Navigation alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaxB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just test drove a 2019 Laramie and learned it has no navigation. Pretty ridiculous for a truck stickered at $54K. That said, is there anyway to connect your phone to the touch screen to use the phone's nav on the big screen? Anyone found other alternatives with the Level 1 trim?

mainard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Just test drove a 2019 Laramie and learned it has no navigation. Pretty ridiculous for a truck stickered at $54K. That said, is there anyway to connect your phone to the touch screen to use the phone's nav on the big screen? Anyone found other alternatives with the Level 1 trim?
Im not sure why ram didnt do what chrysler did with their navigation its in there and all u need to do is activate it. My pacifica is like that w uconnect as long as u get the 8.4 screen u can turn on nav for 500

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Both iPhone (via CarPlay) and Android (via Android Auto) allow you to use the screen for navigation. Only caveat is your phone needs to be plugged in with the cable.

iPhone uses Apple Maps until iOS 12 comes out next month ( then you should be able to use Google Maps or Waze at a minimum). Not sure of the options with Android Auto but I would guess you can use Google Maps and Waze now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is always the 12V outlet and the little cubby on the dash to put a Garmin..... :rolleyes:

Nav is getting to be a tough thing for the auto mfg to sell due to Google Maps, etc - however there are places where there is not cell coverage and if you've not pre-planned & downloaded maps you can find yourself SOL without a "real" NAV system....

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
To add on to this, I actually prefer the CarPlay interface because the voice search works so much better than the stock voice integration as it uses Siri (or Google Assistant, I would presume). If you’ve ever tried to use the stock voice commands but didn’t know the exact address then you know what a frustrating experience it can be.

That being said it will require you to have service or offline maps downloaded for the area you are in an area where no phone service is available.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never been a fan of in-dash nav. Why pay for something in my vehicle which comes on my phone for FREE.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could do without the Nav, and I am because I have the 8.4 Non-Nav unit. What stinks is you lose the option to remote start, unlock doors, track vehicle etc from your mobile device. These things I am learning are not available, and cant be added onto the Non-Nav 4C units.

mainard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Can u guys use a tablet instead of a phone? Of course the tablet has data? And does ur phone charge while on android auto? Thanks

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can u guys use a tablet instead of a phone? Of course the tablet has data? And does ur phone charge while on android auto? Thanks

I have the nav activated, but have tablet installed, and a android auto clone (aa don't run on tablets) and I like Waze MUCH better. Just use phone as wifi hotspot.. 5b608f16bfca044cea7b7c1ba3008a78.jpg717f79178dabccafe9214226f697ea26.jpg

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have the nav activated, but have tablet installed, and a android auto clone (aa don't run on tablets) and I like Waze MUCH better. Just use phone as wifi hotspot.. 5b608f16bfca044cea7b7c1ba3008a78.jpg717f79178dabccafe9214226f697ea26.jpg

What mount are you using??

dan212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats interesting. I wonder if this is partly because of complaints (from people like me) that the NAV installed in earlier trucks was the PASSENGER CAR Nav as supplied by Garmin. In the NorthEast, passenger NAV puts me on all sorts of roads that are illegal for this class of vehicle. So I have Garmin 570 TRUCK Nav attached via suction to the top of the dash.

Just test drove a 2019 Laramie and learned it has no navigation. Pretty ridiculous for a truck stickered at $54K.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bill507, How is that attached in there?

Thanks!
Tourrider, it uses the same 2 factory trim screw holes under that rubber mat. Proclip includes 2 new longer ones to accommodate the base. Nice and secure. Can take close up pix it it helps..

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8

Is that a 5th Gen? I think the 5th gen is a little different because it has the 12V Cigarette Lighter adapter in that little cutout. I just went to their site and when I put in my truck it only shows 2 options for something near the vent.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that a 5th Gen? I think the 5th gen is a little different because it has the 12V Cigarette Lighter adapter in that little cutout. I just went to their site and when I put in my truck it only shows 2 options for something near the vent.

Yes, 4th gen. Sorry I didn't specify..

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Tourrider, it uses the same 2 factory trim screw holes under that rubber mat. Proclip includes 2 new longer ones to accommodate the base. Nice and secure. Can take close up pix it it helps..

Thanks! I just ordered one. I have factory NAV, but still prefer my GARMIN SmartDrive unit. Also looking for a way to mount my Ham radio remote face.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could do without the Nav, and I am because I have the 8.4 Non-Nav unit. What stinks is you lose the option to remote start, unlock doors, track vehicle etc from your mobile device. These things I am learning are not available, and cant be added onto the Non-Nav 4C units.

My Lone Star Silver Edition came with remote start on the key FOB.
It also came with something called Apex Protect and after downloading the free app for Apple I can track my truck anywhere. As far as the maps in my Apple phone, they are not as fancy as in my wife’s car but they work very well. With all that I’m not really sad I have a non-nav unit, and with the Apple upgrade to Google Maps it should be even better.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I just ordered one. I have factory NAV, but still prefer my GARMIN SmartDrive unit. Also looking for a way to mount my Ham radio remote face.
Tourruder, I also used the olive universal magnetic holder, removed the swivel and just used the magnetic base and the disk attached to the tablet. Nice flush look... url below.. worked best for my tablet but they might have a better specific application for your garmin. Please post pix of your set up when done!!!

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/oliv-amps-mount-kit