NAV updates not free?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaseyJones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a late 2018 Laramie Longhorn 2500 diesel new in early 2019 and now Uconnect is trying to sell me updates for the NAV? My truck listed for over $74K and I have to pay for updates, too? That just doesn't seem to be right. It seems like that updates should be part of the package deal. I guess my friends Google and Siri will have to help me get to new locations. Anyone else miffed about having to pay for the updates?

shaggymatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the case in my Audi SQ5 also. My fiancee has an Acura and they also charge.

I guess I look at the onboard navigation as an emergency if there's no cell coverage. The systems are obsolete before the vehicles leave the plant. Your cell phone is much more beneficial.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes overpriced updates for an overpriced navigation app. I activated mine through a forum member for just over 200 bucks back in 2018. Never do the updates, not worth the money IMO. Why pay $150 to add a few new roads or businesses. My navigation has worked fine and if it ever can't find a location then I'll use a phone app for that destination. Only bad thing was it stopped working about 2 years ago. Turned out there was an automatic update that was rolled out that didn't automatically install ( a radio update, not map update). I had to download it & update manually. It shouldn't disable because the radio needed an update

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it just a map update? No other features (not counting map-related)?

The problem with the tech on vehicles is after a certain number of years car companies eventually stop supporting updates. It doesn't matter for guys who don't keep their vehicles very long, but for guys who do, or buy used, 15yrs down the road ya can't often update things.

I mean if you use it a lot, maybe the $150 is worth it, or wait a couple more years.(??)

OP
OP
C

CaseyJones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get it, but DANG...

Thanks for the replies.

Fifty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mine doesn't have Nav, but I wouldn't pay for update either. Past couple years I been using Android Auto and Google maps, but have switched to the Waze app. Works great.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had MY 16 ED, had to pay to update. Well, I would neva do again system to out of date. With MY 19 Hemi, not even have NAV, SIRI-911 stuff, plain jane Uconnect 4 radio. I find Google Maps works just fine and doesn't put me out in the Atlantic Ocean, LOL.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
And the 8.4 with Nav is an 800.00 option. I learned with my 2014 it was a major ripoff so ordered my 2021 without the Nav.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back when Chrysler was still in charge, they had informational signs posted in the Customer Lounge.

Those signs explained that the Navigation updates should only be updated about every 3 years.
New Roads are hardly constructed each year
a new highway takes about 6 years to Open to traffic

So the yearly update is just new businesses that have opened or moved
with an occasional highway extension & new Housing projects.
These updates cost $149 plus shipping
They also include a Radio update that has to be installed before thee map update

Be penny wise & buy a Garmin or other GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic, the better GPS are programable , just like the ram nav

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I get it, but DANG...

Thanks for the replies.
If its a 2018 you can just plug in your phone and use Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, etc directly on the screen. Free updates in near real time.

Even when you purchase uconnect updates the Mao's are 1-2 years old...

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If Nav was a stand alone option, I would not order it on a new truck. But to get the higher end audio systems, it is included. So I just never use it. And I sure as heck would not pay for an update.

Google Maps is FAR better in many ways. New roads almost instantly added (and we get a lot of new roads around here every year), speed trap warnings, congested traffic/re-routes, display speed limit, etc.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You can buy a nice Garmin GPS for about the same money one of their already outdated map updates costs. I keep a Garmin in the truck for those times when there is no cell data signal. Garmin map updates and traffic are free for the life of the GPS.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
been this way for many years. Before cell phone nav was big i just bought a $100 Garmin with lifetime updates. cheaper to buy a new garmin than dealer update

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I recieved a coupon for my 2020 nav update but the thing for me is the explanation just says thousands more poi and locations. We are full time rvers and if the improvements added were campgrounds , gas stations, food, etc then I might bite but no one can answer the question of what type of places were added, they won't give any example. Then there is the whole searching off line which i still can't make sense of, maybe thats been fixed who knows but nobody is offering up any feedback

Killroy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
2019 - 2022 1500's Navs wont even work after a year unless you have a monthly subscription!

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the "Somewhat related file" perhaps. I've read somewhere that Toyota and other brands will be charging a yearly/monthly fee to use the factory installed remote key-fob features like remote start etc. There will be a "introductory" period where this/these service/s are free for a period of time (a year or two?)...and then a pay-per-use plan will be put into place should you wish to continue with the service. Sounds like the aftermarket world will find a big market if this actually happens. I do not currently pay extra for anything on my 2018 RAM Sport. I opted out of the "free trial" Sirus XM service....I don't pay for radio service either. Yeah I know many like that XM thing...I just don't want to pay for it. But that's just me.

Tony "7000 tunes on my IPod Touch" Bagley

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
They just quit updating my 11 Ram 1500 last year. I was not going to pay $1500 extra when I ordered my 19 Classic when my $110 Garmin works perfect and FREE updates.