Need Help with longtube Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raminator57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 5.7 hemi and installed ARH long tube Headers
1-7/8 https://americanracingheaders.com/c...truck-2019-long-system?variant=19842422112310

along with Diablo Tune 180 Thermostat and a catch can and K&N filter. I feels a lot sluggish now I regrett spending this money. It was pulling pretty hard for a truck with stock manifolds. So, From 1000-3000 RPM feels like a V6 and starts to pull a little more around 5000-6500. I put a stock muffler back on it to create more back pressure, but not much changed. Any advise besides the $9000K supercharger option?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah I wouldn’t be too happy after spending 2 grand on pipes either.

Even “high flow” cats will cause the secondary narrowband o2s to lean out the Long term fuel trims and you’ll eventually throw a code. Especially adding in a garbage canned tune that is bumping timing for more octane.

There are lot of great remote tuners for the 5.7 Hemi, just make sure they give you the TCM/PCM combo to make use of 100+ extra foot pounds of low end torque management lost from the factory.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta get a custom tune with the setup. Also might invest in something that will allow more intake air flow. But a custom tune should solve all your woes.

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before I clicked on your link I said I bet you put 1 7/8 headers on. I did the same thing and it killed the truck. Had a custom tune also and it didn’t matter they were just to big for my pretty much stock truck. Put the factory manifolds back on instantly loved it again. I was told 1 3/4 was biggest I wanted to go on just bolt on ram I should have listened. Think if I remember right it was almost 2 tenths slower at the track. This was also on a 5 speed auto maybe the 8 speeds make up for some of lost bottom end torque.

OP
OP
Raminator57

Raminator57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I wouldn’t be too happy after spending 2 grand on pipes either.

Even “high flow” cats will cause the secondary narrowband o2s to lean out the Long term fuel trims and you’ll eventually throw a code. Especially adding in a garbage canned tune that is bumping timing for more octane.

There are lot of great remote tuners for the 5.7 Hemi, just make sure they give you the TCM/PCM combo to make use of 100+ extra foot pounds of low end torque management lost from the factory.

Appreciate the kind response, can I get direction to where I can resolve this matter with a tune. is it worth to spend money on a
Victor EFI Gen III Chrysler HEMI Intake?

OP
OP
Raminator57

Raminator57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I clicked on your link I said I bet you put 1 7/8 headers on. I did the same thing and it killed the truck. Had a custom tune also and it didn’t matter they were just to big for my pretty much stock truck. Put the factory manifolds back on instantly loved it again. I was told 1 3/4 was biggest I wanted to go on just bolt on ram I should have listened. Think if I remember right it was almost 2 tenths slower at the track. This was also on a 5 speed auto maybe the 8 speeds make up for some of lost bottom end torque.

Lol love it best response so far, I am so mad at myself a complete retard move and made a rich man richer

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was so bummed and pissed I decided that I wanted to go back to a diesel. Put the stock manifolds back on and smiled again. Just being honest with you maybe think about taking them off, sell them, decide where to go. I had same headers, veraram intake, custom tune from one of the site supporters, and exhaust. It was a good running and towed my challenger great until I did the headers.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put 1 7/8 on my 2013. Ran dual exhaust into a x crossover into two mufflers. With my other upgrades it was beyond amazing. I didn’t have forced induction. But I had complete opposite happen for me. Not sure why.

OP
OP
Raminator57

Raminator57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put 1 7/8 on my 2013. Ran dual exhaust into a x crossover into two mufflers. With my other upgrades it was beyond amazing. I didn’t have forced induction. But I had complete opposite happen for me. Not sure why.

good to hear, can you list your upgrades and exhaust brand please, I have a tradesman, it did not come with dual exhaust. I am not a big fan dual.

OP
OP
Raminator57

Raminator57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was so bummed and pissed I decided that I wanted to go back to a diesel. Put the stock manifolds back on and smiled again. Just being honest with you maybe think about taking them off, sell them, decide where to go. I had same headers, veraram intake, custom tune from one of the site supporters, and exhaust. It was a good running and towed my challenger great until I did the headers.

I came from a diesel 2500 tuned to the gas side. Do not do it, It will cost you a fortune and a ***** to fix, every bolt on that beast needs a torch and hammer. 68RFE was replaced twice. one 4 wheel drive take off snapped the input shaft in half. EFI live and DEF delete with AFE intake, S&B intake and 35" tires was around $5K. the truck ran good but everything was a ***** to fix or replace. The two fuel filters at $150 a pop every 15000 miles, too much maintenance and costly.

OP
OP
Raminator57

Raminator57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

what your opinion on a SRT manifold https://www.ebay.com/itm/232482969148?epid=2294505602&hash=item362110963c:g:WlQAAOSwHm5ZtDYt

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had diesels with billet transmissions etc etc etc used to race in 11.50 diesel class in a 98 12valve. I have had 6 Cummins and 3 hemi trucks I love them both differently. Raminator what’s your goal with the truck? Just a little added grunt or you plan on dabbling at the track a little?

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
good to hear, can you list your upgrades and exhaust brand please, I have a tradesman, it did not come with dual exhaust. I am not a big fan dual.
I went dual with an x cross over due to I had no cats. And it sounded terrible at certain rpm. I put bolts exhaust mufflers and 5” tips. But I had Intake, throttle body, sos coils, tuner, pedal commander. After I installed the x crossover everything really opened up.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need a custom tune, Canned tunes are absolute junk.

Agreed 100%. Find a local tuner that can take advantage of the extra flow you have, and lower temps. Just a simple tune without any of those physical upgrades would net you 30 or 40 hp, or more. The stock tune is very neutered.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Appreciate the kind response, can I get direction to where I can resolve this matter with a tune. is it worth to spend money on a
Victor EFI Gen III Chrysler HEMI Intake?

Puting the muffler back on won’t do anything, the whole adage of needing enough back pressure is mostly a myth.

You need a tune, no other way around it. Changing more parts will just make it worse. Either put it back to stock, or get a tune. Even if you put smaller headers you’ll still need a tune to get the most out of it.

Doing any sort of mods on a modern engine requires a tune to get the most out of it, or even run properly.

Your PCM is calibrated to run properly with a certain amount of air, fuel and spark at a particular RPM and load. As soon as you change one of those the PCM starts seeing values it’s not used to It can have negative effects.

Canned tunes are also designed for a stock engine, even then they’re not that great.

If you’re not wanting to get a custom tune, just put it back to stock and sell the headers to try to recoup some money.

Last edited:

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put ARH 1 3/4 long tubes on my 5.7 challenger and it absolutely killed the performance, until i got a custom tune.. I already knew they needed to be tuned before installing but the 2 or so weeks between the install and the final custom tune felt like it was a 4 cyl.

After the tune it was a HUGE improvement over stock, 70k miles later and it still runs just as strong