NEED ADVICE - About to Buy My Sweetie a Brand New 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Berkley Pigeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I was told to join "Tread Lightly" and I would get 2% under invoice. Cost me $100 to join and I got the special pricing. Ordered Aug 2020 and received custom ordered RAM 1500 Laramie Sport w/EcoDiesel, Safety and level 2 packages, 12 inch Uconnect and RAM Box on Halloween 2020. I ordered everything I could except for 22 inch wheels and air suspension. Ended up getting the 20 inch upgraded wheels powder-coated Semi Gloss Black and de-badged it. Happy as can be. Wish I had spent the extra for the Air Suspension. A bonus also received $1000 military discount and 60 months/0% finance. Be sure to check with dealer if Tread Lightly will be accepted.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would compare the stickers on both line for line. Im sure the limited has way more then the laramie as for options standard. As for your trade. I would make them pay more then they are offering. Believe me they will pay it due to the craziness out there for cars today.
Also your disclaimer is classic!!!!

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I would compare the stickers on both line for line. Im sure the limited has way more then the laramie as for options standard. As for your trade. I would make them pay more then they are offering. Believe me they will pay it due to the craziness out there for cars today.
Also your disclaimer is classic!!!!

Thanks, we ended up buying a Laramie up in Missouri near St. Louis. The truck was spec'ed out perfectly for what we wanted, and we got more for our trade than any others were offering. Except for the extended warranty we wanted, we financed close to the same at the 2019 Scat Pack. The Laramie is loaded with features including a panoramic roof and lots of other goodies. I have already added, factory chrome side moldings, a BAKFlip F1 hard tonneau cover, BedMat carpet mat for the bed, cargo divider net, passenger side door cup holder, under rear seat storage, a Hellwig sway bar and a number of other cool items.

There are several Delmonico Red Ram Limiteds in town, but my sweetie (wife/girlfriend since before MTV started) believes her truck is much more attractive. And I have to agree. We regularly get compliments from strangers on what a beautiful truck we have.

Ram6Sep2021_01.jpg

Ram6Sep2021_02.jpg

Hellwig29.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks, we ended up buying a Laramie up in Missouri near St. Louis. The truck was spec'ed out perfectly for what we wanted, and we got more for our trade than any others were offering. Except for the extended warranty we wanted, we financed close to the same at the 2019 Scat Pack. The Laramie is loaded with features including a panoramic roof and lots of other goodies. I have already added, factory chrome side moldings, a BAKFlip F1 hard tonneau cover, BedMat carpet mat for the bed, cargo divider net, passenger side door cup holder, under rear seat storage, a Hellwig sway bar and a number of other cool items.

There are several Delmonico Red Ram Limiteds in town, but my sweetie (wife/girlfriend since before MTV started) believes her truck is much more attractive. And I have to agree. We regularly get compliments from strangers on what a beautiful truck we have.

View attachment 470894

View attachment 470895

View attachment 470896
I swear you feel the need to mention "scat pack" in every one of your posts. :p

No judgement, just jealousy. ;)

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 Laramie. So far I have not found any situation where the 5.7 Hemi was not enough power. I added running boards from Amazon. Got the stainless shelf style because they go well with chrome and the red paint. I also got a rubber bed mat to keep stuff from sliding. One thing I did have to get but waited too long was locking lug nuts. Ended up buying them with new rims and tires. Get a better set of locking lugs like Gorilla. Buy them the day you get the truck. Nothing worse than carrying your luggage out to your truck to head out on a trip and find your wheels gone. Other than that my truck has been flawless. Red Ram- wheels stolen..jpg

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Your wife and I sound a lot alike. I was able to finally get back to owing a truck after 30+ years. ( My previous one was a 1976 3/4 ton Dodge with a 440 that I let go of in 1990. Trucks sure have come along way since then I’ve found.)

As a lady who is of a similar age and height as yours and yes a bit of a speed demon, I can definitely understand her wants. I did a lot of research before making my decision on which things were necessary for me.

A RAM was the only truck I would even consider. But which one? I decided that I really needed a truck for mostly highway with light off road use for hiking and such in the Montana mountains. Occasionally I haul things or tow a trailer with product/plants/trees for clients. I wanted a comfortable ride with certain bells and whistles and room for my 2 larger dogs.

