Need Help - P0563

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Hey folks,

So about a month ago I got a Battery Voltage trouble light on the dash and it made a ding sound. I pulled over, turned it off, restarted and no light or issues.

Fast forward to this week, driving on the highway, the same Battery Voltage message popped up and the Park Sense would shut off, battery gauge would shoot up and down rapidly and I lost power steering for a few seconds. I got the truck home, hooked up the Diablo and got P0563.

I cleared the code and took it for a 10 minute drive. No issues.

Today I got in and within 5 minutes the Battery Voltage light came back, the Park Sense was disable again, lost power steering intermittently, and it appeared to have went into limp mode. I was close to home so got it in the driveway however when trying to shift into park, the knob would turn but the light indicated it was still in Drive. Press the gas, tries to move forward. Reverse was the same thing. Back up camera came on but tried to drive forward. Got a couple bizarre messages on the dash and the really weird thing is the truck wouldn't shut off!

I ended up disconnecting the battery and when I pressed the gas the truck finally died.

Anyone run into anything similar before and what's the fix? Battery? Alternator? I'm at a loss.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Attachments

• error 1.jpg
    error 1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 4
  • error 2.jpg
    error 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 4

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have your battery LOAD TESTED , that should let you know if it’s bad .it sounds like the battery to me , as they will cause all sorts of strange issues .

OP
OP
Selcher

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Battery is 6.5 years old from the factory so that's a decent amount of time on it.

Can't drive the truck so might just buy a new battery and throw it in. Or a new alternator. Or both. UGH be ****** if neither works.

Appreciate the replies so far! Thanks!

OP
OP
Selcher

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Load tested the battery. 730cca battery came back at 759 and said GOOD.

So.... Alternator next?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Selcher

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Selcher, use that link GT supplied. Tons of good info.

Yes sir, I read it twice. I'm getting the alternator tested tomorrow morning.

I just threw the battery back in and the codes are all cleared of course. I let it idle for 5 minutes and nothing came up on the dash or acted funny.

Could a faulty alternator really cause all that bizarre behavior? I've never seen anything like that before with the electronics going all wonky and truck in limp mode, not shifting properly etc.

OP
OP
Selcher

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Tested the alternator and it came back good. The truck was cold and just idling in the drive way though so no codes or trouble light popped up.

The battery gauge on the dash spiking high off and on yesterday has me thinking alternator still. At no point has there been any symptom of a loss of voltage or power. It's always high voltage spikes or power surges...making me think alternator still. I think replacing it is my next step.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

OP
OP
Selcher

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
*** Update ***

Took the truck to an automotive electrical guru and he connected his scanner up. There was like 20+ codes so he cleared them then couldn't reproduce the error. I drove around for another week and nothing popped back up. I couldn't get it to error out so.....

... I traded it in this week on a 2022 Limited Night Edition fully loaded.

Not my problem anymore.

Attachments

• AC1D46D0-686D-4967-8919-BF296ECC0259.jpeg
    AC1D46D0-686D-4967-8919-BF296ECC0259.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 8BC61C62-D8ED-41FA-A06C-204546FE4EAE.jpeg
    8BC61C62-D8ED-41FA-A06C-204546FE4EAE.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 5