Need help! At wit's end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roy the Fixer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked to see if you have spark from the plugs? You can remove a coil pack and pop in a spark tester with a ground wire and observe while cranking. If no spark, crank sensor would be at least one suspect. I agree with the others though; that sound of the engine cranking in the video is not normal for your year and model!

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you used aftermarket sensors any of them could be the problem.
Rams (and any FCA Hemi) don't respond well to non-Mopar sensors.
-THIS-
A well known issues. Always gets sensors from the dealership if possible. They cost more but the aftermarket parts just don't work a lot of the time. I don't mean they are BAD; there is just some compatibility issue with the ECU and will not read the sensor output.

OP
OP
C

CWdaGreat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UPDATE: Just got a call from the mechanic and.......Timing chain but the mechanic is recommending ENGINE REPLACEMENT!!! He didn't really go into detail but I'll ask why the whole engine needs to be replaced.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Just got a call from the mechanic and.......Timing chain but the mechanic is recommending ENGINE REPLACEMENT!!! He didn't really go into detail but I'll ask why the whole engine needs to be replaced.
Depending on when and how the chain broke there can be considerable damage caused to the engine. How much do you trust this mechanic? You might want a second opinion but it is quite possible the mechanic is right to suggest a replacement engine.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm kind of splitting hairs at this point, but All CW said was "timing chain". He didn't say it was broken or if the adjuster failed, and it skipped a tooth.

Didn't the "car" 5.7s have cam chain adjuster issues?