I chose the 2021 1500 Laramie 4 x 4 crew cab eTorque with the 6’4” bed. It has most of what I want on it. Part of the issues I ran into had to do with vehicle supply availability, especially the 6’4” bed which was a must.

I would prefer the 20” tires to the stock 18”, but I can live with the 18”. I’m not enamored with the stock tires and am switching to all-terrain all season. Most likely the BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO 2 All-Season before winter gets here.

The items that I added right away were a LowMax bed cover and Rhino bed liner. I also had wheel well to wheel well running boards installed. I’m 5’10” and I really appreciate having them. I ordered a Westin HDX grille guard in May and it looks like it’s finally here. Living in the NW Rockies I have to contend with wildlife and I’d like to keep myself as safe as possible.

Thor (my truck) just turned 7,000 miles. I’m very pleased with it. It’s got the get up and go for passing on our two lane highways, as well as handling our 70-80 MPH speed limits. It’s comfortable and pretty quiet. It handles really well. I just have to remember how long it is for parking. I have parallel parked it when I was in Seattle a couple of months ago. I like the size of the 8” screen. I really enjoyed the fan cooled seats in the summer. They were a plus when it was 110 degrees. My hubby says I need a license plate frame that reads “Of course it’s her truck!” Personally I think “Confident women drive RAM Trucks” sounds good.

I hope she loves her truck as much as I do! You’re a good husband for doing this for her.

BTW - the color is granite, thus my screen name MTGRANITE

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I was ever to purchase a Scat pack I do not think i would be able to let it go.

Guitarest

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HELP! I NEED SOME NEW RAM TRUCK BUYING ADVICE.

It's a sort of sad day at the Handy house. We've been offered about as much for our 2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Plus as we paid for it. My sweetie (trophy wife) has decided she wants a new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. Those have been priced a little too high for us. But now that we have all this unexpected equity in the Scat Pack, we can trade it in and afford a Laramie with most of the bells and whistles we want. I've narrowed down the search and the finalists mostly look like this one below. It's been fun owning the Scat Pack and I had hoped to keep it as my car once I retire the 2006 Daytona. But this high-equity thing is just too good to pass up. Otherwise, we would never buy a truck this expensive. And it will make my wife happy.

Handy's 55-year-old "trophy wife" and Mopar speed demon.

View attachment 463029

Here's a few questions to discuss. Any other advice and pointers would also be appreciated:

1. e-Torque 5.7 Hemi or Original 5.7 Hemi?

2. 20" or 22" wheels?

3. Best aftermarket add-on? (Tri-fold bed cover, chrome side moldings, tray under backseat, etc.)

4. Things I need to be warned about? Things I need to be sure and get when I buy?

Other thoughts from Handy:

View attachment 463027

The truck in the photo above is one of two we are considering buying. It's a Laramie Limited. There's a second one at another dealer that is just a Laramie, but is pretty loaded and has the chrome package. There's a photo below.

View attachment 463028

The biggest issue with buying a 2021 Ram right now seems to be the chip shortage. Before the COVID shortages this year, trucks with the Laramie Level 1 option came with blind spot sensors. After COVID, they went to Laramie Group A without it and Group B with it. But then RAM ran out and Group B didn't get the blind spot sensors either. My sweetie can't live without her blind stop sensors. Both trucks we are looking are "pre-shortage" trucks originally ordered by small rural dealerships that couldn't sell them. They both have the full Group 1 and/or Group 2 option packages. Both also have panoramic sunroofs, rain sensors for the wipers and auto high beam headlights. The first truck has 22" wheels and the e-Torque 5.7 Hemi. The truck below has 20" wheels and the regular 5.7 Hemi. I'm kind'a partial to the 22" wheels but prefer the regular Hemi since it's a much simpler setup I'm very familiar with.

The extra Limited model chrome side molding on the first truck is only about $250 from Mopar. So if we get the second truck, I plan to stick the body moldings on there. The two trucks will be fairly identical inside and out, except the second truck has a full chrome package. It is also a little cheaper. Payments will be almost exactly the same as what we are making on the Scat Pack now. The first truck will increase our payments about $25 to $30 a month.

