Need help with 2003 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Marsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My son has a 2003 dodge ram 1500. When he turned on the headlights and used his blinkers, a lamp out warning light would blink and beep. I replaced the headlights, turn signals, rear tails lights with all new LEDs lights. I also replaced the switch as well but it keeps happening. What else do I need to check before taking it to a dealership?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know Led's have reverse polarity when connecting up and they draw fewer amps, I would replace the bulbs with OEM and take it from there, and check your CHMSL 3rd brake light if its been leaking the bulb sockets will be corroded you may have to replace it. Welcome to the forum!!!

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check all your connectors, harness and bulb sockets to make sure they aren't dirty or corroded.

Check your harness and connectors for any frayed or damaged insulation.

LED bulbs won't work, and will give the same bulb out message, if they are not "CanBus Compliant" which is what Dodge 1500 4X4 was referring to. I would agree with the suggestion of replacing all those rear lights with OEM incandescent spec'd bulbs and with inspecting the CHMSL as well.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
DSCF2130.JPG DSCF2163.JPG I replaced every bulb on my truck with LED and love them. The best thing is their bright and they don't draw much juice. The drawback is they don't draw much juice, so the computer thingy thinks you have a burnt out bulb. Quick fix is to install resistors. (see pics) Are the blinkers working correctly, because usually when you get the lamp out warning the turn signals or brake lights are hyperflashing or something weird. Which can be cool, but not necessarily legal. Usually the running lights and backup lights work fine with LED because they aren't required to do anything but light up. Sometimes the headlights will intermittantly flash too, but you'll need a capacitor (decoder) to fix that. I've not had any problems with my headlights or fog lights not working properly without the capacitors, but your case might be different. Good luck and welcome to the forums,

OP
OP
Jason Marsh

Jason Marsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have replaced all the LEDS with new OEM bulbs and checked all the connectors. Didn't see any corrosion or cut wires. Its still doing it. We bought the truck about 3 months ago and everything worked just fine. It started about 1 1/2 months ago. I called the local dodge dealerships and one told me that they don't work on any vehicle older than 2004 and the other said it would be a month before they can get me in.

The turn signals are working fine with the headlights on except that lamp out light and the beeping. IS there a way to stop the beeping?

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The turn signals are working fine with the headlights on except that lamp out light and the beeping. IS there a way to stop the beeping?

I had this same problem on my wife's JK Wrangler. Ground wire rotted off a connector.