Need a laugh (dealer service prices)? UPDATED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Care to see some service pricing from a Dallas-Fort Worth-area CDJR dealer? While my Reb was getting the U53 recall work done today, I asked her about swapping fluids in the t-case and diffs...here's the response I got a few hours ago, along with other "recommended" work:

Front Differential $149.95

Rear Differential $149.95

Transfer Case Service $ 119.95

Brake Fluid Flush $129.95

Fuel System $139.95

Throttle Body $89.95 or

Combo for the two (fuel & throttle) is $199.95.

I LOL'd, then replied in the negative. They don't call 'em stealerships for nothin'!

Here are some updated service prices:

Oil/filter change: $34.95 (semi-synth); $69.95 (synth)

Front or rear brake service w/ machining rotors: $199.95

TXCOMT

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I kinda doubt they would take of 4 wheels and bleed brakes for less then doing a diff. I guess they don't have to take tires off from a bay like they have, but I still doubt they would. I bet that is only sucking out the brake fluid and replacing. Didn't get the price for a transmission flush, I bet that would have been a show for sure.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuel System -- exactly what the manual says NOT to do:
..."use of fuel system cleaning agents should be
avoided. Many of these materials intended for gum and
varnish removal may contain active solvents or similar
ingredients. These can harm fuel system gasket and diaphragm
materials."

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What would you charge? You gotta remember a dealership has a large overhead compared to a small independent shop, so of course they will cost more, people seem to forget that.

Last edited:

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
What would you charge? You gotta remember a dealership has a large overhead compared to a small independent shop, so of course they will cost more, people seem to forget that.
I don't disagree. Being a business owner myself, I know that everyone should charge what they're worth. Including a dealership. But at least I strive to provide the best service and never cut corners. My clients know exactly what they're getting when they pay my high rates.

The problem is that the majority of dealership service centers are providing poor quality service and dicking around their customers, while charging as much as they can get away with every single time.

No matter how poorly dealerships are rated on the web, they still get a steady stream of warranty work and other suckers. Therefore, they can care less to provide good service to us, because they got unlimited supply of customers.

So, they charge the Most while providing bad quality service. And we're forced to go there anyway for warranty work...

People complain about dealership prices not only because it's higher than most, but because they get bad service and therefore, poor value for their money.

And I'm not so sure about large overhead costs. Dealerships are generally very busy with constant steam of work, so they always keep their techs busy making money (large scale as there are multiple techs). I'm skeptical that mechanics get paid well at dealerships, but please rest assured that the owners pocket can always use those "overhead costs" and profit maximization.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't disagree. Being a business owner myself, I know that everyone should charge what they're worth. Including a dealership. But at least I strive to provide the best service and never cut corners. My clients know exactly what they're getting when they pay my high rates.

The problem is that the majority of dealership service centers are providing poor quality service and dicking around their customers, while charging as much as they can get away with every single time.

No matter how poorly dealerships are rated on the web, they still get a steady stream of warranty work and other suckers. Therefore, they can care less to provide good service to us, because they got unlimited supply of customers.

So, they charge the Most while providing bad quality service. And we're forced to go there anyway for warranty work...

People complain about dealership prices not only because it's higher than most, but because they get bad service and therefore, poor value for their money.

And I'm not so sure about large overhead costs. Dealerships are generally very busy with constant steam of work, so they always keep their techs busy making money (large scale as there are multiple techs). I'm skeptical that mechanics get paid well at dealerships, but please rest assured that the owners pocket can always use those "overhead costs" and profit maximization.

A lot of the good techs around here open up their own shop after a while or go to one of the aforementioned shops. They charge less than the dealer, make more money in their pocket, and generally I trust them a lot more since they are dependent on their customer service to stay alive. I've had arguments with the dealers over stupid crap they got wrong, but the good independent guys are typically awesome. Last time I got an alignment I actually had a pretty good discussion with one of the local owners about Challenger suspension/chassis mods and wheels and tires after they got mine up on the rack. His guys even had the initiative to ask me if I had my own values or if I just wanted the stock SRT alignment being that most of the suspension was not stock at all. Ended up taking his out for a test drive to do a little A/B comparison while he did the same with mine, traded some part numbers, tips and tricks, and I got an alignment cheaper than the dealer.

Now that's not to say I haven't met some good dealer techs, but usually they end up somewhere that's not the stealership after a while. The worst are a lot of the "service advisors" that don't know a damn thing about what they're selling other than the profit margin.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealerships seem to be the one exception to the saying "You get what you pay for". There are some exceptions, but the techs have no say in the pricing or their compensation for that matter. Finding a good tech, mechanic, PDR guy, etc etc is like finding a gold mine. I have found that if you take care of them they will take care of you. When was the last time someone did something for you---truck, house, whatever, and said "If you like my work, tell your friends who did it". Genuine craftsman, that are proud of their work, are a dying breed. IMHO
Jay

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It does depend on the dealership, this I can say w/o any doubt. Some dealers go the extra mile, sadly FCA seams to have a smaller % of them, but I can say there were a couple FCA stories I have been happy to hear. But far more that reveal FCA wont be there when you need them.

