Need help with a oil change situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2016 ram 2500 HEMI 6.4 L

So what’s happening right now is my tick has gotten worse ever since I did my last oil change and I don’t know necessarily why. I use the same oil which is the **** that you’re supposed to use apparently 0W 40 mobile one.

The problem I’m having right now is I have one jug of Mobil1 0w40 5qt. I need 7qt to do an oil change as we all know, I don’t have another 2 qt… I have a half jug of Delo 15w40 for the skytrak at work and that’s it. It’s 12:30 AM and nothing is open right now I am supposed to be showing the truck in the morning while at work to sell it. I have no time in the morning to go to Walmart and get oil and change it all before work and dropping my son off at school and showing this truck to this guy in order to sell it what I’m trying to do is use the 5 quarts I have a W 40 and wonder if I can use 2 quarts of 15 W 40 and if I can, what would it do, can it help the tick that I’m experiencing or will it make it worse? Can I even use 15 W 40 and my engine with it being two different brands of oil? Sorry guys but let’s keep in mind real quick that I am clueless on everything that has to do with oil and all the special little things that are inside of oil and what they do. I know nothing about it. Please don’t treat me too bad on this question. If you can help me understand what I can do to help my situation or if I can use 2 quarts of the 15w 40 on top of the other five of 0W40
Thanks in advance

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I would hope you don't try using 15w 40 oil. I'm not sure what this may do...
Do you still have your old dirty 0w40 oil that you drained? If yes then just use the 5qt of new oil and rest just put in your old oil, at least this won't harm anything...

As far as your engine noise, it should be same as before. Any "fix" from oil usually takes 500 miles or so to kick in, so it's not instant by any means.

Just pretend like the tick is normal for hemi and say it's just injectors...

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you still have your old dirty 0w40 oil that you drained? If yes then just use the 5qt of new oil and rest just put in your old oil, at least this won't harm anything...

As far as your engine noise, it should be same as before. Any "fix" from oil usually takes 500 miles or so to kick in, so it's not instant by any means.

Thanks, I didn’t know if I could put a little on top the cover the 2 qts I didn’t have but I won’t do that lol.

When changing your oil I’ve seen people talking about filling the filter. Never heard of that till recently can you explain that and what it’s for?

Octane

Reaction score
As far as engine noise, hemi isn't the only noisy engines out there. Even my Chevy 5.3 rattles like a pos but runs on forever.As my old slant six cylinder engine did years ago

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
All that would happen is that the oil would be slightly thicker. If you don’t live where it’s freezing ass cold shouldn’t be a problem. Might help with the tick because it would stick a little better. I use the pennzoil 0-40 that is recommended but I add a little Lucas oil treatment and it is thick as honey 6.4 hemi 180k kms no tick yet knock on wood lol

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
As long as it is not for Diesel engines because I believe that they have different additives

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
They don’t build them like they used to I had a 71 ford 300 straight 6 thatl leaked like a sieve my buddy gave me a 5 gallon pail of hydraulic oil that was 10 weight and I used to run it dry all the time couldn’t kill it

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I realize I'm a little late for helping the OP, but I would never recommending reusing old oil unless I urgently needed to use my vehicle and had no other options. As others have said, you will do no harm by adding two quarts of 15w40 to 5 quarts of 0w40. Oils are formulated to be able to be mixed with other brands and viscosity of oil. You may not get all the benefits of the additive package in either oil, but it won't hurt your engine.

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Glad I'm not the guy going to look at it. Are you going to throw in a tube of KY jelly or Poly grip?
Well I was going to use the KY jelly but remembered you ol lady and I needed it a few night prior. With that said, I ended up not changing the oil and waited to do it the right way this morning. No worries. Thanks for all the help and replies. Now I know I can use the 15w40 added in a bind.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Well I was going to use the KY jelly but remembered you ol lady and I needed it a few night prior. With that said, I ended up not changing the oil and waited to do it the right way this morning. No worries. Thanks for all the help and replies. Now I know I can use the 15w40 added in a bind.
Real mature reply there, I'm not blameless, I took the first shot, but c'mon man

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Real mature reply there, I'm not blameless, I took the first shot, but c'mon man
So you basically tried to insult my knowledge with the first half of the comment you made (when I’m here on a forum asking for help and to gain knowledge like I thought was the point of the website/forum we are in), then had to ask if I was using KY additive?

It’s like me showing up to a bar and your the bar tender and I ask you for a certain beer that y’all don’t have so you punch me in the throat for asking a silly question bc you know the answer and I don’t but I’m at the right place to drink a beer right? ._.

My fault, I’m sure you lady is a nice women.
hold on let me rephrase that.. I know for a fact your lady is a nice women.

Take care, thanks for none of the help. Everybody else including the admin, your help and knowledge is always appreciated and I learn to retain all the info y’all provide so thank you.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Buddy don’t worry about it lol short term mixing of oils will not hurt your engine unless you put heavy oil in it and you live in a cold ass place like Alberta. The 0 in 0/40 is the thinnest it can get 40 is the thickest. So if you live in Florida no problem if you live in Alberta could be a problem. Now additives that is a different thread. Don’t use Ky because it’s water based lol you hopefully don’t generate the same rpm’s. Not everyone walked out of the womb knowing everything but some people think that they did this is a good site for help with your truck. I am old and I learn things every day mostly still the hard way.

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Buddy don’t worry about it lol short term mixing of oils will not hurt your engine unless you put heavy oil in it and you live in a cold ass place like Alberta. The 0 in 0/40 is the thinnest it can get 40 is the thickest. So if you live in Florida no problem if you live in Alberta could be a problem. Now additives that is a different thread. Don’t use Ky because it’s water based lol you hopefully don’t generate the same rpm’s. Not everyone walked out of the womb knowing everything but some people think that they did this is a good site for help with your truck. I am old and I learn things every day mostly still the hard way.
Thanks for the help. Definitely appreciate getting real answers. Whether it’s peoples opinion on what’s right and wrong or “better”. It’s still a real answer from people who’ve been there and done that so either way it’s always something to learn in any debate. Take care

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti

Sorry I wasn't familiar with this oil brand or type, and thought that OP is about to use oil from his lawn mower or something :)