Need Rear-End Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After my rear-ending, I'm looking to add something on the hitch for a bit more protection.

I'm looking at these 3 on Amazon. I like the battering ram design of the pintle plate (only 6" shank).

Any thoughts? Something better? Prefer solid steel, no plastic/rubber.

UKbGOFc.png

3lHp6nr.png

OShcize.png

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Maybe a heavier duty bumper. If you use the hitch to absorb an impact you are more likely to end up with frame damage vs using the bumper
Not necessarily. The bolts will shear off prior to any frame damage.
Yes an offroad type bumper would be my recommendation but for some the cost is way more than the worth.

Blue Mule

Edit: frame damage 'can still occur' but can help to minimize the damage.
Blue Mule
McBroom

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any of the three you pictured would be better than nothing, but I agree a better bumper would be the best choice.
** I have to admit that after I read the title of your thread I thought maybe you were in jail and looking for some advice----LOL
Jay

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
A protruding hitch will only protect a light direct impact, anything offset or at an angle will be the same result.

E0BF675D-5DE6-46CE-87B5-8F3A9CE5D88E.jpeg

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The problem with the "beavertail" style hitch steps are that they are cast. They are susceptible to breaking if you step on them.

I've been in 3 rear end collisions in the year that I have lived here. They were low speed impacts; mostly people not paying attention at stoplights. All 3 were in my 2010 Kia though. Its just my A to B beater.

I have been looking at this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTXCNT...olid=2WPNDSTEE974Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
51Id4GUc6OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I realize that it would do nothing for an offcenter impact but I'm just trying to save the bumper. Nothing will prevent damage of a major impact. So either the bumper takes the hit and tweaks the frame or the hitch receiver takes the hit and bends the frame. Hopefully with this style it would deflect the car under the bumper a bit.

Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I just keep a cheapie $20 2" chrome hitch in the receiver. Works like a charm, and because it's shiny, it tends to get people to not tailgate. I daresay that I can only recall one person tailgating since I did that a year-and-a-half ago, just after I bought the truck and put the receiver in.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think there is a free replacement for the Spare Bumper should it get damaged in an accident.

I usually spray some lube, don't get excited, onto the "shaft" of the Spare Bumper every few months. I don't want any issues with being able to pull out early!

Spare Bumper1.jpg
Spare Bumper2.jpg

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In Ontario Canada, and believe that all province it is illegal to drive with any thing in your hitch unless it is used. So all the trucks that you see with the trailer hitch ball they can be subject to a $250 fine. I would check in your states before using them I know you protect your truck but when you get a ticket after you are not at fault and are rear ended would be insult

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes an offroad type bumper would be my recommendation but for some the cost is way more than the worth.

Blue Mule

I will respectfully disagree. I had one of those hitch mount steps made out of some solid mild steel. When I got rear ended sitting at a red light, the step survived. The frame on the truck bent enough the box hit below the rear window and left a crease across the sheet metal. the frame was twisted leaving the truck leaning to one side.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good info to have re: Ontario Law.

I wonder if it has ever been debated that the Spare Bumper is being used when it is in place. Depending on the wording of the law I suppose.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Blue Mule
False. My father was rear ended in his Tacoma. Had a hitch in. It bent the hitch downward and pulled the frame down. Since his truck was only a year old he got a brand new frame on the truck. But the hitch being the point of impact was what caused all the damage. You should never rely on the hitch as an impact absorber, it can’t distribute impact forces well enough.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
After my rear-ending, I'm looking to add something on the hitch for a bit more protection.

I'm looking at these 3 on Amazon. I like the battering ram design of the pintle plate (only 6" shank).

Any thoughts? Something better? Prefer solid steel, no plastic/rubber.

UKbGOFc.png

3lHp6nr.png

OShcize.png

I personally like the smittybilt one (top pic)

I’ve been meaning to get one myself. Someone I know rear ended a truck with something in the hitch and the car looked like someone used the jaws of life down the centre of their front end lol.

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?