Need brake experts. Drag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2011 ram 1500
Fluid flushed 5000 or so ago
Front driver brake smoking
Thought i determined was caliper
Replaced entire caliper and bracket which was a warranty from a previous autozone purchase a couple years ago
Rubber hose replaced and blead
Problem is brake drag. If i get room pads off caliper by prying im at 5 ft lbs to spin hub
Pump brakes and can barely turn hib by hand but in comparison it 25 ftlb to turn hub with brakes not engaged
Releasing bleeder does nothing
Same on other side but both are reman autozone calipers. Already swapped the new one again thinking defective no change

Is this just crap partsor do i have other issues. I would think if it was further up in sytem releasing bleeder would help but fluid just dribbles out
This sounds like a lot of brake drag and i think thats why my mileage has been low?

Thoughts

Slant6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi-5.7
1. If your not getting any fluid from the bleeder nipples remove them completely and then clean them out using a pick and brake cleaner.

2. Have all nipples tight except for one which is the one without fluid. Leave this one fully opened after cleaning or do this while completely remove. Push the brake pedal down and see ifnfluid comes out. If so follow normal bleeding procedure and your set.

3. If the above didn’t work remove the rubber hoses connecting the caliper to the rest of the system and see if you get fluid there. If so you probably have build up within the caliper

OP
OP
S

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. If your not getting any fluid from the bleeder nipples remove them completely and then clean them out using a pick and brake cleaner.

2. Have all nipples tight except for one which is the one without fluid. Leave this one fully opened after cleaning or do this while completely remove. Push the brake pedal down and see ifnfluid comes out. If so follow normal bleeding procedure and your set.

3. If the above didn’t work remove the rubber hoses connecting the caliper to the rest of the system and see if you get fluid there. If so you probably have build up within the caliper
I am getting fluid just dribbled which in my research means nothing is holding preaasure on caliper or it would squirt out meaning something in sytem was still applying preassure causing drag which does not seem to be the case

OP
OP
S

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ttt. Not much activity

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do the pads side freely in the bracket?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do the pads side freely in the bracket?
That's what I was thinking too. Sometimes rust (or a ridge) develops on the bracket where the pad is supposed to slide, and the rust may need to be filed away, down to bare steel. So the pads slide freely.

And sometimes the steel backing on the pad itself can be stamped a little oversized (manufacturing anomaly) and the pad steel may need a few strokes of a file to allow it to slide freely.

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Assuming the pads and caliper pins are moving freely.... Crack the brake line at the caliper, does it release? If no, bad caliper. If yes represurize the brakes and keep following the line back to next component, ie abs module, poportional valve, master etc to find what's not allowing the pressure to release.

OP
OP
S

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Assuming the pads and caliper pins are moving freely.... Crack the brake line at the caliper, does it release? If no, bad caliper. If yes represurize the brakes and keep following the line back to next component, ie abs module, poportional valve, master etc to find what's not allowing the pressure to release.
Cracking bleeder does not release preasure. Already replaced calipe unless its junk aftermarket parts from autozone

Anyway this much drag is normal?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had a caliper intermittently seize on my 2016, so I replaced hose and caliper, pads, and rotor.
Pads were a bit too big to slide freely (everything is new so no ridge/rust), grinder fixed them right up. I also beveled both sides of the tab on the pads to make sure an edge doesn't grab.
Made them so the pads moved nice and freely by hand when installing, as shipped, the pads would snap in but they didn't move freely at all in the slides.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Raybestos makes new calipers not remanufactured mopar.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cracking bleeder does not release preasure. Already replaced calipe unless its junk aftermarket parts from autozone

Anyway this much drag is normal?
If you opened the bleeder and let the fluid pressure out of the brake caliper and it didn’t free up then either your brake caliper is another bad one or you have something else wrong that’s not brakes. Bad wheel bearing? Hard to diagnose over the phone

OP
OP
S

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Everything moves free. Pad loose in slides. Slide pines loose. Rotor moves nice with pad pryed away do not wheel bearing. Gotta be caliper im thinking

Verb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7l
Was this ever solved? I'm having the exact same issue with my passenger front caliper and I've done the same steps with my '13 3500. I can't figure it out. Dodge dealership couldn't figure it out either. They told me to replace the caliper a second time. I just did that and still the same issue. New fluid, replaced both hoses, now second replaced caliper. Still original brake pads and rotor. Only 35k miles on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Verb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7l
The new ones came lubricated. I checked before I installed them.