Need assistance with replacing headlamp assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am looking to replace the aftermarket headlamp assemblies the previous owner installed on the truck as he said the stock ones got too foggy. My truck is a 2013 Laramie Longhorn which came stock with the factory Projector style headlamp assemblies. As I've experienced in other low quality aftermarket projector assemblies, the installed assemblies have that really apparent low spot on the left side of the light output. Although factory has something similar, it is no where near as apparent as what these aftermarket jobbers have (see attached picture). We just came back from a long road trip and I couldn't see anything on the left side of the truck. Was so bad, my wife said she would refuse to drive the truck until I fixed it. Could someone please point me in the direction of a replacement headlamp assembly that is similar to stock (I kind of like the stock look) without having to spend $800-$900 per side at the dealership? Thanks in advance.20220116_184157.jpg

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Are you referring to the cut off line with the step down?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am looking to replace the aftermarket headlamp assemblies the previous owner installed on the truck as he said the stock ones got too foggy. My truck is a 2013 Laramie Longhorn which came stock with the factory Projector style headlamp assemblies. As I've experienced in other low quality aftermarket projector assemblies, the installed assemblies have that really apparent low spot on the left side of the light output. Although factory has something similar, it is no where near as apparent as what these aftermarket jobbers have (see attached picture). We just came back from a long road trip and I couldn't see anything on the left side of the truck. Was so bad, my wife said she would refuse to drive the truck until I fixed it. Could someone please point me in the direction of a replacement headlamp assembly that is similar to stock (I kind of like the stock look) without having to spend $800-$900 per side at the dealership? Thanks in advance.View attachment 482914
That cut off "low spot" on the left is there by design to keep from blinding oncoming traffic ... the headlights in that picture are almost perfect and a cut off line that most of us are after lol ... nothing wrong with those headlight assemblies

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you Cheech, but I'll have to disagree. I know there is supposed to be some SLIGHT lowering on the left side to keep oncoming traffic from being blinded. However, this set (like other cheap sets) have the left side ridiculously lower. They work OK for going straight and making right turns / curves. However, when you are negotiating a left turn or curve, you can't see anything. Very dangerous. I have a brand new Durango work truck with led headlights and although it also has the slight dip on the left side, it's much less pronounced.

So the original query still stands. A second query: Could anyone that still has the factory protector assemblies please submit a picture of the beam pattern against a wall with about a 15 foot space between truck and wall? So I can see what the factory ones look like before buying them from the dealer if it comes to that Thank you...

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also the picture I submitted is further away than 15 feet and the truck is angled against the fence. I can take a more direct 90 degree picture if needed. I just took it to show how drastic the drop on the left side is. Again, thank you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Also the picture I submitted is further away than 15 feet and the truck is angled against the fence. I can take a more direct 90 degree picture if needed. I just took it to show how drastic the drop on the left side is. Again, thank you.
Old school rule is you should be roughly 25 ft away from a wall to adjust them.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good point wild one. Here is a pic of the new durango's headlights @ 25feet. As you can see, there is a SLIGHT dip but the left side, compared to the right, definitely is much higher than the aftermarket ones on the ram.20220117_055254.jpg

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Check out AmericanTrucks.com they have luxx series projectors for 700$ pair, and they have other options as well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Maybe your projectors are not aimed correctly, the lowered step part of the cut off line is used for adjusting.
adjusting_projectors.jpg
I don't believe any of the OEM LED headlights are an actual projector type light so comparing them to projectors are a moot point.
If you want some excellent side coverage, consider a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro level SAE fog lights. https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-led-fog-light-kit-for-2013-2018-ram-1500.html
Unlike putting LED bulbs in the factory fog housings, these won't blind you in snow storms or fog.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah my wife's Toyota projector has a very straight cut off line all the way across (no cut off as such). This aftermarket one is really distinct and limiting. I have them aimed high enough. It's fine for straight (and seeing the right side of the road) and turning right. It's horrible to take a left corner or bend in the road. Can't see the lane at all. I've adjusted headlights for years. I've always recommended factory halogen protectors as they usually don't have as much off a drop from right to left as some cheap aftermarket ones do (mine is a perfect case in point). It seems like any aftermarket headlight for these trucks has this exaggerated drop off.

So the million dollar question now is what do the factory lenses look like? Does anyone have factory protectors they'd be willing to send pictures of the light pattern?

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SYKRAMMAN. Could you please provide a picture of the light output from these headlights. Curious to see what they look like. I checked out American truck. They have pictures of the headlights but none show the light pattern.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Thank you Cheech, but I'll have to disagree. I know there is supposed to be some SLIGHT lowering on the left side to keep oncoming traffic from being blinded. However, this set (like other cheap sets) have the left side ridiculously lower. They work OK for going straight and making right turns / curves. However, when you are negotiating a left turn or curve, you can't see anything. Very dangerous. I have a brand new Durango work truck with led headlights and although it also has the slight dip on the left side, it's much less pronounced.

So the original query still stands. A second query: Could anyone that still has the factory protector assemblies please submit a picture of the beam pattern against a wall with about a 15 foot space between truck and wall? So I can see what the factory ones look like before buying them from the dealer if it comes to that Thank you...
You can disagree all you want ... but that is the cutoff line you want to have with projectors ... my wife's lexus has and all good projectors have that cutoff , you don't ever want the left side beam hitting or being projected the same height as the passengers side , but hey another one that comes on here for help but doesn't accept the facts lol ..

If you are looking to spend less that $800 you are going to get cheap headlights simple as that, the picture below is a picture of the cutoff line of the NOVA series alpharex headlights which are $1500 .

I don't understand why come on here , ask questions, ask for help, advice and then you guys don't believe ...

If you don't like the cutoff that low on the left aim it up, simple as that!

1642450881619.png

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even the higher end projector retrofits are the same way. They all have the step. It's either sloped or stepped, but there's always a drop. I get what you're saying, the oem projectors don't have as sharp of a cutoff as aftermarket projectors. I've tried several aftermarket and projector retrofits and personally. I ended up just going with an oem set of reflector housings because I like the pattern better than the sharp cutoff. Your other option would be to open them up, file down and remove the step and put them all back together.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Even the higher end projector retrofits are the same way. They all have the step. It's either sloped or stepped, but there's always a drop. I get what you're saying, the oem projectors don't have as sharp of a cutoff as aftermarket projectors. I've tried several aftermarket and projector retrofits and personally. I ended up just going with an oem set of reflector housings because I like the pattern better than the sharp cutoff. Your other option would be to open them up, file down and remove the step and put them all back together.
I love that sharp cutoff line myself lol ... this is the first time I have seen someone complain about though ...

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all of you for your input. Weather I agree with your opinions or not, they were helpful none the less. I've done a bunch of research and I've come away with the similar thought as hunterdan. So I'm going to go with a set of OEM lights. Will take a before and after picture for future users to have as a point of reference.

Thanks again all!!

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love that sharp cutoff line myself lol ... this is the first time I have seen someone complain about though ...
For me, it comes down to being able to see beyond. The width is great, but the distance lacked, even when aimed up. It's just preference, and who knows, maybe I'll build another set of projectors at some point. I wouldn't mind finding a set of projectors with a flat cutoff shield, hell, I've thought about building a set with 1 left hand drive projector and 1 right hand drive. Would make for an interesting beam pattern, and still give a solid cutoff.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
For me, it comes down to being able to see beyond. The width is great, but the distance lacked, even when aimed up. It's just preference, and who knows, maybe I'll build another set of projectors at some point. I wouldn't mind finding a set of projectors with a flat cutoff shield, hell, I've thought about building a set with 1 left hand drive projector and 1 right hand drive. Would make for an interesting beam pattern, and still give a solid cutoff.
I would like to see that left/right combo .....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963