Need help locating the other end of this vacuum hose! Pics Included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 quad cab with the factory ac. for the last 22 years the ac blows through the ducts like it's supposed too, but about a week ago, it stopped. I found the following vacuum line under the hood that leads to no-where at this point. I've taken a few pictures but haven't seen where the other end of this hose is. It has to connect up though the firewall somewhere to get to the control for the vacuum doors. If anyone can post a pic of where this line is supposed to go I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks!

VacuumHoseToNoWhere1.jpg

VacuumHoseToNoWhere2.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The other end of that hard, plastic vacuum line is inside the cab of the truck. That is the engine vacuum supply line to the HVAC housing. The line travels through the firewall specifically through the foam gasket at the hole where the evaporator comes through the firewall.

You might get lucky and see the end of the line in the edge of the foam gasket at the evaporator opening. If so, you can grab it and pull it through just enough to attach some rubber vacuum line to it.

If you don't see it then it's time to pull the instrument panel and lay it in the passenger seat to gain access to the HVAC housing and replace this line. If there is anything else that needs to be repaired or service with the HVAC now would be the time to get it done.

Reactions: Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If so, you can grab it and pull it through just enough to attach some rubber vacuum line to it.

That's the best fix. In a different post, I wrote about running the rubber line all the way to the back of the climate control, just to prevent any other part of the hard line cracking. Everything works fine now.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wanted to add something. If you do decide to remove the instrument panel and lay it in the passenger seat and you are going to spend you time working on this project, do yourself a favor and get rid of the hard plastic line and switch to the braided vacuum hose. This will eliminate any future repairs because of a cracked or broken plastic vacuum line.

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
If someone has a picture of this line connected through the firewall, I'd like to see it posted.

Thank you to all that commented and offered suggestions. It is most appreciated!

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Well I finally located the broken end. I've included the pic here that pinpoints the pass through location. It was hiding behind the vacuum hose that was routed left to right along the firewall. The arrow marks the spot that it comes through. There is some tar that seals it in the opening of the grommet. I had to clean off the tar to slide on a 1/8" windshield washer tubing. The rest was easy.

It's nice to have AC going through the vents again! Thanks all for your help and advice.

VacuumHoseToNoWhere3.jpg