Need new Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my Duratracs are starting to get warn down after about 50k so I'm starting to look. I know with tires you will get about 900 different opinions with one person saying a tire is loud and another saying the exact same tire is quiet. But figured I'd still throw it out to see any thoughts.

I don't care about noise much as my exhaust is louder than tires anyways. Carven.

I mainly care about looks over function but also don't want to be sliding all over non stop in snow and rain. Most AT tires I am not interested as they don't look aggressive enough to me. Like I said looks are probably my top priority. I only drive on slick roads 5 times a year so I can deal with MT's even if they aren't the best choice.

I don't want Goodyear again for political reasons, even though I liked my Duratracs and have had 3 sets. I like that for a tire that does get snow traction they have close to an MT look IMO.

Price doesn't matter that much. I'm normally a name brand tire guy, but in terms of what I'm looking for I feel like some of the smaller brands have a better fit as far as MT look with decent snow capability. After reading tons of reviews, videos, etc, mostly leaning toward these at moment:

Ridge Grappler: Similar to Duratrac in that they look fairly aggressive. Although some some I don't think are aggressive enough looking, depends on the size. I think the bigger the sidewall the less aggressive they look with Ridge Grappler. I have 18s with 35s so the sidewall will be decent giving it that rounded look I don't like as much. Yesterday was perfect example I parked next to 3 trucks with RG's and 2 had bigger rims and looked more aggressive than the one that had 18s. Side wall knobs are important for that look to me.

Kenda Klever RT: Didn't know about these until the other day I saw some driving and liked them. Looked into them and they have mostly great reviews and seem to be fine in all conditions. I do like the look as they are one of the most aggressive looking RT's IMO. I think the TOYO RT is the least aggressive looking, don't really like them.

Patagonia MT: Gets me into the mud terrain my preferred look which should be worse in snow, but for an MT these appear to get great snow reviews.

Yokohama Geolander MT: This was my original favorite. Like the looks. Get better snow reviews that many MT's, but prob not as praised as the Patagonia. Known to be loud and heavy are the negs.

Any other suggestions to look at?

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Love my Toyo's. Pretty quiet and last 40,000-50,000K miles. I have been running them on my trucks for over 20 years.

Attachments

• PU 35s 3.jpg
    PU 35s 3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 23

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven’t heard any complaints about Falkin wildpeaks.
They look aggressive and are great. I have over 65k on mine. State Inspection 2 weeks ago and they still measured 12/32nds. I will be replacing them next year and going to a 35x12.50. But they will be Falkens without a doubt!

Attachments

• 2A77A679-3DC9-48D2-A53F-436A8D5830C3.jpeg
    2A77A679-3DC9-48D2-A53F-436A8D5830C3.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 14DD87DA-202D-44CE-9F5E-EE25E01F6CA8.jpeg
    14DD87DA-202D-44CE-9F5E-EE25E01F6CA8.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 21

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So my Duratracs are starting to get warn down after about 50k so I'm starting to look. I know with tires you will get about 900 different opinions with one person saying a tire is loud and another saying the exact same tire is quiet. But figured I'd still throw it out to see any thoughts.

I don't care about noise much as my exhaust is louder than tires anyways. Carven.

I mainly care about looks over function but also don't want to be sliding all over non stop in snow and rain. Most AT tires I am not interested as they don't look aggressive enough to me. Like I said looks are probably my top priority. I only drive on slick roads 5 times a year so I can deal with MT's even if they aren't the best choice.

I don't want Goodyear again for political reasons, even though I liked my Duratracs and have had 3 sets. I like that for a tire that does get snow traction they have close to an MT look IMO.

Price doesn't matter that much. I'm normally a name brand tire guy, but in terms of what I'm looking for I feel like some of the smaller brands have a better fit as far as MT look with decent snow capability. After reading tons of reviews, videos, etc, mostly leaning toward these at moment:

Ridge Grappler: Similar to Duratrac in that they look fairly aggressive. Although some some I don't think are aggressive enough looking, depends on the size. I think the bigger the sidewall the less aggressive they look with Ridge Grappler. I have 18s with 35s so the sidewall will be decent giving it that rounded look I don't like as much. Yesterday was perfect example I parked next to 3 trucks with RG's and 2 had bigger rims and looked more aggressive than the one that had 18s. Side wall knobs are important for that look to me.

Kenda Klever RT: Didn't know about these until the other day I saw some driving and liked them. Looked into them and they have mostly great reviews and seem to be fine in all conditions. I do like the look as they are one of the most aggressive looking RT's IMO. I think the TOYO RT is the least aggressive looking, don't really like them.

Patagonia MT: Gets me into the mud terrain my preferred look which should be worse in snow, but for an MT these appear to get great snow reviews.

Yokohama Geolander MT: This was my original favorite. Like the looks. Get better snow reviews that many MT's, but prob not as praised as the Patagonia. Known to be loud and heavy are the negs.

Any other suggestions to look at?
What area of the country are you in?

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Only 893 more opinions to go....
I had BFG KO2's on my first RAM which I liked but were way too much tire than I needed. On my last two RAM's I went with Falken Wildpeaks and have been pleased.

truck3.jpg

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What area of the country are you in?
Boise, Idaho. We mostly get snow in the Mtns, but only a bit in the valley usually as its a high desert. So we get some slick days but usually they get it cleaned off pretty quickly. My cousin owns a logging company and they pretty much run all MT's and drive in the mtns a lot during the winter. He had no complaints.

Only actual MT I've had is the BFG MT when I had my Wrangler. Drove it in the winter fine. I don't need an MT I don't drive off road that often, but like I said I prefer looks over function.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m happy with my Nitto Recons, they look great and aren’t as aggressive as the ridge grapplers.

Toyo has a new tire that looks great, very similar to the Ridge Grappler.

https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-rt-trail/

Lots of great tires to choose from these days

View attachment 507965
See I like the pic of the toyo RT looks great. But for some reason in person I don't think they look as aggressive as the other options. Think its due to less sidewall knobs

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T fits the bill.​

Love how they look. Just not sure how they would do on ice. Read some reviews they are pretty slick on ice. Granted most MT's are but seems like I've heard it more with the Nitto's

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Love how they look. Just not sure how they would do on ice. Read some reviews they are pretty slick on ice. Granted most MT's are but seems like I've heard it more with the Nitto's

What tire is good on ice without studs?

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just have the center tread sipped if you are that worried.

I ran them on my 08 powerwagon, both sipped and non sets and the sipped were a little better in the rain/snow.

But again you are simply going for looks so does the tires actual performance really matter?

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just have the center tread sipped if you are that worried.

I ran them on my 08 powerwagon, both sipped and non sets and the sipped were a little better in the rain/snow.

But again you are simply going for looks so does the tires actual performance really matter?
Yeah thought of that. I found another tire I'm really liking the look of at the moment, at least in pics. I havent' seen them in person but the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. Looks to have decent siping for a mud. Kind of like the Nitto in that it's designed to a be a more road friendly MT, but has better reviews almost every where than the Nitto.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio