronco? I havent looked into them that much. There is always the new Mustang lol.

You can run regular, but you lose about 80 ft/lb of torque. Depends on the configuration, but the four doors are mostly 20-22mpg highway, depending on package and motor.

No Mustang. Like I said earlier, she wants the ride height of an SUV. I've got a Camaro SS, so I've got the niche the Mustang would fill covered already.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can run regular, but you lose about 80 ft/lb of torque. Depends on the configuration, but the four doors are mostly 20-22mpg highway, depending on package and motor.

No Mustang. Like I said earlier, she wants the ride height of an SUV. I've got a Camaro SS, so I've got the niche the Mustang would fill covered already.
The mustang was a joke thats the new Mach E that I posted. That is a big loss in tq wow.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
We have the Mach E 4 (AWD), if you never drove one you should try. The instant torque is serious fun. My friend who has a 392 challenger said its faster off the line then his car. The GT Performance is no joke and is stupid fast. Its differently not a SUV, CUV maybe. A Tesla Y parked next to it and was huge compared to the Mach e. I been driving for the past month and the Ram just been sitting, was nice not paying for gas for a month. They defiantly have a place and if you can charge at your house you have no issues. Completly empty battery cost me less then $10 to fill it, and that gives us about 220 miles.