Need Emergency Help for 2wd lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I decided to pick up a cross member for a 4wd 4thgen ram 1500. I wanted to put this on my ram 1500 2wd. I already had a maxtrac 7 inch lift on my truck so I figured it would help lower the lower control arms so they wouldn’t sit as high on the part where they mount on the truck. Unfortunately after realizing I would need to drill the front cross member mount on my truck to get the thing to fit, I can’t find the right suspension set up. I put a 2 inch spacer so my truck would sit at the same exact height as before. I also keep trying shocks that fit the current setup but my truck keeps shaking extremely bad after 10 miles an hour or bumps. I need my vehicle for work so I don’t know what options I have at this point. I got a head of my self I admit and need some ideas to either make this thing work or something I can do to go back? I think I can remove the cross member but I drilled holes on the mounts where the control arms go so Im not sure if thats even an option now. Appreciate any input at this time

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What all exactly is done to the truck? What shocks? What tires? How’s the alignment? And you can’t just throw random parts at it thinking it’ll fix it. A lot is involved in lift kits above and beyond just adding spacers or a crossmember drop. The 2wd lifts use a completely different setup. As you’ve seen. Post some pictures if possible so we can assess the damage.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I’m wondering what the purpose of the crossmember would actually serve.

Other than drilling some holes, was there any other cuts or such done?

Are all the old pieces ( prior to what you just did) still in tack?

If all was done was just drilling a few holes….. why can’t you just put everything back to the way it was ? Sure, you’ll have a few extra holes, but seems like something is missing here.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
The coil buckets are way too low to begin with. Lowering the crossmember further is pushing the ball joints past their operating range.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So I decided to pick up a cross member for a 4wd 4thgen ram 1500. I wanted to put this on my ram 1500 2wd. I already had a maxtrac 7 inch lift on my truck so I figured it would help lower the lower control arms so they wouldn’t sit as high on the part where they mount on the truck. Unfortunately after realizing I would need to drill the front cross member mount on my truck to get the thing to fit, I can’t find the right suspension set up. I put a 2 inch spacer so my truck would sit at the same exact height as before. I also keep trying shocks that fit the current setup but my truck keeps shaking extremely bad after 10 miles an hour or bumps. I need my vehicle for work so I don’t know what options I have at this point. I got a head of my self I admit and need some ideas to either make this thing work or something I can do to go back? I think I can remove the cross member but I drilled holes on the mounts where the control arms go so Im not sure if thats even an option now. Appreciate any input at this time
Whatever you’re doing Stop!!!

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m wondering what the purpose of the crossmember would actually serve.

Other than drilling some holes, was there any other cuts or such done?

Are all the old pieces ( prior to what you just did) still in tack?

If all was done was just drilling a few holes….. why can’t you just put everything back to the way it was ? Sure, you’ll have a few extra holes, but seems like something is missing here.
So the problem was I had to make holes right under the oem location for the control arms to go in. So now If I try to put the control arms back in they will be lower on the front which I think is maybe dangerous or could cause issues. I was thinking to weld that up but not sure if thats a safe option still

Attachments

• 9A2EAAC3-15E6-4A16-8F53-88947A238E65.jpeg
    9A2EAAC3-15E6-4A16-8F53-88947A238E65.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What all exactly is done to the truck? What shocks? What tires? How’s the alignment? And you can’t just throw random parts at it thinking it’ll fix it. A lot is involved in lift kits above and beyond just adding spacers or a crossmember drop. The 2wd lifts use a completely different setup. As you’ve seen. Post some pictures if possible so we can assess the damage.
It has a 7 inch Maxtrac lift. 35 inch tires. Alignment was good and it had no issues. I put a cross member from a rough country lift kit on it. This lowered the control arm connection points on my truck by 4 inches. On the front the cross member didnt align with the oem hole so we decided to drill one right under it so it would fit. I had to put in a 2.5 inch spacer which gave the truck the same height as before. I put in Rancho shocks for a 2009 ram 2500 2wd that were 2 inches longer than the old ones because the old ones wouldn’t reach. Alignment is off currently as the truck couldnt even be road tested because of the jumping. Ill attach some pics.

Attachments

• 3004314D-E578-4D7F-BC1B-4A048FB1C190.jpeg
    3004314D-E578-4D7F-BC1B-4A048FB1C190.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 14
  • A3348AA4-BFD2-43DC-8197-1093E49B8B28.jpeg
    A3348AA4-BFD2-43DC-8197-1093E49B8B28.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 7B61DD79-9D8D-4801-ACE3-02BFDC5FC0AC.jpeg
    7B61DD79-9D8D-4801-ACE3-02BFDC5FC0AC.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 15570DD8-928F-4D96-9840-C9A82106D733.jpeg
    15570DD8-928F-4D96-9840-C9A82106D733.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 14

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
It has a 7 inch Maxtrac lift. 35 inch tires. Alignment was good and it had no issues. I put a cross member from a rough country lift kit on it. This lowered the control arm connection points on my truck by 4 inches. On the front the cross member didnt align with the oem hole so we decided to drill one right under it so it would fit. I had to put in a 2.5 inch spacer which gave the truck the same height as before. I put in Rancho shocks for a 2009 ram 2500 2wd that were 2 inches longer than the old ones because the old ones wouldn’t reach. Alignment is off currently as the truck couldnt even be road tested because of the jumping. Ill attach some pics.
Show a picture of the upper control arm with the truck on the ground

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I was thinking of doing this to my truck since I heard the crossmembers do fit on the 2wd .... hopefully you get this figured out and I can do this to mine lol ...

