Mystery stop??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamBo2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey folks, I just bought a 2021 Ram not long ago. It only has about 8k miles on it. Twice now I have gotten what I call mystery stops when first starting the tuck up and putting it in gear.
Let me explain....
A month or so ago I was pulling out of a parking spot, I put it in reverse, backed up, pulled forward, and it felt like I hit a curb. I put it in park, got out to see what I hit, and nothing was there. I put it back in gear and drove off fine.
Yesterday, I was backing out of my parking spot at work. Literally the parking lot was empty. Same thing happened. This time I was in reverse and it felt like I hit a curb. Same thing, nothing there.

I know this truck has safety features that put it in park automatically if the door is opened. Do you think theres something electronic ******** with it? It's only happened two times but I don't want to wait while it's still under warranty but how to you describe that to the dealership?

Has this happened to anyone?

EDIT: I should mention it's a basic, no bells and whistles and no parking assist or sensors.

Last edited:

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Limited and that happened to me when I first got it and was practicing backing into my garage. The BLIS (from what I've learned) will apply the brakes abruptly if the system thinks you are about to hit an object. In my case it was reacting to the tires I had behind my truck. It also reacts to anything that is close to the rear taillights such as the side of the garage and in some cases, people walking by. I now turn the rear sensors off when backing up.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Automatic park sense system. Sensors "sensing" something there and especially when backing, it will lock it up and stop and U look like an idjut backing up (ask me how I know). (U can go into U connect and turn the system ref the braking safety stuff off)

I have lower Bighorn trim but do have the rear park sense, and at times, if I look at area when parking, due to all sorts of hanging objects like say bushes and such, I reach over and turn the rear sensors OFF. (In U Connect menu under safety, U can turn off the rear brake assist) (or temp turn off from switch on console)

PARKSENSE FRONT AND REAR PARK ASSIST
The ParkSense Park Assist system provides visual and
audible indications of the distance between the rear and/or
front fascia and a detected obstacle when backing up or
moving forward, e.g. during a parking maneuver. If your
vehicle is equipped with the automatic braking function,
the vehicle brakes may be automatically applied and
released when performing a reverse parking maneuver if
the system detects a possible collision with an obstacle.
NOTE:
• The driver can override the automatic braking function
by pressing the gas pedal, turning ParkSense off via
ParkSense switch, or changing the gear while the automatic
brakes are being applied.
• Automatic brakes will not be available if ESC is not
available.
• Automatic brakes will not be available if there is a
faulted condition detected with the ParkSense Park
Assist system or the Braking System Module.
• The automatic braking function may only be applied if
the vehicle deceleration is not enough to avoid colliding
with a detected obstacle.
• The automatic braking function will not be available if
vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode.
• The automatic braking function may not be applied fast
enough for obstacles that move toward the rear of the
vehicle from the left and/or right sides.
The automatic braking function can be enabled/
disabled from the Customer Programmable Features
section of the Uconnect System.
• ParkSense will retain its last known configuration state
for the automatic braking function through ignition
cycles.
• The driver can override the automatic braking function
by pressing the gas pedal, turning the rear system
ParkSense off via the Rear ParkSense switch, or changing
the gear while the automatic brakes are being
applied.
The automatic braking function is intended to assist the
driver in avoiding possible collisions with detected obstacles
when backing up in REVERSE gear.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yep, it sounds like your parking sensors are picking up something. That can be disabled in the settings of the infotainment system if you want.

BTW, you could have some dirt/gunk on/around the sensors. Maybe try cleaning them could help.