Need New Key Fobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victor Feldman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
So when I bought my 2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Larime it came with two fobs. The fob I was test driving with had the button for the remote start and it worked once or twice. As soon as I took possession of the truck it stopped working. I looked at the second fob and it didn't have the remote start button.

Of course the first thing I did was put new batteries in. The remote start worked when the fob was apart but when assembled it did not. After taking it apart and back together several times I gave up. When assembled the button was being depressed. It simply wont work. Take it apart and press directly on the circuit board and it works every time. I am assuming it is so weak that the fob case is blocking the signal.

So..I have seen key fobs on eBay but am hesitant to buy them. I will still have to go to the dealership an have them programmed.

What is the least expensive route to having two new fobs that work?

Thanks

Vic

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought 2 Fobiks for my '16 Rebel on Amazon for ~$36. Vendor was Keyless2go. Work great and I programmed them to the truck with AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
Victor Feldman

Victor Feldman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I bought 2 Fobiks for my '16 Rebel on Amazon for ~$36. Vendor was Keyless2go. Work great and I programmed them to the truck with AlfaOBD.

There are 530 pages on the AlfaOBA thread. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to buy to program the fobs myself?

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
There was a tread on here about fobs not long ago. What he found was the pads not aligning on the circuit board. he adjusted the pads and it worked for him.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regarding AlfaOBD, the first page in the thread outlines what you need to buy. OBD module, and then the AlfaOBD program on a tablet or phone. The Fobik programming process is outlined in post 2250 (go to page 225 in the thread).

Ram36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just let dealer do it iI had to on my 2010 got burned on false promises .

firemancooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
I was having problems with my remotes and replaced the rubber inlays. They both work great now. They were pretty cheap on amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The fobs lacking the remote start button likely still have the transmitter contacts for remote start on the board. They just dont have the button on the housings.

I added an OEM Mopar remote start kit to my ram. The Kit came with 2 new fobs, which had to be programmed to my new remote start rf hub. While at the dealer, i had them program the old keys to the new rf hub as well. They didnt have the remote start button, but i thought they be good spares and i didnt want to throw them away.

BUT:

I noticed while changing out the batteries that the my old fobs, while lacking the button on the housings still had the remote start contacts on the boards.

I bought new housings that had the remote start buttons on ebay, put my old fob boards in the new housings just on a hunch.

New housing:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/303019903174

Now i have 4 working fobs! And yes, remote start works on all 4!

Swap the boards from your non-remote start fobs, into the housings that have the remote start buttons. Try it! It might just work, mine did!!

Also, i had the same problem your having once. This was my problem, and my fix. Worked perfectly!!

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/key-fob-issue-and-how-i-fixed-it.94588/

Last edited:

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The other thing you can do is take them apart and clean the contacts and the rubber. I use dawn on the rubber and a pencil eraser on the contacts.

New rubbers are pretty cheap too!

I used these when I added my remote start used the original bases and electronics.

QualityKeylessPlus TWO... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MVAO6Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can I ask
The fobs lacking the remote start button likely still have the transmitter contacts for remote start on the board. They just dont have the button on the housings.

I added an OEM Mopar remote start kit to my ram. The Kit came with 2 new fobs, which had to be programmed to my new remote start rf hub. While at the dealer, i had them program the old keys to the new rf hub as well. They didnt have the remote start button, but i thought they be good spares and i didnt want to throw them away.

BUT:

I noticed while changing out the batteries that the my old fobs, while lacking the button on the housings still had the remote start contacts on the boards.

I bought new housings that had the remote start buttons on ebay, put my old fob boards in the new housings just on a hunch.

New housing:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/303019903174

Now i have 4 working fobs! And yes, remote start works on all 4!

Swap the boards from your non-remote start fobs, into the housings that have the remote start buttons. Try it! It might just work, mine did!!

Also, i had the same problem your having once. This was my problem, and my fix. Worked perfectly!!

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/key-fob-issue-and-how-i-fixed-it.94588/

Wondering what year you have, as well as what the dealer charged for programming.

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Did you have the remote start? I am wondering if it's possible to program the factory remote start with AlfaOBD. ThanksA

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can I ask

Wondering what year you have, as well as what the dealer charged for programming.

My truck is a 2013. The dealer charged 129$ to program all 4 keys. Rairdon Dodge in Bellingham, WA.

I've since bought an obdlink mx and alpha obd, so i can program them myself.

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is a 2013. The dealer charged 129$ to program all 4 keys. Rairdon Dodge in Bellingham, WA.

I've since bought an obdlink mx and alpha obd, so i can program them myself.
Thanks!

Was it difficult to program them yourself? I have the obdlink mx and this seems like as good a time as any to buy AlfaOBD.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Im not certain.

But, i i just went into alphaOBD to check. It does have 2012 non-powernet rf hub as a selectable option. And programming key fobs as a sub_option.

So, itll probly work.

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
An update- I tried the new fob skin and it still doesn't work. I don't know a lot about how the fobs work, but I tried some troubleshooting with a working fob from a work truck. Both of my fob skins (new and old) worked with the fob from the work truck. I switched batteries with the work truck fob and mine and that did nothing, so I know it's not the fob skin or a bad battery.

What's strange is that my key fob will still start my truck, even with no battery in it. That confuses me, as I would've thought whatever programming/etc is on the fob to get the ignition to run would require power.

I'm thinking I'll either need a new fob, or maybe the "receiver" on the truck is bad?

Greg8444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, 6 months later and I FINALLY got around to doing this. Worked slicker than **** using the free PIN Pull app and the full version of AlfaOBD. Many thanks to all who took time to answer!