Need help to run cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys. So I have seen how some have ditched the stock garbage performance robbing fan clutch and installed the electric fan. And also changed out the thermostat for a 185 or 195 and then tuned for such. I really feel that going this route running the engine cooler will improve the longevity and could care less about the .0001 better mpg running it at the 203-206 stock temp. Really just shows these manufacturers don’t care or have little power in the ultimate decision of longevity vs fuel efficiency. Anyway that is not what this is about but want to run it at 185 or 195 unless there is a good reason it is not good for the longevity to do so?

Would like the specifics on what I need like the specific electric fan that will work for me. How to connect it and of course how to tune for it as is my understanding I would have to since the stock computer things it needs to run at 203. Thanks everyone

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Longevity the 203 is better. Hence why I went with a 190 thermostat over a 180 thermostat in my truck. The 203 will also be better for fuel economy and emissions. Only reason to change them is for more performance which robs longevity. The oem pentastar fan is the direct drop in electric fan for 4th gen ram 1500s. Plug and play. Can buy the Dorman replacement fairly cheap. Then just need a tuner. HP tuners or Diablosport. I used the diablosport for my truck. But I’m running a custom tune as well to increase power and to have my tune adjusted for all the performance parts I have on my truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Engine operating temp pre dates when they even cared about mileage, generally speaking engine temp is about boiling water off then fuel mileage. But, please don't give them any ideas, someday our vehicles will run at 250f or higher for emissions, sigh.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Longevity the 203 is better. Hence why I went with a 190 thermostat over a 180 thermostat in my truck. The 203 will also be better for fuel economy and emissions. Only reason to change them is for more performance which robs longevity. The oem pentastar fan is the direct drop in electric fan for 4th gen ram 1500s. Plug and play. Can buy the Dorman replacement fairly cheap. Then just need a tuner. HP tuners or Diablosport. I used the diablosport for my truck. But I’m running a custom tune as well to increase power and to have my tune adjusted for all the performance parts I have on my truck.
Thanks I was hoping you would chime in. My simple thinking was cooler would always be better for longevity but now that I think about it these metals obviously seem to do better longevity wise and colder not necessarily better. Still would like to run the electric fan as I have never been a fan of these fan clutches. For this truck I am not really looking for performance but more so longevity. It does have a reman motor in it that is about 120k miles old but want to ensure it lasts a very long time.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine operating temp pre dates when they even cared about mileage, generally speaking engine temp is about boiling water off then fuel mileage. But, please don't give them any ideas, someday our vehicles will run at 250f or higher for emissions, sigh.
Is exactly my thinking even if not by choice they will fold to the epa even if that means getting half the life out of anything as long as it helps the environment in their mind by .0000001% after all somewhere they just passed a cow gas tax *****

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The funny thing is between all of my family’s trucks I have replace more fan clutches than any other maintenance item on the vehicles. Granted mostly older vehicles but had to in my 2002 Ram, 2000 GMC, 1999 Dodge Durango. Just seems like one of those items that was not meant for the constant turning on and off and just fails.

And adding that the maintenance records show the fan clutch on this truck was replaced about 40k miles ago lol. Just saying lol.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So then here is the fan I’m running. And your 2012 can use the Diablo tuner to run a simple Diablo tune and set the fan setting to lower. The 203° thermostat you want to set to 215° on and 205° off so it doesn’t run constantly. You could set lower to 210° on but the fan will cycle on and off a lot more. If you swap to a 190° you would do 205° on and 195° off. And yes. Engine temp should be high enough to steam out moisture from the oil. I chose the 190° and my oil temp sits around 203° normal driving which is hot enough to steam the moisture out of the oil

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So then here is the fan I’m running. And your 2012 can use the Diablo tuner to run a simple Diablo tune and set the fan setting to lower. The 203° thermostat you want to set to 215° on and 205° off so it doesn’t run constantly. You could set lower to 210° on but the fan will cycle on and off a lot more. If you swap to a 190° you would do 205° on and 195° off. And yes. Engine temp should be high enough to steam out moisture from the oil. I chose the 190° and my oil temp sits around 203° normal driving which is hot enough to steam the moisture out of the oil
Golden information right here bro I really do appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334