Need help selecting a truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadowlake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Here's another post looking for advice on buying a truck. How cool is it to be able to spend someone else's money?

My current truck is a loaded 4WD 2002 quad cab sport long bed RAM with the 5.9 engine and a 3.55 Axle. It met my needs at the time and drives very well but has had a LOT of maintenance issues on the road including going through 5 rear ends, rebuilding the 46RE trans, and broken springs. The truck is terrible pulling a trailer. It was a Michigan truck for most of it's life (so has serious rust). We now live in South Carolina so that should not be an issue.

It's time to consider a replacement.

Mine is a somewhat unusual use case. Looking for a truck that is exceptional for long trips, generally in the 600-800 miles / day range. Both of us are over 60 so the ride quality is critical. I am willing to address ride issues by using aftermarket parts, if required.

The truck is not a daily driver but we do often take it on our approximately monthly shopping trips as the nearest midsize city with Costco, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. is 75 miles away and we shop with 3 marine coolers. If I could figure out how to drop a small powered chest freezer and fridge in the bed I would because the marine coolers are really not enough in the summer.

On long trips we occasionally, but not always, pull a 7,000 pound GVW trailer, which my current truck struggles with, even at the 5,500 weight we generally max it out at. I also have a pontoon boat but it's lighter weight and only goes on the trailer a few miles and a few times a year (put in, take out, maintenance).

I'm open to diesel or gas, and have seen strong arguments both ways. Most of our trips do not involve trailering so I'm leaning more to gas but am willing to listen to arguments.

I love my long bed and regularly fill it with custom-built storage decking & dividers to be able to fill the space. Giving up the long bed would be almost impossible. Additionally, I use ALL of the back seat of the quad cab when we travel and spill over into the bed so a large cab is very attractive.

Given that I kept my last truck 20 years, reliability and longevity are also a significant concern. I'll go for the largest fuel tank available, hopefully without resorting to the aftermarket. I miss the days of huge dual tanks.

From what I can tell, my ideal truck would be a 2021 1500 Limited Mega cab long bed with a 75 gallon fuel tank but RAM does not make that truck. If I could get a 1500 Mega cab, I'd consider going to stretchmytruck.com and having them fix the truck but I need to move to a 2500 to get either the Mega Cab or the long bed and I'd prefer not to have to swap the bed on a new truck.

About the best compromise I can come up with is a 2500 Crew Cab long bed (giving up the mega cab), but again, I have ride quality concerns.

Looking for suggestions.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I am 62 and upgraded from a 2012 1500 Quad Cab to my 2017 2500 Crew Cab. It is slightly stiffer but not bad cause they went to the 5 link coil spring suspension on this model too.

I pull about the same trailer as you and the 5.7 was at the limited through hilly regions in my 1500 so I went with 2500 and 3.73 gears. If I pulled any heavier up to the 12k lb limit or full time I would insist on 4.10 gears.

I am very satisfied with it and will never go back to a 1500 as long as I pull my contractor utility trailer. Ask if you have more questions.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT he said. I have as U see a MY 19 Bighorn, 4 X 4, short bed, and I have a full tonneau cover. Works for me, but I tow 5-6500 lbs, but only local haul for hay. They do have bed mounted gas tanks and such U can get, through research. U R gonna have to go up to the 2500 6.4L to get the long bed as HEMIMANN has suggested. The 2500 has a decent ride, but U not gonna get the smoother ride like on the 1500. Yer requirements, IMHO, means the 2500. BUT HECK, U should not listen to Internet opinions, go down to a Dealership and Test drive Both and make an informed decision, all IMHO...

FYI: The 2021 Ford F150 under certain trims/ engines has Inverters built into their trucks and some have a 7.5K capability in their systems, ref refrigerated boxes and such.

For RAM, the 400W stuff in the bed POS. U could mount an inverter and tie into the system and that would give U the power U need in the bed. JUST make sure if U go that route to get a pure SINE inverter, again all IMHO.....

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm quite sure that a 2019 2500 would ride night and day better than whatever truck you can find from 2002. It's not harsh at all, just not as good as the near luxury levels found in todays half ton.

Test drive one, and your concerns with ride will be gone probably instantly.

My vote also goes to a new 2500/hemi.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't compromise on the long bed, I considered shorter but realized I can always run with bed empty, but can't add an inch to a short bed to allow me to close the tailgate if I have boards, etc.

I looked at megacab, but since I drive and my wife is up front, the boy and dog are fine with crew cab. I don't think you can get mega cab with 8 foot bed anyway, so if 8bis needed, kind of solves the problem. Love my CC, coming from 2003 quad it is perfect size.

