Need help with Infinity system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Laramie SLT 4x4 Club Cab
Engine
Just bought a 96 SLT Club Cab 4x4. It's going to be my winter beater the next few years I hope. Don't care much about having a great stereo in it, but would like to at least listen to some music on the radio or a football game. It has the Infinity tape deck in it. Display lights up and will tune to stations, but no sound is coming out of any of the speakers. Is this an easy fix or will I have to replace the whole system? If it has to be replaced, must I replace just the head unit, or must the speakers go too? Thanks.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
First thing I would do is make sure the speakers are hooked up . Second make sure that the wires to the HU are good , and also check the wires to the Amp are good .

If all 4 speakers are not on I would lean more toward the deck .

Welcome to RF

OP
OP
safetyfast

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay. Thanks for the welcome. I hope I got a good one. It's been unmolested, so I doubt anything is unhooked. Belonged to an older couple and only has 100k on the clock.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Welcome to RF from another 2nd genner

I'd do what Dave said. Even if the speakers are shot, you should be able to hear something. Either the head unit is gone or something is unplugged

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Welcome, yeah most likely the headunit is bad

OP
OP
safetyfast

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well crap. Guess I'll try to find a cheapie at Wal-mart. Anyone suggest a source for one of those mounting kits?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Mounting kits you can probably get at walmart.

Hey Dave are the factory head units the same back to 96?? Think a newer oem HU will retro to his truck?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I have a OEM infinity HU with the CD and tape . PM me if you want it . Came out of my 01

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
They should be the same I believe.

OP
OP
safetyfast

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Dave. PM on its way.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
now your going to have to replace your whole music collection with them in CD form, its a sad day for the cassettes. lol

OP
OP
safetyfast

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
now your going to have to replace your whole music collection with them in CD form, its a sad day for the cassettes. lol

I was in Wal-mart and they had a Dual receiver for $50 that has an iPod jack. I decided to go ahead and bring it into this decade! I got the wiring connecter too, so I hope it's a 10 minute install.

On the infinity tape deck, I found that if I keep turning the volume knob, it finally finds a sweet spot where I can hear music, but it's not loud enough to hear over the engine. If I keep turning it up it gets quieter and I have to turn it back down to get to the volume spot again. I presume that means the amp on the receiver is on its way out or the pot on the volume control is bad?

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a dual with an ipod jack. Had it wired in correctly and always had problems with it. Volume knob literally did not work. I heard the music but could not raise or lower the volume. In addition any sort of power draw (windsheild wipers, turn signals, headlights) severely affected the sound quality. Then 4 days after I bought it it just wouldn't turn on. I ripped it out and went to the junkyard, got an infinity hu for 25 bucks and never looked back.

OP
OP
safetyfast

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a dual with an ipod jack. Had it wired in correctly and always had problems with it. Volume knob literally did not work. I heard the music but could not raise or lower the volume. In addition any sort of power draw (windsheild wipers, turn signals, headlights) severely affected the sound quality. Then 4 days after I bought it it just wouldn't turn on. I ripped it out and went to the junkyard, got an infinity hu for 25 bucks and never looked back.

Oh Great! Well, at least if it doesn't work, I can take it back to Wallly world and exchange it.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
If you take it back , throw me 25 bucks and I will send you the OEM one CD and Tape

2011-09-14154355.jpg

OP
OP
safetyfast

safetyfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I'll let you know after I give the Dual a try.