Need help 87 Ram Charger Ignition Switch Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my dad is picking up a pretty clean 87 Ram Charger 318 2wd. Its a one owner, but has sat for about 11 years. The owner has miss placed the keys. He was reading that its not just a simple thing to fix. Does anyone know the exact steps it would take to replace it, so we can start trying to get it running. He doesn't want to call a lock smith.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can take off the steering wheel and remove anything in the way so you can access the lock cylinder as seen below.

You will need a new lock cylinder with a key to replace it with.

It would be far easier to call a locksmith and have them make a new key.

Snap2.jpg

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The doors thankfully are unlocked. I cleaned out all of the trash in it. Our thought was maybe if we have to pop the door lock and take it and have a key made. Assuming its all one key.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can take off the steering wheel and remove anything in the way so you can access the lock cylinder as seen below.

You will need a new lock cylinder with a key to replace it with.

It would be far easier to call a locksmith and have them make a new key.

View attachment 462866
He was looking at it to replace it, and its not like a standard cylinder lock. I havent had much time to really dig into literally he found out it was his yesterday and its getting picked up today.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
might be cheaper and easier to just replace all of the locks/ignition with a new lock/key set. I think it was about $50 for a set. last year I did both of my 72 and 73 D100 so its one key for doors and ignition. forgot the seller / shop where I ordered it but if interested, I will look in my shop for the receipt and let you know when I get home. I'll bet they make a ramcharger set to include the tailgate lock.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
might be cheaper and easier to just replace all of the locks/ignition with a new lock/key set. I think it was about $50 for a set. last year I did both of my 72 and 73 D100 so its one key for doors and ignition. forgot the seller / shop where I ordered it but if interested, I will look in my shop for the receipt and let you know when I get home. I'll bet they make a ramcharger set to include the tailgate lock.
Yes, please if you get a chance to look at the price LMK thanks!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess the rear lift gate uses an different 'rectangle' key and they dont have a full set for ramchargers.

but here's a separate lift gate mechanism. but wow, the price!

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh wow thats expensive on the tail gate. It might be cheaper to just have a lock smith do it.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh wow thats expensive on the tail gate. It might be cheaper to just have a lock smith do it.
problem with that is, I heard that the tailgate lock unit is a 'sealed' unit and is not able to be re-keyed. now if the lock smith can make a key to the already in place tumblers, then that would work.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
problem with that is, I heard that the tailgate lock unit is a 'sealed' unit and is not able to be re-keyed. now if the lock smith can make a key to the already in place tumblers, then that would work.
I hope so. Thanks for all of your help!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
there i as a key code stamped on the tailgate lock that a locksmith should be to make a key using. i would also pull the door locks and see if you can get a key made based off them and hope it matches the ignition.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
there i as a key code stamped on the tailgate lock that a locksmith should be to make a key using. i would also pull the door locks and see if you can get a key made based off them and hope it matches the ignition.
Awesome! Thank you for the info!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
no problem. you should also be spraying the locks down with some penitrating oil to make sure the pins get lubricated. there is a possibility some may be sticking.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no problem. you should also be spraying the locks down with some penitrating oil to make sure the pins get lubricated. there is a possibility some may be sticking.
True. The drivers door isn't latching. I briefly tried messing with it before the wrecker got there.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if the drivers door isn't latching i would consider pulling the latch assembly out and soak it in a bucket of parts cleaner. you could try hosing it down with penetration oil also but cleaning work better. the newer style latches were definitely not as good as the older style ones.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if the drivers door isn't latching i would consider pulling the latch assembly out and soak it in a bucket of parts cleaner. you could try hosing it down with penetration oil also but cleaning work better. the newer style latches were definitely not as good as the older style ones.
It is definitely catching. I will have him pull it and soak it.