Need an opinion on trading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
$1,200 a month seems off though... I'm 41 and I only pay $1,700/month total for all 3 of my vehicles (2018 Ram, 2021 Armada Platinum, and 2013 Acura TL) plus full coverage insurance (and one is a 16 year old male). My Ram and the Acura only had a 3 year note. We are about $5k ea from paying them both off. The Armada has a 5 year note, with about 4 years remaining.
I have 2 vehicles; one beat up '07 300 2.7L and the truck. Ive only had one ticket since 2017 and that was just a stop sign. My credit is getting better, yet it just keeps getting more and more expensive here in St Louis to insure people (from what they tell me) so they have to jack the price up every 6 months. Had to make the payment in full if I wanted to save 200 bucks but fk if it isnt still insane to pay close to 400 a month for insurance. My car alone costs me $150 a month for insurance and thats liability only. I can only imagine how much it would cost me if I lived in Michigan again......firmly believe that insurance companies exist just to nickel and dime you to death.

OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You can;

Paint it blue for a couple thousand.

Replace radio through Crutchfield for a few hundred bucks.

Have the pads and rotors replaced for a few hundred bucks.

And end up with a much newer truck for those future years.

Buying a used truck is a crapshoot. You can have a mechanic go through it thoroughly and still end up with a problem. So it is kind of the devil you know versus the one you might buy.

Financial issues have been well laid out. Just a losing proposition so you need to forget that and decide whether you have to have that other truck. If it is what will make you happy for years to come then the money is well spent.
Its already blue, theres not many -if any- aftermarket choices for replacing Uconnect, and if there were its well over 3k alone to do. Thats just replacing the Uconnect system as a whole, not including speakers and what not. Another reason why Im not loving these new vehicles: auto makers making it damned near impossible to work on your own vehicles. Even my garbage '07 300 I have to have the transmission oil level checked at the dealership, god forbid I check it and top it off myself at home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
utley

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Lemme see: 45 years old, and want to retire at 46, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I will not get ignorant and state the obvious in a disparaging way. Unless health issue, U definitely should work longer, put money in long term investments, get yer house and Vehicle paid off before U retire, especially since U R talking going from 100K to 40K. Because unless U are living with Toto in Kansas, believe me, retirement does not get any easier. But OP, yer life, yer thoughts etc, do as U see fit. Good Luck on all that. All IMHO.
No house for me, I have to live the apartment life. Ive lived the last 6 years in 7 different states and honestly, Ive had more than enough. Ive had to pick up everything I own and move it all from Georgia to Alaska, to Michigan afterwards, then West Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri...my doc says I need to retire, and building aircraft isnt really easy on the body.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you aren't willing (or able) to work another 2-3 years to pay off the 2022 (make it a priority to dump all you can into it) then as others have suggested... sell it outright and walk away. Then take cash and go purchase something way cheaper and retire.
Yep. $40K a year is barely going to get your normal bills (rent, utilities, cable, food) paid. Car payments and high insurance rates are probably out of the question. Take the money, buy something with the cash and just put liability on it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No house for me, I have to live the apartment life. Ive lived the last 6 years in 7 different states and honestly, Ive had more than enough. Ive had to pick up everything I own and move it all from Georgia to Alaska, to Michigan afterwards, then West Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri...my doc says I need to retire, and building aircraft isnt really easy on the body.
ARGH, well OP, U gotta do what works for You. Maybe you can find another opportunity in your skill set and not have to bust out all the time, But alas, OP, wateva works. BTBH, 100 to 40K, gonna hurt. Be safe and hopefully make informed choices, and do not BASE YOUR CHOICE on internet guessnosis.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Is the $40k you're only household income (as in do you have a working spouse)? Is that SSI from disability, pension, or what? What's your savings look like? Any passive income?

Frankly, I think you're asking the wrong question. Unless you have additional income, I don't see how you think to maintain a reasonable standard of living with either truck burdening you down unless you plan to live in it down by the river. The better question may be how do you get the training or education needed to get a new job that you can do with whatever medical limitations you have and not be stuck at $40k/yr until you die.

Gussers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You asked for an opinion, so here goes...

You bought a new truck, and it sounds like it has a few issues. Let the dealer take care of them under warranty. No cost to you and hopefully very little inconvenience if they have a loaner for you while yours is in the shop.

For whatever you paid for it, YOU OWN the current truck. Figure at least 20% drop in value the second you drive it off the lot. The bottom line here is you made your decision, for better or worse, so stick with it. Selling this car at a loss, and buying an older car with higher miles and likely some problems with no warranty, is not a financially sound decision. You'll be out the money you lost on the first truck and in to an older truck that will be costing you a little less on payments, but more in maintenance. If something goes wrong on that older truck, it's totally on you.

Frankly, you may feel you have made a mistake buying a $53k truck, but please don't make it worse by doubling down and making another one.

A dealer is going to offer you peanuts on your truck. Carvana and those types of places are just as bad. That dealer is going to stick you and then turn around and list the truck near it's original price, saying it's virtually new - making profit off of you and the next person.

For the love of all that is holy, please stop looking at trucks for sale. There will always be a better deal, no matter what the product is - cars, trucks, computers, airplanes... You have to do your research before you make your purchase and then be happy that you got the best deal you could at the time. Then you're done. No more shopping - it will only create this doubt you're feeling right now. You'll tear yourself up thinking about "could've, would've, should've".

You have a nice truck. Sure, it has a couple bugs, but those are covered by the warranty. Get them fixed, move on, and enjoy your new truck and your retirement.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its already blue, theres not many -if any- aftermarket choices for replacing Uconnect, and if there were its well over 3k alone to do. Thats just replacing the Uconnect system as a whole, not including speakers and what not. Another reason why Im not loving these new vehicles: auto makers making it damned near impossible to work on your own vehicles. Even my garbage '07 300 I have to have the transmission oil level checked at the dealership, god forbid I check it and top it off myself at home.
I misunderstood the color.

You could connect with a company like Crutchfield or a local stereo shop and have them walk through options. I don't know exactly what you want to do with the system but I know there were options when I upgraded.

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Assuming the $11000 you mentioned is above pay off sell the truck put the $11K in the bank as an emergency fund and live with the 07 300. Do what you have to do for your health but you are young enough to find another way to make a living. You said you build airplanes you don't say what parts of an airplane but I gotta believe your skills could translate to something else that your body could handle. You might not be making 100K right away or ever but 60 or 70 id s lot better than 40. But there has go to be something. Once you figure that out start saving and go buy the truck you want. I'm 64 and "Retired" a little over a year ago after a pretty intense couple years sucking up all the OT I could to pay everything off house, cars, motorcycles, all of it. I also banged away at retirement accounts for the last 12 years or so. Even with that I took my skills and am still working 24 hrs a week in a very flexible arrangement. I'm not buying yachts and airplanes but have what we need and can do want we want.