Navigation direction incorrect 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, in advance... I appreciate all the responses.
New to me 2014 Ram.
What are the possible causes of the navigation direction not being correct ? When I know I am going due N. GPS says otherwise.
The GPS as a whole is not up to date and does not work as it should. I have read the threads on this and it seems it is not worth the $ to update the maps because they are not very accurate anyway.
Even the major highways are not showing up?
Thanks

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, map updates are not worth the money or headache they may bring with download issues. In my opinion it’s better to use that money to upgrade the infotainment system. As for your issue have you tried recalibrating the internal compass on the truck? I’ve never had to do it on mine but I’ve done it on my daughters Hyundai. Typically consists of driving in circles while in a learning mode. Other than that I’d assume the problem lies in the GPS antenna or the head unit itself.

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on, thanks, I will jump on YouTube to see the recall process and how to get too learning mode. I would appreciate the GPS working, but I also can just use my phone. I just like **** to work as they should. Crazy thought.hahaha
Thanks

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Other than that I’d assume the problem lies in the GPS antenna or the head unit itself.
Yup. Check all connections. Check antenna for mounting and cracks. Check for even a tiny amount of moisture in the system.

None of this is easy.

Software update/other random stuff....only if you can verify that the whole system is perfect. Lots can happen in 9 years.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m a bit OCD myself and like stuff to work as designed too. Some owners upgrade to the CarPlay/Android Auto versions of the radio but prices are high nowadays.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check to make sure the radio is up to date software wise, there was an update a few years ago that addressed GPS issues.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup. Check all connections. Check antenna for mounting and cracks. Check for even a tiny amount of moisture in the system.
This for sure. The GPS antenna on the cab roof are known to be a source of leaks. I’ve had to replace the gasket on mine and it’s a 2018. Not the easiest part to get at. There are two connectors attached to that antenna, a pink one and a yellow one. I believe the yellow one is the GPS connection. I could see how a leak at the base from a seal could run down the wiring into a connection.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello all, in advance... I appreciate all the responses.
New to me 2014 Ram.
What are the possible causes of the navigation direction not being correct ? When I know I am going due N. GPS says otherwise.
The GPS as a whole is not up to date and does not work as it should. I have read the threads on this and it seems it is not worth the $ to update the maps because they are not very accurate anyway.
Even the major highways are not showing up?
Thanks
When you say the heading is off, do you mean on the navigation screen icon for direction of travel or the actual compass readings (i.e. N, S, E ,W) is wrong?
I agree, map updates are not worth the money or headache they may bring with download issues. In my opinion it’s better to use that money to upgrade the infotainment system. As for your issue have you tried recalibrating the internal compass on the truck? I’ve never had to do it on mine but I’ve done it on my daughters Hyundai. Typically consists of driving in circles while in a learning mode. Other than that I’d assume the problem lies in the GPS antenna or the head unit itself.
To pile on, I was told the calibration was drivers door open and several left hand turns in drive (requires seatbelt buckled). The compass module is located int the overhead lights area (same module as Homelink if equipped)

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say the heading is off, do you mean on the navigation screen icon for direction of travel or the actual compass readings (i.e. N, S, E ,W) is wrong?
Seems to be wrong direction. I know I am heading N. Says I am heading S? For example

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Seems to be wrong direction. I know I am heading N. Says I am heading S? For example
Ok, probably needs calibration or a new compass module. Have you tried the aforementioned calibration?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You have to update your radio

if it is more than one update behind, you may have to do each update in sequence

Start with this site:

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I will try to get it this week. Thanks guys for all the help

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, definitely have an old version and need an update. Will have to get a usb drive and try it out. Will update when it is done.

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, i have tried to download the update from another thread here. Went down the rabit hole.haha
when i put usb in truck it tells me file are not supported.
Suppose to have update 17.43.01

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to the uconnect website. Entered vin and nothing would pop up. Called uconnect, was told they are moving away from posting the updates and directing everyone to the dealership.
Is it possible for someone to post the 17.43.01 update in here?
Will that work? I dont really want tonpay the $135 at the shop.
Thanks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I went to the uconnect website. Entered vin and nothing would pop up. Called uconnect, was told they are moving away from posting the updates and directing everyone to the dealership.
Is it possible for someone to post the 17.43.01 update in here?
Will that work? I dont really want tonpay the $135 at the shop.
Thanks
Send me a PM tomorrow morning and I'll check my files. In the meantime, search this thread that @Mpgrimm2 put together with firmware updates...

Edit: you want post 3 in that thread...

Last edited:

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
FWIW, my compass did the same 3 years ago. At about the same time, the embedded cell radio/"air card" in my head unit stopped functioning and I lost all cell functions including telematics, OTA updates, 911, etc. When I took the truck in for service, the dealer attempted to update my radio and somehow managed to brick the RA3 head unit. They replaced the head unit and both Air Card and compass functions were restored...

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, sorryi have not been been back to update until now.
With many conversations back with sitkneelbend and trying to download the update, the truck is still not functioning properly. Dealer wants $500 to update my radio, so thats not happening.
BIG thanks to SKB for your help, walking me through the process, truly appreciate it. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Goatlocker...
USNA Grad?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, sorryi have not been been back to update until now.
With many conversations back with sitkneelbend and trying to download the update, the truck is still not functioning properly. Dealer wants $500 to update my radio, so thats not happening.
BIG thanks to SKB for your help, walking me through the process, truly appreciate it. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Goatlocker...
USNA Grad?
Time to do the UAS/UAQ upgrade (or aftermarket)! I recommend UAS, cheaper and less to go wrong except screen delamination, but that can be mitigated with some thermal management mods from my experience.