I had a Ford dealer pay the freight for a transmission completely out of warranty. One of the rare surprises in my life, very nice surprise at that. I was out of warranty on time, but still under the mileage by 2k miles, the dealer went to bat for me with Ford, boom Burla had a new tranny. Sadly the tech didn't put a new rear main seal in, and the tranny leaked from then on just a little, but at least it was new.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
All in all those prices aren't outrageous. Take diff fluid, they have to take the cover off clean the rtv gasket put new rtv on reinstall the cover & refill it. What is standard hourly labor rate, at least $100 these days (most likely higher) so thats not too bad a price. Most of them you listed aren't out of the ballpark.

Its not like getting your roof shingles replaced, 1 contractor quotes 8000 an another 12000 for the same brand shingles and both quote removing all the old ones......

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think you are assuming the level of service, do they remove brake fluid and put back new, and then go to every wheel and bleed them and set the level based on current brake pad wear? Do the remove diff cover or just swap fluid? Maybe they aren't out of line as you say, but the way people in general are these days I would never assume they give a **** unless I see it for myself.

So I called my oil stop just for kicks, really interesting, they charge 99 dollars for the back diff 75w140 for house brand oil, they only charge 109 for Redline 75w140, lol. People would be crazy to not spend that 10 bucks. Clearly, they don't take off the cover for this price as it would be impossible for a quick lube place to do this, but would a dealer? That is taking off cover, putting back atf sealant and letting it dry and cure, and they only charge 149 when the oil stop charges 99? Or does the dealer do the same thing as oil stop but charge 149? Like you said if they do then the service is fairly priced, if not they gouge you.

Side note, they only charge 66 for front diff.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I think you are assuming the level of service, do they remove brake fluid and put back new, and then go to every wheel and bleed them and set the level based on current brake pad wear? Do the remove diff cover or just swap fluid? Maybe they aren't out of line as you say, but the way people in general are these days I would never assume they give a **** unless I see it for myself.

So I called my oil stop just for kicks, really interesting, they charge 99 dollars for the back diff 75w140 for house brand oil, they only charge 109 for Redline 75w140, lol. People would be crazy to not spend that 10 bucks. Clearly, they don't take off the cover for this price as it would be impossible for a quick lube place to do this, but would a dealer? That is taking off cover, putting back atf sealant and letting it dry and cure, and they only charge 149 when the oil stop charges 99? Or does the dealer do the same thing as oil stop but charge 149? Like you said if they do then the service is fairly priced, if not they gouge you.

Side note, they only charge 66 for front diff.
I totally agree, unfortunately I don't believe in people nowadays and assume that they will take a shortcut each and every time unless I see it for myself that they do the full job.

Tach tech, could you share with us how do you guys do it at your shop?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I totally agree, unfortunately I don't believe in people nowadays and assume that they will take a shortcut each and every time unless I see it for myself that they do the full job.

Tach tech, could you share with us how do you guys do it at your shop?

Brake flushes we have a machine for. I’ll suck out the reservoir, fill with new fluid, then pressure bleed all 4 corners till fluid is clean.

Diff fluids depend, if it has a drain, we usually just drain and fill unless it’s higher mileage we’ll pull the cover if it has one.

For an emission service, we use the mopar kit, has a cleaner that goes in the tank and a cleaner that we run through a sprayer that goes through the throttle body/intake.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealership sucks but I actually was surprised by those prices...a few months ago when I was in my local NJ dealership and I asked about a front and rear diff fluid change they quoted me $500...I literally laughed at the service guy and went and did it myself.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Brake flushes we have a machine for. I’ll suck out the reservoir, fill with new fluid, then pressure bleed all 4 corners till fluid is clean.

Diff fluids depend, if it has a drain, we usually just drain and fill unless it’s higher mileage we’ll pull the cover if it has one.

For an emission service, we use the mopar kit, has a cleaner that goes in the tank and a cleaner that we run through a sprayer that goes through the throttle body/intake.

This makes sense, brake fluid isn't that expensive so a bleed is all or mostly labor, and the diff service of just filling-well gear fluid is darn expensive x3 qrts and sometimes more, so the list makes more sense with this info, thanks. And probably the most underrated service that has the best result is throttle body cleaning. When those get gummed up it is bad news, fuel air mix is whack.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dealership sucks but I actually was surprised by those prices...a few months ago when I was in my local NJ dealership and I asked about a front and rear diff fluid change they quoted me $500...I literally laughed at the service guy and went and did it myself.

It’s like anything else, it pays to shop around. Some shops will be higher than others by a little or a lot, wether it’s a dealer or an independent shop.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Where are you in Nj? I want to make sure I dont waste my time going to that dealer.