You are probably going to need better UCAs for sure and longer shocks and springs though is my guess ...

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking of doing this to my truck since I heard the crossmembers do fit on the 2wd .... hopefully you get this figured out and I can do this to mine lol ...

You are probably going to need better UCAs for sure and longer shocks and springs though is my guess ...Y
Show a picture of the upper control arm with the truck on the ground
I actually had to remove the cross member and reweld the holes I did under the original lower control arm holes. It was a big waste of time, headache and hole in my wallet. Upper control arm angle was fine in my view. As someone else had mentioned I think the issues came about due to the lower control cups being too low which will mess with the spring. You would basically need a flat lower control arm or a spring that can work at that angle but good luck finding any of that.

Attachments

• 02C55DC8-8EC6-45D1-BA60-356269A71101.jpeg
    02C55DC8-8EC6-45D1-BA60-356269A71101.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You are probably going to need better UCAs for sure and longer shocks and springs though is my guess ...
Please do not attempt this. You will need a custom control arm or a spring specifically made for that suspension setup which is going to be super tough.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Look into a coilover conversion. Swap to the 4wd lower control arms and weld on the upper coilover mount on the frame. Then you can also look into using the 4wd front sway bar which is heavier than the 2wd front bar. A bit of work but definitely doable. The long travel trucks do the same thing but a lot more custom.
https://dirtkingfabrication.com/collections/17-ram/products/shock-towers-dk-541908-st

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Look into a coilover conversion. Swap to the 4wd lower control arms and weld on the upper coilover mount on the frame. Then you can also look into using the 4wd front sway bar which is heavier than the 2wd front bar. A bit of work but definitely doable. The long travel trucks do the same thing but a lot more custom.
https://dirtkingfabrication.com/collections/17-ram/products/shock-towers-dk-541908-st
Yeah these guys are just down the street from me, I rather go with dirt king, already talked to them a while back but don't want to dish out the money for all that right now lol ...

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah these guys are just down the street from me, I rather go with dirt king, already talked to them a while back but don't want to dish out the money for all that right now lol ...
You don’t have to do the long travel kit but it would still require custom built coilovers doing it the way I said. I debated on doing a custom built setup but it’s pointless on the 4wd because the cv will max out.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
All the ideas were great till the upper coil buckets were left in place.

Like others said since you can weld get the DK upper mounting brackets. You can use any off the shelf coilover from 0-3" oem 4x4 lower control arm maxtrac spindle and now you'll have close to 1.5x the suspension travel.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Just great….. now you guys have me wondering ‘…. Hmmmm….. this could work’. Just great. $$$ lol :gr_grin:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Just great….. now you guys have me wondering ‘…. Hmmmm….. this could work’. Just great. $$$ lol :gr_grin:

Once I save the coin this is happening. I'll post the pics. I'm wanting a 2.5" Bilstein or Fox coilover.

Rebuild my Maxtrac upper control arms. Install new OEM equivalent 4x4 lower control arm. I'll have brand new inner tie rods from Holley's in house branding called Proforged. Moog outer tie rod ends. Also use Proforged lower ball joints soon as my current situation needs some attention.

Bumpstops are installed on the coilover with off the shelf ram 1500 coilovers?

Thinking about this out loud off the shelf coilovers will be too stiff on the spring. They are set for what 100-200 extra pounds for the 4x4 weight?

Call whomever you're buying those coilovers from and explain the build. That way your not installing, testing, removing, shipping, installing again *sob*. When you can get it right on the first try with additional info.

Good luck to all venturing down this path.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Once I save the coin this is happening. I'll post the pics. I'm wanting a 2.5" Bilstein or Fox coilover.

Rebuild my Maxtrac upper control arms. Install new OEM equivalent 4x4 lower control arm. I'll have brand new inner tie rods from Holley's in house branding called Proforged. Moog outer tie rod ends. Also use Proforged lower ball joints soon as my current situation needs some attention.

Bumpstops are installed on the coilover with off the shelf ram 1500 coilovers?

Thinking about this out loud off the shelf coilovers will be too stiff on the spring. They are set for what 100-200 extra pounds for the 4x4 weight?

Call whomever you're buying those coilovers from and explain the build. That way your not installing, testing, removing, shipping, installing again *sob*. When you can get it right on the first try with additional info.

Good luck to all venturing down this path.

Definately will be watching for your progress on this :gr_grin: