Need help deciding - Longhorn 10th anniversary 1500 or Laramie 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toymaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
So in the market for new truck - and I think Ram is the winner.

I'm split though on going with the more feature laden 1500 or going for more capacity with the 2500.

Both are in same range price wise...spec wise all I would add to the Longhorn is sunroof and the V8.

To the 2500 - would opt for package 2, safety package and possibly the 12" display and sunroof (not sure i need the 12" display)

I am admitted not going to be towing much - but have always been of school of thought that more capable truck holds resale better.

What am I really giving up going to the 2500 - aside from the western feel interior? Obviously pick up more payload/towing capacity.

The diesel was a thought...but again, I'm not towing much and the extra maintenance cost likely wouldn't be worth it to me. (But resale wise it will likely hold up best).

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So in the market for new truck - and I think Ram is the winner.

I'm split though on going with the more feature laden 1500 or going for more capacity with the 2500.

Both are in same range price wise...spec wise all I would add to the Longhorn is sunroof and the V8.

To the 2500 - would opt for package 2, safety package and possibly the 12" display and sunroof (not sure i need the 12" display)

I am admitted not going to be towing much - but have always been of school of thought that more capable truck holds resale better.

What am I really giving up going to the 2500 - aside from the western feel interior? Obviously pick up more payload/towing capacity.

The diesel was a thought...but again, I'm not towing much and the extra maintenance cost likely wouldn't be worth it to me. (But resale wise it will likely hold up best).

You said it in paragraph 5, "not going to be towing much". I have a 7000# loaded, trailer on order so I opted for a 1500 Limited Longhorn with the Ecodiesel. Truck came in rated to tow 9,721#. 1st drive of 600 miles I averaged 28.5mpg and 20% of driving was in the mountains. (I have the 3.92 gears). If you tow a heavier load, definitely go for the 2500/Cummins. I skipped the anniversary package as I didn't like the light brown seating surface. Went with the Black/New Saddle Brown Interior. Very pleased with how truck turned out. Took almost exactly 3 months to get here.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Considering resale value when you're buying a truck doesn't make sense to me when it comes to different models or options. Sure, higher trim levels and more capability will bring a higher price when you sell. But you're going to pay a premium for those things when you first buy it. And you will not get the same amount back when you sell/trade it in. You'll get less than what you paid for it. Plus, in the case of the diesel, you will pay more for maintenance while you own it. Especially on the HD. I really don't see any advantage in regards to resale.

My advice would be to buy the truck based on your current and immediate future needs and wants. If you will never need the capability of a HD, there's really no reason to buy one unless that's what you really want. But I wouldn't do that because of resale value. That's not to say that I don't consider how well a particular brand holds it's value over another brand (Toyota versus Hyundai for instance).

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The ride comfort on a 1500 is considerably better..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Don’t know about Ohio registration costs, but here in PA it’s $220/year for registration. The 2500 is quite a bit higher too. I put an AMP bed step under the rear bumper to help getting up into the bed.

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I vote for the 2500, I've always had 1/2 tons and decided to go with the HD this time. This is my all-time favorite vehicle. I drive a beater Datsun daily and when I drive this monster, I am a happy dude. Test drive several and buy the one that puts a grin on your face. (then post up pics of your new 2500)

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Another 2500 vote..just came from a chevy 1500...and drove both Rams before I bought