Should I pour more money into it or try and sell it

• Sell it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep it and fix it, it's worth it

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoneyPitRam89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L (239) V6 LA-Series
Hello everyone, I'm new here and was wondering if I could get help figuring out what is wrong with my money pit..I mean...truck. It has developed valve tick(seems like cylinder 1), the belt or something makes a squeak like noise even though I have proper tension on it (AutoZone sold me two V-belts with different sized cogs, that go on the same pulley), it uses about 1/2 quart to a quart of oil just running for about 5-10 mins. It does not burn oil fast enough to smoke, so I figure the piston rings are okay, and there are no leaks, as I have no oil stains on my driveway. I was wondering if anyone with any experience could help me solve or diagnose my problem. I was planning on pulling off my valve covers and check and adjust the valve clearance, as well as do a compression test and make sure my spark plugs are okay. Was planning on throwing in a bottle of Lucas Oil into my fuel tank. I want to get it driving again, so I can get a job and afford to fix anything else on it minor. It is an '89 D100 with a 3.9L TBI V6 with an A999 trans.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
are you sure the valve covers are not leaking oil onto the ground? that is a lot of oil to just have it go missing or maybe you were just low on oil. usually a squeaking belt is not tight enough especially if they are brand new and not stretched yet. usually best to put a bit extra pressure on them. a little lifter tick is not that bad especially on a truck this old. just keep the oil topped up and it should be good.

1964eastport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L 225 Tall block
I have a bad valve cover gasket on my 1985 D100 slant six 255 and I notice that the oil drips down the block and onto the transmission so not alot goes on the ground. Maybe take a peak and see how caked the passenger side of engine block and transmission are. Basically what the previous post said but hopefully helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk