Need help identifying clunking noise in front end after new coilovers and UCA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed a new set of coilovers and UCA on my 2020 rebel. This was my 4th time installing coil overs, and I followed the directions and all torque specs, torqued everything down at ride height, etc. I am hearing a clunking noise when going slow over bumps. I can't be certain, but it sounds like the clunk is on a downward travel, but not sure. I don't think it's the actual coil over or the UCAs, and am concerned it could be an end link of tie rod or sway bar? Aside from the clunking noise, the suspension seems to ride just fine.

Does anybody have some advice on how to trouble shoot this the most efficient way? Or, if anybody has any thing they think I should prioritize with when troubleshooting, please let me know.

Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What coilovers and UCAs did you install? Best bet is to start the easy route and physically check all the moving parts and bushings by hand then block the rear tires and lift the front end off the ground and check everything again.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What coilovers and UCAs did you install? Best bet is to start the easy route and physically check all the moving parts and bushings by hand then block the rear tires and lift the front end off the ground and check everything again.

Thanks for the help. Coil overs I installed are the Bilstein 8112 internal bypass coilovers, and the Icon delta joint UCAs. These UCAs have poly bushings, and do make some noise, but that noise is not the clunking noise I'm hearing.

I am going to do exactly as you said, check it all out, but it is super cold here already, so I was hoping to have a game plan to make it as quick as possible. Wondering if anybody has input on what I should be prioritizing with when I look at everything.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thanks for the help. Coil overs I installed are the Bilstein 8112 internal bypass coilovers, and the Icon delta joint UCAs. These UCAs have poly bushings, and do make some noise, but that noise is not the clunking noise I'm hearing.

I am going to do exactly as you said, check it all out, but it is super cold here already, so I was hoping to have a game plan to make it as quick as possible. Wondering if anybody has input on what I should be prioritizing with when I look at everything.
Rams are one of the few trucks that you can follow instructions to a T and still get wrong. Post some pictures and find someone with a heated garage we'll get you dialed in

Lavvy643c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following. I've replaced a bunch of stuff and it hasn't resolved anything. Of course when it goes to the shop the mechanic doesn't hear it...

Beeg AU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same thing happen on a 4th gen after leveling. Ended up being one of the sway bar links. Couldn’t get anything to move or wiggle when sitting idle but finally noticed the ever so slight amount of wear at the connection where it had been moving. Retorqued and it stopped.