need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sickpainter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have a 2003 quad cab 2500 4x4. Its got the 5.9 cummins with a freshly built NV-5600. Im losing tranny fluid. Its going into transfer case causing it to overfill and come out the tail shaft housing slinging all under the truck. Any ideas what could cause this.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
A few ideas, but none of them will make it any easier to fix. Are you sure it's tranny fluid? I thought the NV5600 was a 6spd manual trans.

OP
OP
S

sickpainter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
It is but it calls for dodge automatic tranny fluid.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I just spoke with a guy who had the same problem and he told me the transfer case was really easy to pull and that you'll find a seal on the trans side and one on the transfer case but he simply cleaned the surfaces and used silicone sealant. I imagine someone with hands on experience and not third party BS that I'm offering you will chime in here soon and help out. Good luck,

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I just reread your first post and it got me wondering. Are you certain it's not just the tailshaft seal. These are notorious for failing and slinging fluid under the rig, especially if the rear bushing is worn.