Need help - new TPMS in wheels not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need some suggestions. 2016 Ram 2500 Power Wagon. Recently purchased aftermarket tires and wheels including buying new Mopar TPMS. P/N 68249197AA which are 434 Mz and advertised to fit this vehicle and pre-programmed. After replacing the stock tires and wheels and driving for awhile the tire pressure screen blanked out and just reads "--" at each wheel. I've probably driven the truck at least 100 miles since then including a 30 mile trip that was at least 11-12 miles on the freeway. I was under the impression that the truck would "learn" these new sensors but obviously haven't.
- Have to make the assumption that the tire shop actually installed these sensors when they mounted up the tires and wheels. Assuming that a shop with a TPMS tool could quickly tell if they were just dummy valve stems???
- After doing some reading I've seen reference to setting the pressure to the factory placard values (60 f, 65 r) to get them to reset. I set the pressures of the new tires below these values when I first installed them and prior to driving. Do I need to increase the pressures first and try again?
- Do I need to reset the TPMS on the truck? Was reading about a TPMS reset button under the steering wheel and after a quick glance didn't see it, but only had a quick minute to look?
- Should I just take it to the shop and have them "relearn" the sensors with the TPMS tool?

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Is it me, or has there been an unusually large number of post relating to TPMS in the past few weeks? :oops:

Just an observation….

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Need some suggestions. 2016 Ram 2500 Power Wagon. Recently purchased aftermarket tires and wheels including buying new Mopar TPMS. P/N 68249197AA which are 434 Mz and advertised to fit this vehicle and pre-programmed. After replacing the stock tires and wheels and driving for awhile the tire pressure screen blanked out and just reads "--" at each wheel. I've probably driven the truck at least 100 miles since then including a 30 mile trip that was at least 11-12 miles on the freeway. I was under the impression that the truck would "learn" these new sensors but obviously haven't.
- Have to make the assumption that the tire shop actually installed these sensors when they mounted up the tires and wheels. Assuming that a shop with a TPMS tool could quickly tell if they were just dummy valve stems???
- After doing some reading I've seen reference to setting the pressure to the factory placard values (60 f, 65 r) to get them to reset. I set the pressures of the new tires below these values when I first installed them and prior to driving. Do I need to increase the pressures first and try again?
- Do I need to reset the TPMS on the truck? Was reading about a TPMS reset button under the steering wheel and after a quick glance didn't see it, but only had a quick minute to look?
- Should I just take it to the shop and have them "relearn" the sensors with the TPMS tool?
If you used a reputable tire shop to mount your tires and TPMS then they should know how to activate and program your truck for them. If they're not working, go back to the shop.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you used a reputable tire shop to mount your tires and TPMS then they should know how to activate and program your truck for them. If they're not working, go back to the shop.
I should clarify this. I bought everything online and dropped them off at the shop to mount and balance the tires on the wheels. Than picked them up and took them back home to actually mount them on the truck. Do to some other non-related issues there was a delay when I could finally get them on the truck and haven't had time to swing back by the shop. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious......hate going to a shop only to find out it's something small and simple.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Not sure how much of a difference it would make but isn't the frequency for the newer Rams supposed to be 433mhz? Just going by what I've seen on other threads.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure how much of a difference it would make but isn't the frequency for the newer Rams supposed to be 433mhz? Just going by what I've seen on other threads.
The Mopar TPMS that I ordered are marked as that frequency.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Mopar TPMS that I ordered are marked as that frequency.
Though about the question..........so the difference between 433 vs. 434. Not 100% sure. I have seen reference of the 433 Mz actually being 433.9.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Though about the question..........so the difference between 433 vs. 434. Not 100% sure. I have seen reference of the 433 Mz actually being 433.9.
Probably close enough to work

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are aftermarket sensors floating around the river web site that have the correct Mopar number on them but they are not the OEM ones. That might be a problem.
Also, in the Jeep world there are stories of sensors not being read when installed in some aftermarket wheels with larger tires. Not sure how credible this is though.

Any tire shop should be able to check if the sensors are present and working with a handheld tool.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
1. A tpms sensor device will read the sensor If present
2. Mopar sensors have recently been on backorder and a customer has been limited to 1 per week.
3. If you received all 4 sensors at the same time, doubtful they are oem.
4. If you didn't buy them from a mopar dealer they are not oem
5 on large wheel and tires how they are mounted makes a difference
6. 315 MHZ is for mid 13 down
433 is mid 13 up to 22.
7. Tire pressure will make a difference. Look at the drivers door for vehicle pressure

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd have to disagree on #4. The sensors come from suppliers which are Schrader, VDO/Continental and some TRW, at least AFAIK. If the sensor is made by one of these companies they should work. They are not $15/ea for a reason.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. A tpms sensor device will read the sensor If present
2. Mopar sensors have recently been on backorder and a customer has been limited to 1 per week.
3. If you received all 4 sensors at the same time, doubtful they are oem.
4. If you didn't buy them from a mopar dealer they are not oem
5 on large wheel and tires how they are mounted makes a difference
6. 315 MHZ is for mid 13 down
433 is mid 13 up to 22.
7. Tire pressure will make a difference. Look at the drivers door for vehicle pressure
They were purchased off Amazon so can't completely rule out they are "fake", but if so somebody took a lot of time. They were advertised as Mopar brand with a Mopar p/n, and each came in the typical sealed parts bag with a Mopar emblem and misc. numbers and stuff on them, and the sensors had all the same markings on them. They are advertised as the 433 MHz version.
Probably should of just had the tire shop get the sensors....honestly didn't even price them at the tire shop and just "assumed" I could buy them cheaper. I know on the tires and wheels themselves I saved hundreds of $ buying them online. Two of my friends recently had new tires installed on their trucks (stock size BFG AT's) and both paid around $2,000 out the door just for tires and mounting. I priced the tires online and you could of got them for around $1,300 and then even if you paid the installation fee at a local shop you are at least $500 ahead.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I'd have to disagree on #4. The sensors come from suppliers which are Schrader, VDO/Continental and some TRW, at least AFAIK. If the sensor is made by one of these companies they should work. They are not $15/ea for a reason.
Mopar sensors to my knowledge are manufactured by Magneti Marelli.

Magneti Marelli S.p.A. (pronounced [maɲˈɲɛːti maˈrɛlli]) is an Italian developer and manufacturer of components for the automotive industry. The firm is headquartered in Corbetta, Italy, and includes 86 manufacturing plants, 12 R&D centres, and 26 application centers in 19 countries.

Typically geniune Mopar sensors are about $36 to $40 each.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Magneti Marelli S.p.A. (pronounced [maɲˈɲɛːti maˈrɛlli]) is an Italian developer and manufacturer of components for the automotive industry. The firm is headquartered in Corbetta, Italy, and includes 86 manufacturing plants, 12 R&D centres, and 26 application centers in 19 countries.

I ordered mine from my ram dealer and they are made by schrader this was for a 2020 2500.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I paid around that price for them. They are still listed on Amazon.......I know, I know sometimes it is worthwhile to buy local so if something does happen you can go back on the shop and have them fix it.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Looks like a change in 2017. After 2017, who knows

Why it's always best to buy from mopar

Further research on this yields lots of conflicting data. It appears if you research chrysler you get lots of references to trw, ad other names including sensordata who bought Schrader.

It appears the sensors are or could be best priced sourced n a global supply chain which will yield random results.

Last edited:

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like they did not get programmed or gotg programmed incorrectly. try again I think.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
probly you got counterfit sensors. or **** qaulity and the batteries dead or something. should of got them right from the dealer.