Navigation issues 2020 ram limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soonergrand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Sirius XM with Guardian for my truck. My free trial ended and now I only have Sirius xm. I recently tried to use my GPS. It constantly says that it is off line. Anyone have any insight?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You either have to sign up for guardian or advantage or what ever they call it now & pay

Most people are just using their Smart Phone APPS for FREE

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
You don't need a paid service to use the nav function. Call your dealer service center. Most likely an issue with the GPS antenna.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Mine does the same thing. I thought I was using the GPS wrong. You cant simply search an address with mine like you can with Google Maps. First, you have go to which city you want to search in, then enter the address. Mine also says "searching offline", but ive never had trouble pulling up a location if I go to the city first, then search for the address within that city. Im guessing that the GPS has preloaded maps for the entire country? Im not too sure how the GPS can plan a route using preloaded information, but again, im just guessing.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does the same thing. I thought I was using the GPS wrong. You cant simply search an address with mine like you can with Google Maps. First, you have go to which city you want to search in, then enter the address. Mine also says "searching offline", but ive never had trouble pulling up a location if I go to the city first, then search for the address within that city. Im guessing that the GPS has preloaded maps for the entire country? Im not too sure how the GPS can plan a route using preloaded information, but again, im just guessing.
It is pre-loaded maps. You can update them, but it costs like $150 each time.

Even though my truck has built in nav, I use Android Auto for everything instead. So much easier. OK Google voice control, never have to take my eyes off the road.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
It is pre-loaded maps. You can update them, but it costs like $150 each time.

Even though my truck has built in nav, I use Android Auto for everything instead. So much easier. OK Google voice control, never have to take my eyes off the road.

Ill have to get that. I recently went on a trip using the GPS and on the way home it sent us on a weird route that I knew wasnt right. I went the way I knew to go and for 30 miles the GPS was telling me to turn around. Lol.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill have to get that. I recently went on a trip using the GPS and on the way home it sent us on a weird route that I knew wasnt right. I went the way I knew to go and for 30 miles the GPS was telling me to turn around. Lol.
Just plug your phone in via USB and the nav icon will change to the google maps icon. You get all your music apps in there as well, which is nice. Phone and text messages, as well as some other apps. Very easy to use. Apple car play is the same.

Dvd2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
You don't need a paid service to use the nav function. Call your dealer service center. Most likely an issue with the GPS antenna.
Dealer is telling me you have to pay for Sirius xm guardian to use the search feature. Seems insane that I have to pay additional money to completely use navigation on a 2020 ram limited.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer is telling me you have to pay for Sirius xm guardian to use the search feature. Seems insane that I have to pay additional money to completely use navigation on a 2020 ram limited.

You don't. Neither my 2020 Ram 2500 or 2021 Jeep Gladiator have Sirius Guardian service. I can search in Nav in both vehicles.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23

You have to pay to use the search feature ONLINE, but the gps comes with maps baked into them. I think i remember someone saying that you have to pay $150 to have the maps updated for the truck.

Bertrrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
you can use the search feature if the keyboard is not locked , overall it's not very user friendly system , the interface on my garmin is much easier , I will not pay to update the built in gps. phone works fine

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
anyone have the update they want to sell? I'm leasing my 2020 and i shouldn't have to pay for the updates if technically the dealer still owns the truck. If i bout it outright, then maybe a different story. But, updating it just to trade it in in 1.5 years isn't worth the $150 they want.

even Garmin offers free lifetime updates.

IrishRifles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 Ram Limited. One year after purchasing, the online search stopped and all searches are done off line. Everything in the car is updated/paid for new nav cd, Sirius, Guardian. Spent several days on line with Ram techs, Guardian etc, no solution. I was working with someone from Ram, had a case #. . Brought the car into Ram Dealer and they kept the truck, told me I need an alignment, went to pick up truck and I was told my guardian had expired (complete BS). I had to leave so I made a new appt. Brought truck in, service manager advised they guessed my guardian had expired but weren't able to log into my account. Sat in my truck with the service manager, unable to access emergency functions or on line nav (brought in all my on line receipts). He advised me there was nothing more they could do and if I brought the truck in again for the same problem they would have to charge me $150.00/hr. Received an email from Ram in June, advised the dealer had a software update, callled the dealer and was advised there is no update. Returned the email to Ram advising the dealership had no update. I never geard back. Very frustrating after paying 65k for this truck.

KDT1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 2020 Classic I have to have the phone connected via usb and use android auto to use Navigation.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I never renewed Sirius on my 2016 Ecodiesel or my 2020 HO. The Nav system on both trucks works fine including search and all the features. The only thing that stopped working was Sirius radio.

I also use a Garmin Nuvi and find that the Ram Nav system works as well as the Garmin GPS

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 Ram Limited. One year after purchasing, the online search stopped and all searches are done off line. Everything in the car is updated/paid for new nav cd, Sirius, Guardian. Spent several days on line with Ram techs, Guardian etc, no solution. I was working with someone from Ram, had a case #. . Brought the car into Ram Dealer and they kept the truck, told me I need an alignment, went to pick up truck and I was told my guardian had expired (complete BS). I had to leave so I made a new appt. Brought truck in, service manager advised they guessed my guardian had expired but weren't able to log into my account. Sat in my truck with the service manager, unable to access emergency functions or on line nav (brought in all my on line receipts). He advised me there was nothing more they could do and if I brought the truck in again for the same problem they would have to charge me $150.00/hr. Received an email from Ram in June, advised the dealer had a software update, callled the dealer and was advised there is no update. Returned the email to Ram advising the dealership had no update. I never geard back. Very frustrating after paying 65k for this truck.

The problem is that Ram/FCA/Uconnect did not update the cellular modem in the Uconnect unit until 2022 model year. 2021 and prior all relied on 3G for connectivity. 3G was turned off this year by all major cellular carriers. There is no more 3G network to connect to. So any "online" features are now dead in our trucks. You are paying for nothing.