Need help putting new coolant 2016 Ram 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick 213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just did radiator flush/cleaning on my 2016 Ram 5.7 Hemi.
Ran heater on high 10 minutes after thermostat opened.
When pouring in new coolant it took only half the amount.
Instructions said pour in 18.3 quarts but mine took about 8 quarts total coolant and water. Tried to burp it but won’t accept any more.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks Rick

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you know approx how much you drained?
If thermostat opened and you are getting heat, the temp should stay in range. If you have an air bubble, several things will happen, heat will stop, temp gauge will spike and/or coolant will start boiling over. Just remember to leave the cap off the expansion tank!

OP
OP
R

Rick 213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not really. At the end I ran water thru thinking it would drain any more junk out. I had to run flush treatment thru twice and drove it a total of 450 miles till the radiator cap looked clean. Bought 2gallons of the 10 year 150,000 mile antifreeze. Will try again tomorrow. I’m certain I got the bubbles out. Drove 60 plus miles today with no high readings. When I did the drain I got the engine temp over 205 for the thermostat to open and more drained out. Thought I had it done. Thanks for any help.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not really. At the end I ran water thru thinking it would drain any more junk out. I had to run flush treatment thru twice and drove it a total of 450 miles till the radiator cap looked clean. Bought 2gallons of the 10 year 150,000 mile antifreeze. Will try again tomorrow. I’m certain I got the bubbles out. Drove 60 plus miles today with no high readings. When I did the drain I got the engine temp over 205 for the thermostat to open and more drained out. Thought I had it done. Thanks for any help.
Unless you pulled the block drains and blew out the heater core,you won't get the 16 quarts for a 1500 or 18.7 quarts for a 2500 back in.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
you can remove air from your cooling system easily
without starting your engine

Look at your HEMI Water Pump
You will see a plug on the left top face of the water pump
That plug is a air bleeder plug
Use a tight fitting tool, not something that is just a bit loose
remove the plug, fill the radiator until just coolant runs out, reinsert the plug.
If someone has already rounded off the Plug, look to the right, you will see a Sensor on the water pump, that will also allow the air to escape

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am very leery about running any kind of flush in an engine.

I suppose it may be necessary in certain situations, but I fear creating other problems when using it.

I would drain and fill only with distilled water, burp, and run to temp, cool, and drain. Several times, until clean water when drained. Refill with Mopar concentrate, then allow a few heat cycles to mix the coolant, and recheck for proper mix ratio.

68163848AB is the part number for the 10 year Mopar OAT concentrate.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just fill coolant overflow to top, if the system is short it takes it from that. Keep toppong off as needed.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two words, if you haven't done so already: Distilled Water (or also Purified water). I think it's less than $/gal at Aldi's and some other places (Walmart?). Worth a $2 investment. Tap water contains all sorts of minerals. If you bought pre-dilluted anti-freeze than you're all set.

In general, I usually drive my vehicles nose-up onto a steep slope by a certain building on my property after changing the coolant. Helps get any air out. And of course, whatever other bleeding process there might be.

Now that you bring coolant changes, I should probably do mine one of these days!