My 2500 rides sooooo much better than my 2003 2500, it is very comfortable for long distances. Recommend that to ensure your towing is uneventful and comfortable.

For cooler, have you used dry ice. I have had coolers on boats in the middle of the summer and it all stayed cold. Didn't need a second mortgage for a fancy cooler. But I also have wrapped a cooler in a thermal blanket and pull it over the top when not in use. Less weight than a plug in cooler.

God luck!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think a MegaCab with the 6.4L HEMI and a short bed would be perfect for your needs.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you looked at the 5th gen standard crew cabs? They are amazingly larger and more comfortable that what you may be used to. If budget is less of a concern, I have to admit that I'd go look at the new F-150 with that 7200watt inverter built in.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Here's another post looking for advice on buying a truck. How cool is it to be able to spend someone else's money?

My current truck is a loaded 4WD 2002 quad cab sport long bed RAM with the 5.9 engine and a 3.55 Axle. It met my needs at the time and drives very well but has had a LOT of maintenance issues on the road including going through 5 rear ends, rebuilding the 46RE trans, and broken springs. The truck is terrible pulling a trailer. It was a Michigan truck for most of it's life (so has serious rust). We now live in South Carolina so that should not be an issue.

It's time to consider a replacement.

Mine is a somewhat unusual use case. Looking for a truck that is exceptional for long trips, generally in the 600-800 miles / day range. Both of us are over 60 so the ride quality is critical. I am willing to address ride issues by using aftermarket parts, if required.

The truck is not a daily driver but we do often take it on our approximately monthly shopping trips as the nearest midsize city with Costco, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. is 75 miles away and we shop with 3 marine coolers. If I could figure out how to drop a small powered chest freezer and fridge in the bed I would because the marine coolers are really not enough in the summer.

On long trips we occasionally, but not always, pull a 7,000 pound GVW trailer, which my current truck struggles with, even at the 5,500 weight we generally max it out at. I also have a pontoon boat but it's lighter weight and only goes on the trailer a few miles and a few times a year (put in, take out, maintenance).

I'm open to diesel or gas, and have seen strong arguments both ways. Most of our trips do not involve trailering so I'm leaning more to gas but am willing to listen to arguments.

I love my long bed and regularly fill it with custom-built storage decking & dividers to be able to fill the space. Giving up the long bed would be almost impossible. Additionally, I use ALL of the back seat of the quad cab when we travel and spill over into the bed so a large cab is very attractive.

Given that I kept my last truck 20 years, reliability and longevity are also a significant concern. I'll go for the largest fuel tank available, hopefully without resorting to the aftermarket. I miss the days of huge dual tanks.

From what I can tell, my ideal truck would be a 2021 1500 Limited Mega cab long bed with a 75 gallon fuel tank but RAM does not make that truck. If I could get a 1500 Mega cab, I'd consider going to stretchmytruck.com and having them fix the truck but I need to move to a 2500 to get either the Mega Cab or the long bed and I'd prefer not to have to swap the bed on a new truck.

About the best compromise I can come up with is a 2500 Crew Cab long bed (giving up the mega cab), but again, I have ride quality concerns.

Looking for suggestions.
Great advice from the guys above...just remember to take the wife along for the test drive or at least swing by the house when on the test drive and take her for a ride. Nothing worse than a purchase the "better half" doesn't like due to ride, noise, or whatever is her flavor of the day!

OP
OP
Shadowlake

Shadowlake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Great advice, thanks. Yes, we plan to test drive a few but I'd kinda like to have a solid idea of what I'm looking for before hitting the dealership. Given a choice I'll give up the Megacab before I give up the long bed, short beds make absolutely no sense to me. Parking my Crew Cab Long Bed has never been much of an issue, a longer truck would not matter.

Installing an inverter is not a big deal, have had one in every truck I've ever had. Oooh, I just went and looked up the Ford, that's pretty cool that it will auto-start the truck. I bet there's an aftermarket solution that is similar, will have to look into that.

I appreciate the tip about the hemi issue, did not realize that.

I'm not very brand loyal, having owned GM, Ford and Dodge vehicles over the years but the RAM seems like a more liked truck than GM or Ford at the moment.

As far as ride quality, I've had a lot of passengers comment that my truck "feels like a car" so my standards are pretty high.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I just picked up my 2021 1500 Crew Cab last night. My wife loved it and our daughter kept saying that the back seat area seemed "bigger" than our 2015. I think that you already have it narrowed down to a few options. Tell the dealer the two or three trucks that you want to test drive and he/she should have them lined up and ready for you to try.

Have fun

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also an idea, Carmax now allows a 24 hour test drive. Find a 2500 and try it out on a trip to no where. You'll get the feel for comfort level.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I'm guessing the 2500 would be a firmer little harsher ride than the 1500,crew cab not sure if it comes with a long bed,if so probably hard to come by.Motor,Hemi is an old motor now.manifold bolts and lifters are still the same problems.Dodge is probably going to have to replace it soon as it's getting left behind by the other brands.Can't just keep sticking bigger heads and pistons on it.You should look more at the ford and test drive a few.The 3.6 eco boost I believe is the most powerful out off all trucks apart from diesels brands and the raptor.Have a couple of buddies with them and they never had any problems.Personally myself i'll stick with the ram as I love the motor in mine but it wouldn't suit your needs.Mines a v6 with the 8 speed.My second truck I drive is a 2014 ford F-150 with the 5.0 motor,not a bad truck but my ram v6 is more lively as ford has been using that motor for awhile.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think ride quality is more about the road condition than the vehicle. I run both a 1500 and a 3500 on good roads and don't have a problem with the 3500. Get the 3500 near the big city of Detroit and you best have a kidney belt on :)

OP
OP
Shadowlake

Shadowlake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thanks for all the comments, I'm hoping to check out a few trucks on Thursday when we get into the city.
BossHogg: my 2002 spent most of it's life in Metro Detroit, I'm very familiar with how bad the roads are there and that influences my concern about ride quality.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do not buy the Cummins motor I’m a 2500! It NEEDS TO BE WORKED. If you use it for a daily driver you will do far more harm to that engine. Buy a 2500 with a 6.4 in it. Ride is respectable but it is a heavy duty so some bumps are going to be felt. Don’t buy more than I need but also don’t buy less either. You do not need the Cummins diesel based in what you wrote. It will also cost you about 8k more.....

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
I say look at 2500 w gas motor,
Today w 8 speed transmissions
Are rate for +~- 16.000 lbs
Trailer, 2500 will cost about
$3500 more the 1500,
But time add suff to pull 7000~8000
Lbs trailer your spending $2000
An still small transmission brakes and engine,

as for diesel are $10k to buy an $10k to ower so if tow less than 10.000 lbs East cost
~ 8000 lbs west cost, gas is better,

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't worry about the lifter issue - it is a bit overblown and isn't limited to the hemi either.
V6 and GM's have lifter issues also - not sure about Ford, but they have other issues.
Key is to use good oil and filter and change it ever 5000 miles/6 months or so.

IF you want a crew cab with 8' bed (actually 8' bed period), you are stuck with going with the 2500 and up. The 6.4 hemi with the new 8 speed will make you forget all about your old truck.
For a softer ride you can always run the tires a bit lower on air or possibly get softer riding tires.

PS. For long rides with coolers, we freeze several drinking bottles of water and line the bottom and sides of the cooler with them and then cover the cooler with a good blanket - the water stays frozen for several days if inside the cab and keeps anything we put in. Though to be honest it usually isn't and frozen goods - those would need dry ice.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just bought a 2021 2500 Bighorn CC with the Cummins last week. Traded in my 2017 1500 Bighorn CC.
I've only driven it 350 miles so far but I can say the ride quality is significantly better in the 1500. To describe it, the 1500 rides like a luxury car, the 2500 like a truck.
That's on Florida roads.
Good luck on your decision, there is a lot to consider.

OP
OP
Shadowlake

Shadowlake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
An update after visiting a dealer. They only stock diesel 2500s, no long beds or gassers at all. Drove the 2500 Limited diesel with the Mega cab and the air suspension. It definitely felt much heavier than my 1500, not sure how much of that was the ~1000 lbs of diesel. I need to find a gas powered one to drive.
The wife was "OK" with the ride. I got the feeling that she was not going to be very happy with it after 14+ hours (not an unusual trip time for us) in the truck.
Seats seems a little harsh as well. I'm wondering if better seats would mitigate some of the ride issues.
Spent some time comparing cabs between the mega cab and the crew cab. The mega cab seems designed to carry only people and is not as flexible as I expected for carrying gear. I was very surprised at the cheap supports that the crew cab uses; my 2002 1500 has solid metal that easily handles several hundred lbs of gear while the 2021 uses flimsy fabric things with plastic supports. If someone knows of an aftermarket fix for that, I'd love to hear about it. I'd be OK with uninstalling the rear seats as well.
Still investigating.