Need help head gasket or what

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boseal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I had head gaskets put on my truck 15k miles ago now it’s bubling again an putting oil in raditor. It is not pushing water into the resovor, but temperature will raise sitting at idle But does not run hot while driving or with load an it is hot outside an my fan shroud came up missing bought new one have not installed yet.there is no water in oil an after you cut truck off it shoots water in resvor but sucks it back into raditor after it cools my question is does oil cooler put bubbles in raditor or is this head gasket again egr deleted

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil in the radiator, huh? Not a good symptom. Was it doing the exact same thing before they replaced the HG? Is there any gurggling in the heater after morning start-up? (another telletale)

There's a possibility the HG were put on wrong or faulty, but it is doing the same thing as before, that makes ya wonder.

Do this:
1) Remove the spark plugs and arrange each one so you know what cylinder it came out of. If you find one which appears super clean that's probably the cylinder where the leak is coming from (gets steam-cleaned from the coolant).
2) Sniff in the radiator ...do you smell combustion smells?
3) You could apply air pressure to each cylinder and see if you get any bubbles in the radiator (to know what cyl is the culprit)
4) Probably wouldn't hurt to put some dye in the oil and see.
5) Make sure the thermostat is operating fine ..which it seems like it is.

There could be an oil leak and not combustion related ...but if you're having coolant belch into the overflow. If I had the heads removed, I'd take the heads in and have them pressure-tested, and checked for straightness. If it IS the HG, a guy can almost always see (on the HG), upon very close inspection where the failure-point is. Sometimes a split between the gasket layers, or a pinhole, etc.

Zorin

Reaction score
Whenever I get a vehicle in the shop that makes a boiler-maker in the cooling system, I grab a block tester.

These are very cheap, about 50 bucks, and very easy to use. It will tell you in minutes if combustion gases are getting into the cooling system. I would start there, and see if that leads you further.

I also like to use a borescope in the cylinders, and actually look at the cylinders themselves to see if I can find evidence of coolant entry - normally what you would see if you have coolant getting into a cylinder is the top of the piston will literally be steam cleaned. A normal engine will have a black coating on the tops of the pistons, as burning fuel will create carbon that coats it.

Tim