Need jumper cable recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I was not getting notices of the posts on this thread. I cannot believe this is still going on 8 pages later. It REALLY is not that friggin complicated. Anyone that thinks having the boosting vehicle running duuring hook up is a good idea is going to get a nasty surprise one day, even if you get away with it many times before. Even in the days before computers we never had the boost vehicle running during hookup. Use good cables, and hook them up in the well known order. They even make polarity controlled cables, just like polarity controlled booster boxes. If you can keep it regularly charged a Nocoo boost box is a good tool, but for starting a dead vehicle in -40, particularly a diesel, I would still rather have cables.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I ended up with a Schumacher jump box SL1612. Had good reviews and I could get one locally at O'Reilly. Has a 1-year warranty so I can return it easily if there are any issues. Tried it today and it did start our old F250 6.2L with an extremely low/dead battery. However as soon as I removed the box the engine died; so most likely the battery was too low/dead. Jump-started it with my Ram and then drove the truck about 35 miles to recharge the battery. The truck battery hasn't been the same since the brutal cold we had this winter.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I ended up with a Schumacher jump box SL1612. Had good reviews and I could get one locally at O'Reilly. Has a 1-year warranty so I can return it easily if there are any issues. Tried it today and it did start our old F250 6.2L with an extremely low/dead battery. However as soon as I removed the box the engine died; so most likely the battery was too low/dead. Jump-started it with my Ram and then drove the truck about 35 miles to recharge the battery. The truck battery hasn't been the same since the brutal cold we had this winter.
A good smart charger, like a Noco, will do a lot better job of reconditioning that battery to the extent possible and getting as much charge into as it can. Driving the truck no matter how far, will not be as good. Your point about having to boost the truck with the Dodge to keep it running demonstrates well why I have a preference for cables over jump boxes.

71hqXWEqiWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

NOCO GENIUS10, 10A Smart Car Battery Charger, 6V and 12V Automotive Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, Float Charger and Desulfator for AGM, Motorcycle, Lithium and Deep Cycle Batteries​

• Charge dead batteries - Charges batteries as low as 1-volt. Or use the all-new force mode that allows you to take control and manually begin charging dead batteries down to zero volts.
  • Restore your battery - An advanced battery repair mode uses slow pulse reconditioner technology to detect battery sulfation and acid stratification to restore lost battery performance for stronger engine starts and extended battery life.
  • Beyond maintenance - It's not just a battery trickle charger, it's an advanced battery charger maintainer. A fully-automatic, worry-free smart battery charger for everyday use - 24/7 - with zero overcharge.
  • Compatible with all types of gas and diesel vehicles - Charge and maintain cars, automobiles, motorcycles, dirt bikes, scooters, mopeds, lawn mowers, ATVs, UTVs, tractors, trucks, SUVs, RVs, campers, trailers, boats, PWCs, jet skis, snowmobiles, golf carts, classic cars, and more.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963