Need Opinions on New Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cneagle87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello guys. I am new here but I am about to purchase a 2011 1500 Big Horn 4x4 crew cab hemi. It is a very sharp truck and it has about 93k miles. I can get if for $17k. I used to have an 04 cummins and have been trying to read up on these models and I read about the lifter issue. I know this is a good deal but I dont want to drop the money on something that may not last. I just wanted your take on this. Is the Lifter issue a huge widespread issue or just here and there? Thank you all.

Blazerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hy,

I dont know the prices in the [emoji631], i think it's fair.
I bougt my 2011 with 137000 Kilometers for 26k Euro.

But an Laramie with painted Backflip and installed cargas.

In Germany we have to pay more than 1,40 Euro PER LITRE gasoline.

Greetings from Germany e20f94540b5496c62ecca193c6d7dbd7.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Speaking on what I have been around. The police car Hemis are known to eat lifters. Idling may be a cause of the issue but can’t swear to it. I was driving one and it was running fine. Shut it off and went to restart it without success. Found to be lifter and cam went bad. I think the mds has something to do with it. When it is in four cylinder mode it has to add stress to the 4 not firing in my opinion.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly it’s hard to say and give an opinion on here. Do you have access to full service records of the truck.

It’***** or miss really you could buy the truck and never have an issue with your cam/lifters if you maintain it. Or you could end up with a problem right away. It’s impossible to tell or see it comming.

If you read on these forums, in this section to be exact some people say 2011 was the worst year for 4th gen rams eating cams/lifters.

OP
OP
C

cneagle87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the carfax and the service records. There has been no issue with it. The current owner is a mechanic and has taken extremely good care of it. and i have read the concerns too. like you said, you never know.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the carfax and the service records. There has been no issue with it. The current owner is a mechanic and has taken extremely good care of it. and i have read the concerns too. like you said, you never know.

If it’s in great shape like you say and you feel it’s worth it then go ahead. It’s your choice in the end we can’t pull the trigger for you.

However have you looked at any newer year trucks such as 2014+? Or are you looking at a 2011 due to financials?

Blazerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine, Lifters and cam are really different?
I dont think so, one of the biggest advanteges on US cars (RAMs also) is the modular system.

European and japanese cars have different parts for every engine, year and line.

The 5.7 HEMI is an 5.7 HEMI like an 350cui in the past.
The only known different i know is the steering pump?

Greetings from Germany

OP
OP
C

cneagle87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yes I am wanting to stay around the 17-18k range and under 100k miles. but i'm also wanting to have some of the nicer amenities like leather seating and front captain chairs and the luxury package, remote start, etc. And I wont find a 2014+ with that close to that range. Do the 2014+ not have the the lifter issue like 2011?

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes I am wanting to stay around the 17-18k range and under 100k miles. but i'm also wanting to have some of the nicer amenities like leather seating and front captain chairs and the luxury package, remote start, etc. And I wont find a 2014+ with that close to that range. Do the 2014+ not have the the lifter issue like 2011?

Fair enough. The lifter issue can happen in any year range up to 2019. I was just asking because the jump to the 8speed transmission is well worth the money in my opinion. But in your case I’m not sure that would be a deal breaker

Blazerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The transmission question was the same for me.

While normal driving there is no relevant argument for it.

Maybe in towel mode?
I think the electrical goodies e.g. power mirrors, netter steering wheel, uConnect etc. are really better and worth more money.
Miles are not really important, more important are done or not done fluid changes.

For me, i like the shifter more as the wheel knob.

Next RAM will be a MY2018 but i will drive my actual one a few years, because i love this truck

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Speaking on what I have been around. The police car Hemis are known to eat lifters. Idling may be a cause of the issue but can’t swear to it. I was driving one and it was running fine. Shut it off and went to restart it without success. Found to be lifter and cam went bad. I think the mds has something to do with it. When it is in four cylinder mode it has to add stress to the 4 not firing in my opinion.[/Q .

Both MDS and non MDS lifters fail so I doubt it is related to MDS. My opinion, worth about 2 cents, is it is a quality control issue.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Agree it is a crapshoot. There are many hemis on the road that go 250000 miles + with out an issue. Another thought would be to step up a couple model years and find a truck with the V6. Take one for a test drive and see if it works for your needs. Might not cost much more than what you are looking at.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Don't do it, it's rediculois to spend $17k on a 8 year old truck...

How long do you think it'll last? Down line, you'll be spending money on repairs of various random things which will be similar to making payments on a newer truck.

Manifold bolts, lifters and cam... Are all common issues and are expensive to fix. Not to mention that your suspension will be wobbly around 100k

Get at least 2014+ as the 8 speed transmission is awesome

OP
OP
C

cneagle87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't do it, it's rediculois to spend $17k on a 8 year old truck...

How long do you think it'll last? Down line, you'll be spending money on repairs of various random things which will be similar to making payments on a newer truck.

Manifold bolts, lifters and cam... Are all common issues and are expensive to fix. Not to mention that your suspension will be wobbly around 100k

Get at least 2014+ as the 8 speed transmission is awesome

I understand what you are saying. I've looked at the 2014's and they are out of what I am wanting to spend right now. I have got the price down to 16000 now (banks appraisal is over $20k so already have equity). I can drive it a couple years and resale with some equity and go for the 8 speed in a couple years when I'm ready to drop the extra money. And just hope to not have any issues in the meantime.

Blazerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for my IMHO,

but i think thats nonsense, why must be an MY2011 bad?

Maybe the price is to high (SLT, Single Cab, Laramie, Sport?)
But an 8 years old truck is not bad.
High milage is no problem, it's not an 1.4 litre honda[emoji6]

I have an 2011 Laramie with 140000 Kilometers and absoletly no problems, take care about the oil services, have a look to the electric and Transmission, rust etc.
Used cars are no bad cars, most of them are better as brandnew in fact of all first repairs are done.

My K5s from 1979 was a very good car without any technical problems too [emoji6]

OP
OP
C

cneagle87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

How does it sound to you all?

Last edited:

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello guys. I am new here but I am about to purchase a 2011 1500 Big Horn 4x4 crew cab hemi. It is a very sharp truck and it has about 93k miles. I can get if for $17k. I used to have an 04 cummins and have been trying to read up on these models and I read about the lifter issue. I know this is a good deal but I dont want to drop the money on something that may not last. I just wanted your take on this. Is the Lifter issue a huge widespread issue or just here and there? Thank you all.

I'd be very careful. If you really want it, make sure you get some sort of extended warranty. I got my 2011 1500 with 100k miles in November. Lifters and camshaft both failed within the first month of driving it. Thankfully warranty covered almost all of the cost. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cneagle87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd be very careful. If you really want it, make sure you get some sort of extended warranty. I got my 2011 1500 with 100k miles in November. Lifters and camshaft both failed within the first month of driving it. Thankfully warranty covered almost all of the cost. Good luck.

what warranty company did you use?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
17k for 2014 with 90k no thanks. You would be better off finding a newer used. Never really look at the price of the truck but the interest if financing. Newer truck loan let's say 2% now get a truck with 90k on it truck loan is now 5-7% or more. Your payments will be the same if not more depending on interest rate. Especially with only $8,000 difference in price.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although you'll probably be fine if the first owner was good about how often and what kind of oil he
was using on his oil changes, just keep in mind that that is also around the mileage we typically see the
cam\lifter failures on the 5.7. If there is no detectable lifter tick coming from the engine, I would
start using Redline 5W30 with an excellent synthetic filter like the RP 10-48 or larger 20-820 for some
insurance...