DISCLAIMER: It should be noted that while Handy is an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, He primarily works professionally as a Safety Engineer among other things and he hasn't worked as a professional mechanic since he was a young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, he mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, Handy enjoys driving and working on Mopar cars and truck for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
Get it without the Etorq, huge waste of money and saves maybe 50 gallons a year. Even at todays gas costs (est $3.00) you save 150 bucks vs the 3,900 cost for the option that uses and will wear out your Serptin belt since the etorq uses the belt to resort the engine. I got my 2021 Laramie Black Edition without that scam. I love my new truck; rides so much better than my 2018. I got a hella deal for my trade in also .

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Get it without the Etorq, huge waste of money and saves maybe 50 gallons a year. Even at todays gas costs (est $3.00) you save 150 bucks vs the 3,900 cost for the option that uses and will wear out your Serptin belt since the etorq uses the belt to resort the engine. I got my 2021 Laramie Black Edition without that scam. I love my new truck; rides so much better than my 2018. I got a hella deal for my trade in also .
He bought the truck back in early July. And that it doesn't have etorque. One thing I want to correct you on is there is no extra charge for the etorque system anymore. Both Hemi engine choices cost the same.

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
HELP! I NEED SOME NEW RAM TRUCK BUYING ADVICE.

It's a sort of sad day at the Handy house. We've been offered about as much for our 2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Plus as we paid for it. My sweetie (trophy wife) has decided she wants a new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. Those have been priced a little too high for us. But now that we have all this unexpected equity in the Scat Pack, we can trade it in and afford a Laramie with most of the bells and whistles we want. I've narrowed down the search and the finalists mostly look like this one below. It's been fun owning the Scat Pack and I had hoped to keep it as my car once I retire the 2006 Daytona. But this high-equity thing is just too good to pass up. Otherwise, we would never buy a truck this expensive. And it will make my wife happy.

Handy's 55-year-old "trophy wife" and Mopar speed demon.

View attachment 463029

Here's a few questions to discuss. Any other advice and pointers would also be appreciated:

1. e-Torque 5.7 Hemi or Original 5.7 Hemi?

2. 20" or 22" wheels?

3. Best aftermarket add-on? (Tri-fold bed cover, chrome side moldings, tray under backseat, etc.)

4. Things I need to be warned about? Things I need to be sure and get when I buy?

Other thoughts from Handy:

View attachment 463027

The truck in the photo above is one of two we are considering buying. It's a Laramie Limited. There's a second one at another dealer that is just a Laramie, but is pretty loaded and has the chrome package. There's a photo below.

View attachment 463028

The biggest issue with buying a 2021 Ram right now seems to be the chip shortage. Before the COVID shortages this year, trucks with the Laramie Level 1 option came with blind spot sensors. After COVID, they went to Laramie Group A without it and Group B with it. But then RAM ran out and Group B didn't get the blind spot sensors either. My sweetie can't live without her blind stop sensors. Both trucks we are looking are "pre-shortage" trucks originally ordered by small rural dealerships that couldn't sell them. They both have the full Group 1 and/or Group 2 option packages. Both also have panoramic sunroofs, rain sensors for the wipers and auto high beam headlights. The first truck has 22" wheels and the e-Torque 5.7 Hemi. The truck below has 20" wheels and the regular 5.7 Hemi. I'm kind'a partial to the 22" wheels but prefer the regular Hemi since it's a much simpler setup I'm very familiar with.

The extra Limited model chrome side molding on the first truck is only about $250 from Mopar. So if we get the second truck, I plan to stick the body moldings on there. The two trucks will be fairly identical inside and out, except the second truck has a full chrome package. It is also a little cheaper. Payments will be almost exactly the same as what we are making on the Scat Pack now. The first truck will increase our payments about $25 to $30 a month.

DISCLAIMER: It should be noted that while Handy is an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, He primarily works professionally as a Safety Engineer among other things and he hasn't worked as a professional mechanic since he was a young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, he mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, Handy enjoys driving and working on Mopar cars and truck for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
I’ll keep this short and sweet.
5.7 hemi etorque. If you can afford it it’s a great add on. Both 5.7s are great though.

Correct me if I’m wrong but 22s don’t come on Laramie. They come on limited but 20 on Laramie. I love the Laramie 20 wheels and I’ve heard it actually feels better driving. (Not tested in person, only word from a friend)

GET EXTENDED WARRANTY. TRUST ME.

all the other bells and whistles are purely up to u. I love chrome convenience packages, but everyone else has their own opinion.

Great options though. Keep us updated.

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get the "Lornhorn" with the brown saddle interior! CHICKS DIG IT!!!!